Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Scampton viewing guide.

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
Mike

RAF Scampton viewing guide.

Post by Mike » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

With many thanks to the Thunder and Lightnings site. :thumb:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... ampton.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The following is info from member "RedsSnapper" :-

The area marked C on the map is effectively now a no-go - you could still walk round from the official viewing area but as you'd not be able to go past the high fence, at best, it would be pointless to be honest.

For a first-time visitor I'd suggest parking in the official viewing area (A on the map) and walking up to the crash gate. Decent views of the jets taxiing out (for Runway 22 - note the numbers on the map are wrong) or back if they've used 04. Decent views also of flying - although for low synchro stuff a step ladder might prove useful unless you're exceptionally tall.

Please ignore references to parking at the track at Point D on the map - cars parking in this track near the approach lights is one of the things that's upset the landowner! Equally ignore references to parking at point J - not though you can access that now by car anyway - thanks to the actions of a small number of idiots several years ago there is a gate on this track now. Sadly point L is also less useful than it used to be as the residents locally are also less than happy about the number of cars that sit parked up in the car park there - one to be used sparingly - grab your ubiquitous head-on taxi shot and move on!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

kevshore

Re: RAF Scampton viewing guide.

Post by kevshore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm

I thought that it may be worth mentioning that the farmer that owns the land in Aisthorpe, where the lane leads up to viewing point 'H' has now put a gate/barrier up. I popped over to the village garage to enquire as to why. I was told that the farmer has "had enough" of cars going up the lane and will lock anyone in that he see's up there. The barrier was open when I last looked. But they where very adamant that he would lock it if he saw anyone up there.
A real shame. I liked that spot.

Kev.

jediwarrior

Post by jediwarrior » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm

where would be best place to park to get pics B, C, D ????

mickfgr2

Post by mickfgr2 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:09 pm

that all depends on what type of shots you want.I would suggest B for taxi shots, assuming they are using that runway & C+D for airborne/approaching aircraft shots,this also dependant on sun position & wind direction.hth Mick

RedsSnapper

Post by RedsSnapper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Update to this: Current as of 18th Feb 2016.

The landowner at the 22 end is now politely informing people that the land there is private and asking them to leave. He entirely understands that many of us who have frequented that end are responsible, access via the fenceline etc, but his take is that people attract people, and in his words "I know you guys are fine, but it's the rest of them". If you want to view from that end please go no further than the end of the tall fence where the wooden fence starts, and under NO circumstance go over/onto the crops/field there or even that limited access will be withdrawn.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm hoping to pay a visit to Scampton in Early March.

As it's my first trip please could any of the regulars point me in the right direction for places to view & take photo's without annoying any of the local landowners.

More than Happy to park & hike to suitable spots so's not to damage the relationship with the local poplace/landowners etc.

I gather the guide may be a bit out of date with access permission withdrawn etc...

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Can any of the locals confirm exactly which locations on the map are now "no-go" areas please?

Many thanks. :thumb:

RedsSnapper

Post by RedsSnapper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Mike - the area marked C on the map is effectively now a no- go - you could still walk round from the official viewing area but as you'd not be able to go past the high fence, at best, it would be pointless to be honest.

For a first-time visitor Andy I'd suggest parking in the official viewing area (A on the map) and walking up to the crash gate. Decent views of the jets taxiing out (for Runway 22 - note the numbers on the map are wrong) or back if they've used 04. Decent views also of flying - although for low synchro stuff a step ladder might prove useful unless you're exceptionally tall.

Please ignore references to parking at the track at Point D on the map - cars parking in this track near the approach lights is one of the things that's upset the landowner! Equally ignore references to parking at point J - not though you can access that now by car anyway - thanks to the actions of a small number of idiots several years ago there is a gate on this track now. Sadly point L is also less useful than it used to be as the residents locally are also less than happy about the number of cars that sit parked up in the car park there - one to be used sparingly - grab your ubiquitous head-on taxi shot and move on! :P

Hope this helps chaps!

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks for the info, RedsSnapper - I'll add your info to the original post. :thumb:

RedsSnapper

Post by RedsSnapper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:24 am

Cheers Mike!

As a further note to this, while standing on the track at the 04 end yesterday, 2 idiots were seen calmly trampling over the crops to get to the fence. Someone somewhere knows who these people were - of that I'm sure, they may even be reading this. PLEASE do not do this - seriously - we are now within a whisker of the landowner simply throwing everyone off the areas at BOTH ends at Scampton - if you're not fit to walk what, an extra 50 yards around the road to reach the fenceline, then I suggest you stay in your cars and watch from there, however, the problem looked to be less physical and more a severe case of lazy-itis and not giving a damn about anybody else, to me. Had I been quick enough a photograph of these identifying them would be attached, however my camera was still in the bag at the time. Next time I'll be very ready, and that photo will go onto here, FB, Twitter and anywhere else I can think of!

Grahame W

Post by Grahame W » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:03 am

A very useful thread. Do I take it that it's still OK to park somewhere off the road on the A1500 and walk up to Point K?
Grahame W

RedsSnapper

Post by RedsSnapper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Access to point K can be had by parking in the viewpoint car park at the junction, walking up the road to the fenceline and then along the low fence. Remember to stand clear of the runway line though as per Red 10's request a few weeks ago! There are a few spots you can leave your car on the road itself but it needs to be done with caution.

C24

Post by C24 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 am

Greetings,

This seems to be the Official view:

ImageSCA_5041-RT-ed1 by Charlie, on Flickr

Charlie
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 pm

Looks like points k and j may well be no longer accessible.

There are a couple of new fences put up, one when the Bush meets the perimeter fence towards Scampton village, and then more in the gaps along Bush that runs alongside the road. The gate is padlocked shut, and there are signs saying private land no access, which I don't remember seeing before.

Mike
Last edited by reaper493 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

T_J

Post by T_J » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 pm

A Red Arrows pilot has warned plane spotters against the dangers of standing under the approach path with their children.

Squadron Leader Martin Pert, Team Leader and Red 1 for the Red Arrows, posted on Friday morning about the issue on Twitter asking people to be more sensible.

He said: “I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to stand with your small child, who’s dressed in a Red Arrows suit, under the approach path on very short finals at Scampton. Please be sensible folks.
https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2020/02/red ... -scampton/

Return to “RAF Scampton”