Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

First visit

This is where you can find updates to what is going on inside the NAM

Moderator: NAM Updater

grayson

First visit

Post by grayson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Despite having lived in Lincoln years ago, I never once made a visit to the museum. I remedied that by making the 120mile trip yesterday and I greatly enjoyed the exhibits , quite a few of which I had not seen in the flesh for many years . The Shackleton was a favourite, perhaps because it evoked memories of Finningley airshows with my late dad in the early Sixties.

I say the following with some trepidation as I know hard working volunteers put so much time into keeping places like this going . But I'll say it - please , when and if the signage to exhibits is refreshed , can the scores of errors be remedied ? Misspellings (Coningsby ...) , terrible grammar and plain bad English often don't do the exhibits justice.

It isn't unique to Newark ,sadly as YAM has some howlers too.

NAM Updater

Re: First visit

Post by NAM Updater » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Thank you for your feedback, which I will share with everyone at the museum - we are aware that some typos etc. do creep in to some of the signage and we do endeavour to rectify things once they are spotted and when the signage is refreshed / updated. :Oops:

I am sorry if this spoilt your visit. I was on site yesterday and if you had mentioned them whilst there I would have gone round with you and made notes about them!

It can be quite a challenging task as I know to my own shame. I have compiled the Guide Book for too many years and on the last reprint I spotted an error that had ben replicated in successive editions since the mid 1980s!! :blush:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

grayson

Post by grayson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks Howard - and I am glad you took the comment in the spirit I made it. If it helps , I can pop down again and do a list for you - I might not be able to restore a Mig 23 but I am a word class pedant !

BTW it certainly didn't spoil my visit and compared to the now closed Donington Motor Racing Collection you guys are amateurs in typos...

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 am

It's not a problem from my perspective, I believe that you must always look to improve and develop.

At the museum we have a mix of display contributors. Some displays are compiled by the museum's curator; others come from keen museum volunteers; whilst some others were university projects and some were compiled elsewhere and donated to the museum. I don't doubt that all suffer from typos, and, or inconsistencies.

A few of my own personal 'favourites' include: missing the hyphen from Rolls-Royce and also not using de Havilland correctly.

I wouldn't want to put you to the travelling expenses of another visit, although you might benefit from free admission on Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 December as part of the #ThankToYou campaign. You would just need to bring along your National Lottery ticket or scratch card! I will certainly be on site on Saturday, and perhaps Sunday if it is a busy session.

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/ThanksToYou

Alternatively, you could PM some guidance as to where we need to start looking and I will have a tour round and make some notes myself.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 pm

grayson wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:53 am
... word class pedant !
Hoist by one's own petard methinks - sorry couldn't resist :lol:

grayson

Post by grayson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Hoping somebody would spot that...

Happy to make a trip down again and will be in touch when I am planning to do so .

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Thank you for that kind offer, I look forward to hearing from you in due course! :)

Return to “Newark Air Museum (NAM)”