Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

NO VIEWING AT RAF SPADEADAM

michael1970

NO VIEWING AT RAF SPADEADAM

Post by michael1970 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:37 am

Hi guys its with regret that I type this after 35 years of visiting RAF Spadeadam with no issues and a great relationship with the guys at Spade the access road is now closed. At present it is closed for 3 weeks followed by another 3 weeks. After this time a review will be held, but the plan is for the road to remain closed and this is just a process that the council is using.
The reasons, first one is the visitors to the waterfall during the covid lock down and the parties held down there, paths have eroded away, damage has been caused, a cow had to be airlifted out because a gate had been left open the general rubbish left behind. the police did ticket around 150 cars but still it has not been a deterrent to these kids who can do what they want.

Secondly we cant just blame the kids, yes the aviation photographer once again has also played his / her part in this, images all over social media inside the complex, images from inside the range during live exercises and images of people who have broken into targets to have their pictures taken.

Let this be a wake up call to the many don't think the council can close a road - it could be a crash gate at your local airfield next

Hopefully this will help anyone travelling to the range and save them a journey

Tronk 11

Re: NO VIEWING AT RAF SPADEADAM

Post by Tronk 11 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:02 pm

I remember sitting up at the car park during mallet blow and elder joust exercises, then the FACS in the carpark with gazelles on the grass in cront of you! Massive disappointment to see them do that, fingers crossed they don't. I always thought it was a public road with some houses at the end.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:00 pm

Spending next week with my wife for a well-earned break in Northumberland. Had hoped to visit the waterfall as we are keen photographers. Now something else ruined by thoughtless idiots. Thanks for nothing. Uncaring, selfish minorities are slowly spoiling things for the majority.

sschofield

Post by sschofield » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 am

That's what's called "Brexit Britain" these days I believe Nighthawke!

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:32 pm

I cannot see how the Cumbria Council can close the road as this gives access to a number of farms, the nearest to the range being Wiley Syke
Farm occupied by Hunter Smith,then we have the families that live at White Lees and Churnsyke lodge.

The RAF and other military services require access to the range. Of course there is another entry to the range used by the Forrestry Commision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm9ksxU0HY Terrain and forestry
similar to spadeadam and kielder water. flying is super.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks Michael, saved me a wasted trip. I was hoping to get down there for the Apaches.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Duane Hewitt

Post by Duane Hewitt » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:28 pm

AndrewBarclay wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:32 pm
I cannot see how the Cumbria Council can close the road as this gives access to a number of farms, the nearest to the range being Wiley Syke
Farm occupied by Hunter Smith,then we have the families that live at White Lees and Churnsyke lodge.

The RAF and other military services require access to the range. Of course there is another entry to the range used by the Forrestry Commision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm9ksxU0HY Terrain and forestry
similar to spadeadam and kielder water. flying is super.
The council have closed access to non-residents only. Those that live along the road and MOD personnel are still able to use the road. Talking to one of the locals the other day and it would seem a handful of people are still ignoring the signs and heading through, though it would seem this is mainly just people heading to the waterfall. I'd imagine range security are also keeping an eye on things. From what I gather the intention is a temporary closure to allow the area to recover due to the amount of litter and burning that has damaged the area. A SSSI lies downstream of the falls and has been affected.

Despite the intention of only a temporary closure it would be very easy for them to pursue access only for residents if any more incidents like this or blatantly ignoring the signs carries on.

Andyph

Post by Andyph » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 pm

so where is the road closed? after the main gate to the range?

Buddiebeeroy

Post by Buddiebeeroy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:07 pm

Hi Folks , I was just wondering a couple of things 1. is it still the case that the road is closed ? & 2. Is there any activity there these days ? I travel the A69 regularly and see next to nothing when passing that area . TIA 👍

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:45 am

The thoughtless and stupid acts of the few have once again ruined it for the many. :grr: lowlife.........

100arw

Post by 100arw » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:09 pm

Unknown74 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:45 am
The thoughtless and stupid acts of the few have once again ruined it for the many. :grr: lowlife.........
Is that just a comment or fact i.e. the road is still closed?
P

Precinct7

Post by Precinct7 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:19 pm

That report was in 2020 in the middle of Covid lockdown

all roads open when I was up there last year

100arw

Post by 100arw » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:18 am

Thanks Precinct7.
But, like others, a current report would be appreciated.
So, Unkown74 - is your current post about the past, or present?
P.

dannyboyo20

Post by dannyboyo20 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:26 pm

Current report - all roads are once again open. It was (thankfully) a temporary measure during lockdown due to anti-social behaviour around Crammel Linn waterfall. That said, there have been numerous reports that security has been significantly increased, especially targeting those who have been trespassing on the range and mock airfield site. No problems will be encountered on roads around the range, as they are all public. Just don’t wander off into the abyss or you may receive a surprise courtesy of range plod!

Movements wise there has been bits and bobs but fairly quiet. Merlin was on yesterday, possibly conducting chaff trials again, it’s almost exactly a year since that was the case last year.

Hope of help, Danny
Danny Banks,Newcastle-upon-Tyne
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyboyo20
http://groups.google.com/group/north-ea ... -movements

Canon EOS 5D MkIV
Canon 100-400 F4-5.6 II IS L
Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
Canon 1.4x III
Patience & Optimism!

100arw

Post by 100arw » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:55 am