Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hyakuri Airshow - Tips?

Post your Rest of the World Airshow news, updates and rumours in here
Charles022

Hyakuri Airshow - Tips?

Post by Charles022 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 am

Hi all,

With the upcoming Hyakuri Airshow in December does anyone have any tips (where to park, what time to get there etc) from someone who has been before?
I see there is a Saturday show also for residents but have applied to visit the Peace Towers for this.

Thanks all,
Charles

Scuba 11

Re: Hyakuri Airshow - Tips?

Post by Scuba 11 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:17 am

Hi Charles,
Last year no on base parking was allowed, so you have to find a suitable spot off base would suggest a time of at least 0400, if you can drive round the days before and see if you can book a spot in one of the local fields that are rented out. Last year the Peace Towers opened at Midnight on both days and get filled up quickly. Last year we went to the Peace Towers on the Saturday and on base on the Sunday. Would think it will be much the same this year. Good Luck

Charles022

Post by Charles022 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Scuba 11 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:17 am
Hi Charles,
Last year no on base parking was allowed, so you have to find a suitable spot off base would suggest a time of at least 0400, if you can drive round the days before and see if you can book a spot in one of the local fields that are rented out. Last year the Peace Towers opened at Midnight on both days and get filled up quickly. Last year we went to the Peace Towers on the Saturday and on base on the Sunday. Would think it will be much the same this year. Good Luck
Cheers Scuba, what time did you get to the Peace Towers on Saturday? Whereabouts did you park for Sunday?

p6025

Post by p6025 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Charles022 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:10 pm
Scuba 11 wrote:
Hi Charles,
Cheers Scuba, what time did you get to the Peace Towers on Saturday? Whereabouts did you park for Sunday?
The towers were accessible by vehicle something like 20:00-00:00 on the Friday evening (if you didn't mind sleeping in your vehicle). Saturday, dropped Scuba and two others off on the main road, the access roads being closed, and they walked ~0.5km to the towers; I think it was 06:30 ish? Scuba can confirm, but I believe it was fair to say the towers and all it's fence-line was already rammed when they got in. [UPDATE] Seems the fence line in the towers was already full of ladders as people had placed them the day/evening before.

As for Sunday, since they stopped providing public car parks, only the main gate is the entrance for pedestrians (you used to be able to access from the gate near the towers). There were various fields and businesses offering parking, most of which needed booking in advance. But there were also plenty of other random places that people found to park, up every available lane in the area (probably quite difficult at 0h-dark-thirty if you haven't recce'd it in daylight...).

Paul.
Last edited by p6025 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles022

Post by Charles022 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am

p6025 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:59 pm
Charles022 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:10 pm
Scuba 11 wrote:
Hi Charles,
The towers were accessible by vehicle something like 20:00-00:00 on the Friday evening (if you didn't mind sleeping in your vehicle). Saturday, dropped Scuba and two others off on the main road, the access roads being closed, and they walked ~0.5km to the towers; I think it was 06:30 ish? Scuba can confirm, but I believe it was fair to say the towers and all it's fence-line was already rammed when they got in.

As for Sunday, since they stopped providing public car parks, only the main gate is the entrance for pedestrians (you used to be able to access from the gate near the towers). There were various fields and businesses offering parking, most of which needed booking in advance. But there were also plenty of other random places that people found to park, up every available lane in the area (probably quite difficult at 0h-dark-thirty if you haven't recce'd it in daylight...).

Paul.
Thanks Paul, where did you park for the Sunday show?

p6025

Post by p6025 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Charles,

I aim to use the same parking this year, so won't be putting it a public forum. Assuming you are there before the Sunday, ask around then... :whistle:

Paul.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 am

Will this will be the last Hyakuri show to feature F-4's ?
Not read any confirmation that 2020 will be the retirement year for Japanese Phantoms.

p6025

Post by p6025 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Doughnut wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 am
Not read any confirmation that 2020 will be the retirement year for Japanese Phantoms.
Yes. 2020 will be the air force review at Hyakuri; based upon previous years, that means there will be no public air show.

501 are due to go by the end of March 2020, with 301 are due to go by end of March 2021. I doubt either will survive to those dates.

Paul.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am

p6025 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm
Doughnut wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 am
Yes. 2020 will be the air force review at Hyakuri; based upon previous years, that means there will be no public air show.

501 are due to go by the end of March 2020, with 301 are due to go by end of March 2021. I doubt either will survive to those dates.

Paul.
I thought it had been reported that 301 would convert to F35 in the near future and move to Misawa with the Misawa based F2s moving into Hyakuri (pretty sure I read before end of 2019) but looks unlikely anybody know anything more ?

p6025

Post by p6025 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 pm

pg1610 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am
I thought it had been reported that 301 would convert to F35 in the near future and move to Misawa with the Misawa based F2s moving into Hyakuri (pretty sure I read before end of 2019) but looks unlikely anybody know anything more ?
My 2p. Heard rumours concerning part of 3 moving to Hyakuri to start taking over alert duties from 301 (ie. earlier than originally planned) with a couple of different dates this year, neither of which happened. Could still happen before the end of fiscal 2019. But fair to assume the loss of the F-35 and delivery delays from Mitsubishi have played a part in changing a few dates.

Officially the F-4EJ Kai fleet was 34 at the end of March 2019. I believe that number is more like 24 now (of which two are with the test Fleet at Gifu). With all major servicing (aka 'IRAN') by Mitsubishi completed on the Phantom fleet, they can only last so long.

My understanding is that the dates for 302 and 301 being operational on the F-35 haven't changed from the original, 2020 and 2022 respectively. With a fleet of 15(?) and 6 delivered per year, not a lot of scope to speed that up.

Paul.

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:44 am

p6025 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 pm
pg1610 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am
My 2p. Heard rumours concerning part of 3 moving to Hyakuri to start taking over alert duties from 301 (ie. earlier than originally planned) with a couple of different dates this year, neither of which happened. Could still happen before the end of fiscal 2019. But fair to assume the loss of the F-35 and delivery delays from Mitsubishi have played a part in changing a few dates.

Officially the F-4EJ Kai fleet was 34 at the end of March 2019. I believe that number is more like 24 now (of which two are with the test Fleet at Gifu). With all major servicing (aka 'IRAN') by Mitsubishi completed on the Phantom fleet, they can only last so long.

My understanding is that the dates for 302 and 301 being operational on the F-35 haven't changed from the original, 2020 and 2022 respectively. With a fleet of 15(?) and 6 delivered per year, not a lot of scope to speed that up.

Paul.
Cheers Paul Hopefully some information may be forthcoming at the airshow ? regarding future developments at this base, I am trying to plan another trip into Japan next year(still 11 months away) but need to see what options are available, don`t want to waste time visiting here if not much happening however if a squadron of F2s are based then it would make life much easier for me to sell it to Mrs pg1610
time will tell (hopefully)
Phil

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm

My Japanese friend mentioned he reckoned 3 Hikotai would arrive before the end of FY2019 so by end of March?? As already mentioned by Paul anything could change that plan .

p6025

Post by p6025 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Should have mentioned that this still a chance for an airshow with Phantoms in 2020! Albeit at Gifu not Hyakuri...

I haven't heard when the 5x F-4EJ and 2x F-4EJ Kai with the Gifu based test unit be withdrawn. A fair assumption though they will be withdrawn once the type leaves operational service at Hyakuri. But they might last a little longer, at least a couple were amongst the last overhauled.

Paul.

p6025

Post by p6025 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:07 pm

The airshow programme for Hyakuri is https://www.mod.go.jp/asdf/hyakuri/pdf/ ... _panhu.pdf

The cover does say "A Farewell to F-4 Phantom".

Paul.

verreli

Post by verreli » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Was thinking of going this year for the the Phantoms. Haven't been to Japan before and research so far seems to discourage getting a hire car. Can anyone who's been before give any tips on getting from Tokyo to Hyakuri? My preferance is still hire car but if this isn't possible can you get the train?

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Dont know why anyone would suggest not using a Hire Car,have never had any issues whatsoever with car hire on my previous 3 trips.
I use Nissan Rent a car a Narita,easy enough to book online and easy to deal with,just make sure you have your international driving licence/permit

p6025

Post by p6025 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:21 pm

I'd see no reason not to hire a car, either. Hyakuri is a little out of the way comparatively, so getting there by car from wherever you are staying is the easiest option. Whilst it can be done by public transport, and I guess there is some merit in that for the airshow day itself, any other time the car wins hands down.

It used to be tricky to book direct with a lot of the Japanese hire companies - not least as most didn't have English language websites. But things have changed - it got a lot easier and you can book through most the well known international car hire companies as well - who are acting as agents for the main Japanese companies mostly. There are also independent booking agents (e.g Tocoo). As Ross says UK license holders need an IDP - but countries which are not in the 1949 IDP scheme (e.g. Germany) need a notarised translation of their license instead.

Road signs are not an issue (international symbols and place names are predominantly in Japanese and English). Most hire cars come with SatNav, or you can specify it (but specify in English) - they just use telephone numbers or 'map codes' rather than addresses for destinations.

As an aside. One of the reasons I use Tocoo mostly to book (with Nissan) is that they offer ETC card rental (the electronic toll card for the Japanese motorways) and also have 'toll plan' offers which are a fixed daily rate for these tolls - which can save a fortune if driving distance. Other companies I am sure offer similar these days. But If you are flying into Tokyo to just visit Hyakuri, they are probably not cost effective.

Paul.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:07 pm

No problem with car hire or driving on Japanese roads, they even drive on the left !! Local drivers seemed very courteous and drove at sensible speeds to the given road conditions.
The in car Satnav system of phone numbers caused a small headache as we had prepared our route using coordinates. The car hire rep was most concerned as we tried to explain our route, which included most of the military bases in the Tokyo area lol, but with the use of Google Maps problems were soon resolved. Would suggest hiring a mobile WiFi. This allowed unlimited use of internet for Google Maps, Flight radar, Scramble etc and also emails and Whats App calls back home.
Road tolls for our trip was a whooping £254, in hindsight we should have taken one of the all inclusive plans described above.

adderman

Post by adderman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Doughnut wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:07 pm
No problem with car hire or driving on Japanese roads, they even drive on the left !! Local drivers seemed very courteous and drove at sensible speeds to the given road conditions.
The in car Satnav system of phone numbers caused a small headache as we had prepared our route using coordinates.
Road tolls for our trip was a whooping £254, in hindsight we should have taken one of the all inclusive plans described above.
Hi Folks
Brings back good and less good memories of our 2012 trip.

Tokyo to Osaka and back via road, hate to think how much the tolls were, I know the central bin in the car where the ticket receipts were tossed became known as the 'Pit of Pain but we reckoned it was over £400.
We did Hyakuri, Shimofusa, Iruma, Yokota, Akeno, Gifu, Komaki, Hamamatsu, Atsugi, Shizuhama plus a few civ places and the museums around Tokyo in 10 days. No way could all these be done by public transport.

Wonderful country, intend to return once I've saved up enough!

verreli

Post by verreli » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Very reassuring.

Return to “Rest of the World Airshows”