Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Graphics card funny turn?

For all your questions and answers regarding FS2004 (FS9) and FSX.
If you have problems, post them here....
DanBeeden

Graphics card funny turn?

Post by DanBeeden » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 am

Hi all,

We recently had a new hard drive installed in our machine due to a failure meaning a total reinstall of everything including FS9. I've come up against a problem I had a few years ago that a friend helped me solve when the machine was brand new. Having to reinstall everything again means it's reared its ugly head again.

Prior to the recent PC problem and subsequent new hard drive, the skies, cloud textures and ground colours (after dark) on FS9 looked super. Dusk blue skies merged seamlessly from light colours in the direction of the sunset to dark blues when you looked towards the approaching night. However, at the moment I don't have these nicely blending textures. Instead colours appear as bands in the sky and the cloud textures and ground textures (the latter is really noticeable after dark) look 'oily'. I've attached a couple of screen grabs below.

I seem to remember we did something with the Graphics card set up that fixed it but I'm damned if I can remember what it was. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD2400 XT.

I'm not a PC technical expert so please word any responses accordingly!

Any advice or guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks very much in advance,

Dan

POL

Re: Graphics card funny turn?

Post by POL » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 am

Looks like you're only using 16-bit colours in flightsim.

Look at the screen resolution you're using in FS, does it end x16 or x32? It should be the latter :)

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 am

This happens when you don't have any filtering turned on.
I have a Geforce 8600M GT and if i have my filtering turned off, i get exactly what you have shown in the images.
If i switch it to Bilinear or trilinear or anisotropic, the blending of the scenery goes back to normal (how it should be).

Check your filter options in the Display settings.

I have tried 16bit and 32bit and currently on 16bit now and it doesn't do that unless i have the filtering off on both 16 or 32.

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Many thanks for your responses Gents I'll have a look this evening and feed back.

Cheers

btaylo24

Post by btaylo24 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Guys

There is a product called Nvidia Inspector that can optimise your graphic card for FS9/ FSX.

See this thread on SIMFORUMS

http://www.simforums.com/forums/nhancer ... 36586.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth looking at.

Barry
MAIW

aviationcafe

Post by aviationcafe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm

btaylo24 wrote:Guys

There is a product called Nvidia Inspector that can optimise your graphic card for FS9/ FSX.

See this thread on SIMFORUMS

http://www.simforums.com/forums/nhancer ... 36586.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth looking at.

Barry
MAIW
Thats for Nvidia cards, The Original Poster has an ATI one
The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD2400 XT.
if you want to tweak the graphics card could always try ATI Tray tools

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Chris et al,

Many thanks for your responses - FS was indeed set up to a screen resolution ending in 'x16'. Simply switching it over to 'x32' solved the problem and it's back as it should be, and looking good.

All best,

Dan

Return to “Flight Simulator Technical Board”