Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Kilve/Lilstock range photos

Paul R

Kilve/Lilstock range photos

Post by Paul R » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 am

Poor quality photos taken back in the day. Happy days back then with up to 10 f-111's using the range at any one time. Aircraft used to use this range almost every week.

Blackcat1

Re: Kilve/Lilstock range photos

Post by Blackcat1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Those were the days eh! never seen pics of Lilstock before, thanks for posting.

Cheers
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Redherc64

Post by Redherc64 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Thats taken me back a few years. I used to work at Hinkley Point Power station and have memories of the F-111's and Sea Harriers bombing the range. As you say it was used every week. From what I remember Wednesday used to be the best day. Thanks for posting them......and for reminding me Im getting old... ;)
Nige
SPTA Enthusiasts Forum
http://spta.proboards.com/index.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pantherpics1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RichC

Post by RichC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 pm

I remember seeing them running in from when i had outings on the north coast. Lilstock is my local range... i live in Mid Devon.
Great photos of the past...
It is used frequently still, but only allowed by Helicopters using Machine Guns and Fixed wing doing Flare Trials.
Rockets, Bombs etc are no longer allowed unfortunately.

Royal Navy are the main user with the Seakings and Lynx and Merlins....with occasional RAF.

Paul R

Post by Paul R » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:45 pm

@nige, wednesday's were good days, as were tuesdays and thursdays. The noise of the f-111s when they were dive bombing was quality. @Rich c, how frequently do they use the range and do you have a frequency for the range

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Paul,
It is only used now when NOTAM'd, several times a month.
279.200 is the primary frequency and range comes under the control of Yeovilton of which they will use 127.350 and 234.300 for radar.
Also Cardiff 125.850 will be notified.

RAF C-17's have used the range for flare trials, as have many other types but the range is now used mainly by helicopters using the GPMG, .50cal and minigun at the drums located offshore.
The helipad is still used by the helos on the trials, about 50 metres from the range tower.

Christ i remember the F-111s so well... they used to come down my valley at 500ft and swing north towards Exmoor and do their stuff at Lilstock. Remember A-10s down here several times a week over the north coast of Devon too, coming from the direction of Lilstock. Not sure if they used it though?

Paul R

Post by Paul R » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Cheers for the info Rich. I don't recall A10s using the range but they must of at some point. I've got some more images from lilstock lying around somewhere. I find them, give em a scan and put them on. Cheers

Firehawkiv

Post by Firehawkiv » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks for posting the images Paul, I used to work at Park Farm which is the farm you have to drive through in order to get to the range. The navy lads always stopped off for a coffee and complimentary tickets to the Yeovilton air day - happy days. I should have some pictures somewhere of which I'll try and find and share.
Yaesu VR500 with Watson antenna, Yaesu VR5000 with Garex Active antenna, longwire G5RV and a dedicated wideband antenna, Yupiteru MVT7000 with Discone, Yaesu FT-847, Yaesu FT-897d with long wire trap dipole and dedicated 40m mobile antenna.

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 pm

All controllled by RNAS Yeovilton nowadays as you say RichC. Mostly Merlins and the new Wildcat working up procedures for the door gunners
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pm

F111s were a great sight, very regular in my area Brecon/Sennybridge even in the filthiest of weather.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Return to “Lilstock Range”