Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

SPTA request

Please post any movements and activity around the RAF/RN Weapons ranges.
Skoshi

SPTA request

Post by Skoshi » Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 pm

Evening chaps,

busy planning where to go what to do for next months holiday down in Dorset/Wilts and after seeing some rather decent snaps of Helo's at Depford Down and on the Plain I fancy a day or two sniffing around so to speak.

Can any locals point me in the right direction for places to go and more importantly where NOT to go on the SPTA. Anywhere I can photo wrecked targets/Helo's or active armor would be brilliant :clap:

many thanks...
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
UBC780XLT,UBC-800XLT,UBC-3500,MVT-7100,Aor8200Mk3
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

Skoshi

Re: SPTA request

Post by Skoshi » Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm

wow...thought I would bump this thread as I'm off down there in a week...
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

aitchiar

Post by aitchiar » Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 am

Hi Steve
Surprised you haven't had any responses but then I didn't see your original post either. This is quite a lengthy and occasionally controversial subject.. The two SPTA groups on FaceBook are very active and well worth a look for info & pics. The easiest places to see and photograph aircraft on the Plain are Everleigh and Deptford Down. Other fairly active locations include the Lindens and the Pennings. Those are not as busy as say Everleigh but favoured by those who like their helis (very) enclosed. There are of course lots of others which can be busy on a given day. Goes without saying it's possible you won't see anything at all..
A good OS map is worth buying though I gather they're not quite up to date with rights of way etc.
Also take your scanner make sure you have Salisbury Ops programmed in. All low level traffic will call them up and state their destinations and intentions, though you won't necessarily hear Deptford traffic from Everleigh and vice versa. If you're lucky you can sometimes make it from Everleigh to the Lindens if you hear someone call up.
It should go without saying but...please be sensible when photographing the aircraft. Don't get in their way or use flash.
Hope this helps and good hunting.
Andy

Skoshi

Post by Skoshi » Wed May 28, 2014 6:38 pm

thanks to 100arw (Pat) and aitchiar for the info, here's hoping for good weather next week!
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

mikev1984

Post by mikev1984 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Hiya,
Anyone got all the spta frequencies?
Any used in the area would be great

Return to “RAF and RN Weapon Ranges”