Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Typhoon busy hour - the norm. or an exception?

CookipediaChef

Typhoon busy hour - the norm. or an exception?

Post by CookipediaChef » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Arrived at Holbeach, Gedney Drove End, Gate B at around 14:00 today, laid out in the sun and watched Typhoons 'electronically' bombing the targets for about 55 minutes; about one diving run at least every 30 seconds.
I guess we must have been very lucky, or does this occur more regularly than I thought?
--Jerry

Philly1971

Re: Typhoon busy hour - the norm. or an exception?

Post by Philly1971 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:20 am

Yes I was “watching” them on ADSb CPC, and it looked spectacular just on that! I am hoping to be there next Thursday morning so hope to see the same again! How was the road and parking situation when you were there?

CookipediaChef

Post by CookipediaChef » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 am

Philly1971 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:20 am
How was the road and parking situation when you were there?
Two cars at the beach end (one had to reverse back all the way), four at the bend where the road ends. Room for more, probably turn around before you park.
You say you'll be there next Thursday. Do you know they'll be back there again then? (may see you there then too).
--Jerry

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks for the parking info. Unfortunately no knowledge if it will be busy next week, it’s more a case of its then or never as we have a week off and will be staying in North Norfolk for a few days, so was thinking of popping round to Holbeach. If nothing else it’s quite a nice walk along the wall and generally a bit quieter vs the North Norfolk coastal path in these social distancing times...

CookipediaChef

Post by CookipediaChef » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Philly1971 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:26 pm
...will be staying in North Norfolk for a few days, so was thinking of popping round to Holbeach distancing times...
Ok. thanks Philly. Enjoy. It's a lovely part of the world. That was our thoughts when we went last week and were richly rewarded. I hope your visit is as fruitful.
--Jerry

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:28 am

Hi, the bombing ranges are very "hit and miss" now days. Also you say they were on for 55 minutes, that can also vary. I have been sometimes and waited most of the day only to see a couple of aircraft which do one or two runs then depart back to base. Other days can be fairly busy with lots of action and they stay on for longer. It can be very interesting when the FAC/JTAC controllers on the ground are talking the pilots into various targets and I have been used as a marker on numerous occasions when they have been there. This is great as the pilots sometimes will do low fast passes near you but this was just a case of right place right time. I think if you do go to any of the ranges now that you just have to see it as a nice peaceful day relaxing in the hope of being interrupted by the aircraft. It is a very nice place just to sit and relax 👍

CookipediaChef

Post by CookipediaChef » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 am

stealth117 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:28 am
Hi, the bombing ranges are very "hit and miss" now days. Also you say they were on for 55 minutes, that can also vary. I have been sometimes and waited most of the day only to see a couple of aircraft which do one or two runs then depart back to base. Other days can be fairly busy with lots of action and they stay on for longer. It can be very interesting when the FAC/JTAC controllers on the ground are talking the pilots into various targets and I have been used as a marker on numerous occasions when they have been there. This is great as the pilots sometimes will do low fast passes near you but this was just a case of right place right time. I think if you do go to any of the ranges now that you just have to see it as a nice peaceful day relaxing in the hope of being interrupted by the aircraft. It is a very nice place just to sit and relax 👍
That's a good point about the comms. I took my 125 but left the batteries at home. :grr:

I also thought afterwards that a good place to sit would be on the bank, near the middle tower, then the planes would be diving directly at you just before they pull up. A great photo opp., had I remembered the camera.

Either way, a lovely drive to the ranges and a peaceful place to sit and picnic, had I thought of that too. :unsure:
--Jerry

Return to “Holbeach Range”