Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation nation Nellis air show 2022

Post your Rest of the World Airshow news, updates and rumours in here
65thAgressor

Aviation nation Nellis air show 2022

Post by 65thAgressor » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:44 pm

Both F22 and F35 demo teams confirmed.

65thAgressor

Re: Aviation nation Nellis air show 2022

Post by 65thAgressor » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:45 am

Anyone think there's a chance of a nighthawk at this show ?

redeye11

Post by redeye11 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:57 pm

Why not ? It is the 75th anniversary airshow after all and the F117 is now out in the open again !

verreli

Post by verreli » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm

...and allegedly based only 90 miles away.

Sony

Post by Sony » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:26 pm

So this year will be the first year I’ve ever been to Aviation Nation. I have read that it’s free and that you have to go to the speedway to get security checked and bused in… I know it’s a free event, but at the risk of sounding stupid is it still a ticketed event so they can know numbers of people attending? Any tips and advice from those attended before would be appreciated

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:09 am

Sony wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:26 pm
So this year will be the first year I’ve ever been to Aviation Nation. I have read that it’s free and that you have to go to the speedway to get security checked and bused in… I know it’s a free event, but at the risk of sounding stupid is it still a ticketed event so they can know numbers of people attending? Any tips and advice from those attended before would be appreciated
There is no ticket system, or there never used to be. Best to get there as early as possible otherwise be prepared for possibly long and slow security lines to get in. It will invariably be hot, dress accordingly, take sun screen, a hat and stay hydrated, it can take it out of you walking around on all that asphalt/concrete. Usually plenty of food and drink stands and hydration stations if you have your own water bottle.

The website has a list of things you can and can't bring :

https://www.nellis.af.mil/Air-SpaceExpo/

Enjoy, should be a good show !
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:42 pm

This will be my seventh visit to Nellis for the airshow. I have never had a problem getting, in,as above get there early. There are dozens of buses taking you on base. Once your in there are numerous food and drink stands. If like me you like your sqdn tat then you will be in heaven.

Sony

Post by Sony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:36 pm

JAWS wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:09 am
Sony wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:26 pm
There is no ticket system, or there never used to be. Best to get there as early as possible otherwise be prepared for possibly long and slow security lines to get in. It will invariably be hot, dress accordingly, take sun screen, a hat and stay hydrated, it can take it out of you walking around on all that asphalt/concrete. Usually plenty of food and drink stands and hydration stations if you have your own water bottle.

The website has a list of things you can and can't bring :

https://www.nellis.af.mil/Air-SpaceExpo/

Enjoy, should be a good show !
Thanks very much for the information

Sony

Post by Sony » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:37 pm

65thAgressor wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:42 pm
This will be my seventh visit to Nellis for the airshow. I have never had a problem getting, in,as above get there early. There are dozens of buses taking you on base. Once your in there are numerous food and drink stands. If like me you like your sqdn tat then you will be in heaven.

Great thanks, is the show normally identical both days or do they have different appearances. Thanks

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:39 pm

Both days are the same ,just the flying order may be different. The Thunderbirds close the show each day. They do give out a free paper with the flying display schedule. Get one as you get off the bus oh and they are free.

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:44 pm

The highlight for me is the Nellis airpower demonstration. x2 f15e, x2 f35 x2 A10 and 2 f16 aggressors. And a pave hawk all in the air attacking and defending the base. Its not to be missed its noise and power !

bushande

Post by bushande » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:14 pm

If I may ask: The airshow homepage states that only small camera bags are allowed. If I were to attend I would want to bring my 80D plus 150-600mm and a second wide angle lens with me plus stuff like additonal battery etc. I confess I hardly get that equipment into a 21x10x10 in bag. For those who have experience with Nellis. How do you deal with that or more interestingly how do the folks at Nellis deal with larger camera equipment?

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:31 am

From experience they do search bags just before you walk through airport style scanners.which is before you get on the bus. I have a camera rucksack a 18-55mm for static a 55-250mm and a sigma 150-600mm all with lens hoods. I have a Beschoi camera bag and get everything in that and its 17x11x5.5 i got this off amazon. If you have the same type of bag i dont see an issue.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:20 pm

I realised a few days ago that by re-jigging a few flights I could get to his one. My flight back to the UK departs LAX at 20:35 on Saturday, so I'm probably going to have to bail out of the show early and be back on I-15 by 1pm.

I've read a few of the Scramble show reports - and they seem very light on based stuff. Do they normally de-camp somewhere else, or are they hidden away in hangars?

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 pm

The based aircraft are there past the show barriers under the sun hangars so its a tail on or front end shot. The last time i went 2017 on the saturday i photographed some of these. On the sunday they had an airman posted saying no photographs. Also on the other side of the base f16's and A10's. The static at nellis is always good one of all based aircraft and then the visitors. There is still a lot of space and they could put more out, but they just dont.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:57 pm

65thAgressor wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 pm
The based aircraft are there past the show barriers under the sun hangars so its a tail on or front end shot. The last time i went 2017 on the saturday i photographed some of these. On the sunday they had an airman posted saying no photographs. Also on the other side of the base f16's and A10's. The static at nellis is always good one of all based aircraft and then the visitors. There is still a lot of space and they could put more out, but they just dont.
Yeah I get that - I've been to Nellis many times although never inside or for a show. Just seemed a bit strange that the Scramble reports don't include stuff that's visible/poleable from elsewhere around/outside the perimeter, so I wondered if they bugged out to somewhere like Creech or Edwards.

747woody

Post by 747woody » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:31 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:20 pm
I realised a few days ago that by re-jigging a few flights I could get to his one. My flight back to the UK departs LAX at 20:35 on Saturday, so I'm probably going to have to bail out of the show early and be back on I-15 by 1pm.

I've read a few of the Scramble show reports - and they seem very light on based stuff. Do they normally de-camp somewhere else, or are they hidden away in hangars?
In 2017 most were parked at the far end of the ramp. They were visible from up the hill behind the base, up by the quarries.

adderman

Post by adderman » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:59 pm

65thAgressor wrote:
The based aircraft are there past the show barriers under the sun hangars so its a tail on or front end shot. The last time i went 2017 on the saturday i photographed some of these. On the sunday they had an airman posted saying no photographs. The static at nellis is always good one of all based aircraft and then the visitors. There is still a lot of space and they could put more out, but they just dont.
Sound like most USN shows, you get the blinged up jets, usually the C/O's '#00' plus another normal one from each unit.
At Oceana 2015 huge expanses of concrete then the 'nightmare' ramp of about 80-90 F18's all crammed together and woe betide even thinking about trying to graph them or read off with a scope. Got held for at least 90 mins here after trying to do this, even the Alphabet S.I. turned up and he couldn't understand why the Navy were making such a fuss.
"If even I can see 'em then they're not secret!" he'd said.

raameagle

Post by raameagle » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:45 am

Yes indeed, how dare you even think of looking at those 'ultra-secret' Super Hornets parked up over there...in plain view lol!

The paranoia at some US airshows is beyond belief sometimes and another reason why I usually give them a swerve.

Regards

Mark
adderman wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:59 pm
65thAgressor wrote:
The based aircraft are there past the show barriers under the sun hangars so its a tail on or front end shot. The last time i went 2017 on the saturday i photographed some of these. On the sunday they had an airman posted saying no photographs. The static at nellis is always good one of all based aircraft and then the visitors. There is still a lot of space and they could put more out, but they just dont.
Sound like most USN shows, you get the blinged up jets, usually the C/O's '#00' plus another normal one from each unit.
At Oceana 2015 huge expanses of concrete then the 'nightmare' ramp of about 80-90 F18's all crammed together and woe betide even thinking about trying to graph them or read off with a scope. Got held for at least 90 mins here after trying to do this, even the Alphabet S.I. turned up and he couldn't understand why the Navy were making such a fuss.
"If even I can see 'em then they're not secret!" he'd said.

Mervt

Post by Mervt » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:57 pm

If you go best to go early 08.00 best time to arrive, The que is very long if not in the car park early, Parking is in the Speedway and go as light as possible as security is strict, camera with lenses bag is fine along with Binoculars or scope, you will drive pass the UH60 ramp on way in so try sit same side of the driver on the bus (obviously in the rear seats) and get your camera out ready if you collect tail numbers to photograph them, this is the closes you will get to that ramp, A good selection off aircraft to be seen on the Airshow field but the problem is the sun shelters further down the base where its always barriered off and to get beyond here, you got no chance, all Fighters are head on or tail on and there will be 40-60 fighters beyond this barrier, can be frustrating if your a spotter, you maybe able to obtain up to 10 serials if your lucky.

If your early go to the back off the base around 06.00 am to read off some of the fighters but you will need a decent Telescope to be able to do so, The reason you need to be early is the Heat Haze rises at 06.30-06.45 in which after 7 am there is no chance of reading anything off. The road you need is called "Alto Ave" & head towards the mountains, the base will be on your left as you climb the hill up "Alto Ave", go up towards the mountain and park on the left, you can read a lot of tail numbers from here over the base but look everywhere as its easy to miss frames as they are parked everywhere all over the base, both sides off the runway, the runway is in the center off the base running North to South or visa versa.

Return to “Rest of the World Airshows”