Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Red Arrows 2021 pilots

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
Philwinward

Red Arrows 2021 pilots

Post by Philwinward » Tue May 12, 2020 7:17 am

In view of the loss of the majority of this years air displays, I wonder if the RAF will allocate any new pilots to the team for the 2021 season or will they slip things for 12 months.?

reaper493

Re: Red Arrows 2021 pilots

Post by reaper493 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:25 am

I was thinking about this as well.

It's been a messy few years for the Reds.

With the tragic crash of 2018s Red 3 meaning Mike Ling was brought back, then Steve Morris was brought back to replace Lingy for 19/20.
Then last years Red 3 (David Simmonds) broke his leg, so was replaced by Mike Bowden, (who had already left the air force and was flying Airliners), David is back this year as Red 5.
This years Red 8 was last years Red 2, normally he would have gone to the number 4 slot I think?

Normal 3 year rotation seems to have long gone, with multiple pilots staying on for longer. I think they will keep this years team for next year. That seems logical, surely it must be cheaper to keep these guys current, than train up 3 brand new pilots for next year, including a new leader?

I would hope they keep all of this years display crews (inc Typhoon, Chinook) for next year.

Mike

C24

Post by C24 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 am

It is past the time for Spring Hawk and the selection process for next years’ pilots so keeping the current lot makes sense. It is iffy that next year will require a show team(s).
All supposition of course.
Any hints on the FaceTwit thingys?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Not seen anything on Faceache. There are numerous groups of 'enthusiasts' on there, I'm sure one of them will know.... :whistle:

I think the only Airshows left, that haven't said they are Cancelled yet is Cosford, which has been postponed, and the Duxford BoB airshow in September.
The latter how ever are still pushing tickets and giving people the option of switching their May and Flying Legends tickets for then.

Personally I cant see either happening.

We may just got a few more flypasts at some point, if we are lucky.

Mike

Return to “RAF Scampton”