Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Multiplayer queries in FS9

For all your questions and answers regarding FS2004 (FS9) and FSX.
If you have problems, post them here....
DanBeeden

Multiplayer queries in FS9

Post by DanBeeden » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 am

Hello all,

Seeking some advice from the resident experts. One of my roles as a Civilian Instructor with my ATC Squadron (115 Peterborough) is to run and develop the 'Flight Simulator Training Flight' whereby we have 5 PCs set up with FS9 and a 'condensed PPL' syllabus that I work through with cadets who have a special interest in flying. Over a 6-8 month period, we work on basic flying skills before progressing to navigation, instrument flying, night flying etc. Essentially what I am trying to do is create a realistic, challenging and fun environment within which the cadets can get the best feel for flying without their feet actually leaving the ground.

We run FS2004 on all machines.

We have just recently networked the machines and can successfully run multiplayer sessions which really does open up a huge new world of opportunities in terms of formation flying. In relation to this I have a few questions:

1) Is the default FS9 multiplayer option the best bet for what we are doing? Or would an internet-based host be better? We will only ever be multiplaying with the PCs in the room, not people in different locations, etc.
2) I noticed that as soon as you set up a multiplayer session, all the AI traffic vanishes. The AI is an element of our set up that adds a lot of realism and it's a real shame FS9 apparently can't support both. However, are there other online multiplayer sites/fixes that I can use so that we can multiplayer and have AI traffic?
3) I would be very interested if anyone has any recommendations for a really nice FS9 aircraft that would be ideal as a mount for our training activities (Payware is fine). Most of what we do is in the Carenado Cessna 182 and PA28 Archer as these are such superb models that offer a very realistic and sensible training platform for the cadets. However when it comes to aerobatics and formation flying I need something with a bit more grunt (high performance propellor-driven trainer ideally), but not a jet as very quickly we'll have smoking craters all around the airfield. My thought at the moment is the Carenado T-34 Mentor, but I would be interested in any suggestions? The Alphasim Turbo Mentor looked great in reviews but I can't find it anywhere online. Is there a good Tucano out there? Any others?

All advice gratefully received. Many thanks,

Dan

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Re: Multiplayer queries in FS9

Post by garyscott » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 am

Firstly . . . .
http://www.simshed.co.uk/Tucano.html

As for AI in a multiplayer environment, it isnt really possible. The AI would have to be identical on all machines, and all AI flights would have to be synchronised, which would be a nightmare for the host machine.
There was something called IBnet, an Italian program for FS2004 if i remember, that "could" integrate AI into multiplayer sessions, I HAVE NEVER USED IT, but from what i remember it was a devil to set up.
http://www.ibirdsoft.altervista.org/ - Main page, hit translate!

Hope this helps in someway.

:thumb:

ukmil

Post by ukmil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:02 pm

If I can suggest, upgrading the machines to run FSX

That way, you can keep the AI alongside the multiplayer, but remember, the AI are not tied on the network, so unless all 5 machines have the same traffic files, and start the sim at the same time, then each will see different traffic :unsure:

Once in FSX, I can recommend the UKMIL Grob Tutor, which has been upgraded by the guys who actually run the sim at Cranwell, to mimic the exact cockpit of both types of Tutor

As for multiplayer, you have 2 options, you can run FSHOST on one of the machines, and run FSINN on one,

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Many thanks for your responses Gents.

The Tucano looks good and will be installed this evening. I saw that IRIS Simulations did a very nice T-6 Texan II but the FS9 version no longer appears available.

I fully understand the complications related to AI traffic and should have realised this myself. We'll make do without the AI traffic for the formation work I think.

We won't be upgrading to FSX for a number of reasons. One is cost (not so much the software but the computing power needed to run it well) but more so a huge amount of work has gone into setting up these 5 machines on FS9 with all the scenery files, missions, traffic etc, so to re-do all this would take a heck of a lot of time. Other than the multiplayer/AI incompatability,FS9 suits us down to the ground.

Thanks for the information,
Dan

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Found a few possibles, the IRIS PC-9 says FSX, but i am sure i had it going no probs in FS9 several months ago.
If i remember rightly, if you are ham fisted with the throttle, expect a blown engine with all the flames and burps!
http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... sage=saved

And the description here for the Texan II (IRIS), says both FSX and FS9 compatibility, might DL this myself!
http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... ategoryId=

EDIT AGAIN!: Dont bother with these, just DL'd them, and they are deffo FSX, strange though, because i have had the IRIS PC-9 in FS9 . . . :huh: :(

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 am

I must have been one of the few that got the FS9 installer version, because i found it on my HD. Loaded it in, and goes like a charm!
Taking off, from Gloucester Staverton, from the "Aeros" parking pan which is opposite the hangar in the background.
(Flown from there in RL several times in a Zlin thanks to the wife!) . . .

. . . . And landing back after a medium level handling check . . .
(Aeros hangar in light blue, near the grey hangar)

:thumb:

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes indeed it looks good. I tried the Simshed Tucano which is very nice - it goes like stink and I quickly realised that the cadets - some of whom are struggling with a Cessna 182, will not have any luck with a Tucano.

However, I purchased the Carenado T-34 Mentor and it is ideal. Just the right performance for an introduction to formation flying and basic aeros. It is a stunning product (like other Carenado add ons we use) and not only is nice to fly, looks fantastic inside and out.

There was an additional question I asked in my original post re how best to host an FS9 multiplayer session when people are all on the same network (ie in the same room). Is the default FS9 multiplayer ok? The only hitch I noticed was the other a/c jumping once or twice.

Many thanks for previous responses

ukmil

Post by ukmil » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 pm

the built in server, does have issues. one of the most stable servers, but not the easiest to use is

http://www.ibirdsoft.altervista.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

failing that, you can also set up

http://youtu.be/7pUVMDS4pSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which again gives a stable flightsim network, but not the easiest to use

lastly, there is FSINN

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:57 am

Some additional queries - thanks for responses so far!

Last night we were able to get 3 or the 5 machines at HQ networked so using the terrific Carenado Mentor, we did a short 3-ship formation trip from Marham. The cadets will get their first stab on Monday. Looked very good and quite an exciting new part of our-set up.

A few questions:

1) When all 3 T-34s were sat on the runway at Marham, they were at slightly different heights. One looked to be sunk by about a foot into the tarmac. At Lakenheath one of them was levitating by a couple of feet. The scenery is identical (ie Marham ACG scenery on all machines). Why is this? Along the same lines, one of the aircraft always looked to have its gear retracted (on the other 2 machines) although it was quite clearly down on the aircraft in question, as shown on the PC it was being flown from.

2) Functions like lights, open canopy and smoke system do not appear visible to the other users. Is this normal?

3) In close formation, everything is smooth but if people get a bit disjointed and the aircraft get further apart, one of the aircraft seemed to be jumping around from time to time. Any thoughts on why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan

ukmil

Post by ukmil » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:03 pm

1) this is 'usually' down to the CFG of the aircraft, and how the static height is set. If it is not done correctly, then it will look like that. When your PC tries to display it, it takes the height to display it, from the static height section. Now, I would have suggested Carenado have it done right. easiest way to check, is in your sim, when in the Mentor, go to the external view and press SLEW 'Y'. Does your aircraft sink, or raise at all, or is it rock solid, when going into and out of Slew?

2) yes, normal. you can only get those options on other servers. Lights work on most, but animations and smoke do not. If you like smoothness and animation in your flight sim, you might try IBNet (http://www.ibirdsoft.altervista.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Takes a little bit of set up and port forwarding, but there is a good manual on that site as well as mine written by me with the approval of the software developer.

3) as above. the normal servers, like the built in one, or FSHOST do not update quick enough, so aircraft positions jump

3 greens

Post by 3 greens » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Sounds strange and might not be helpfull....Try FSX and game spy. you can host your own flights on a locked session. If you wish coms then skype or teamspeak, both freeware. FSX is still around I saw a copy in game for £14-00. You can load up to 7/8 times. As you may know there are lots of top scenery and aircraft to fly again free......Can supply links if you wish Regards Ray

Return to “Flight Simulator Technical Board”