Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

MCAS Miramar Air Show - Travel to the base

Post your Rest of the World Airshow news, updates and rumours in here
anc

MCAS Miramar Air Show - Travel to the base

Post by anc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi, Looking for advice on how to travel from San Diego to MCAS Miramar for the Air Show in September: The Show website says no public transport is available and the local tourist information office don't have any information on locally organised trips to the display, so does any one know if there any travel options other than hiring a car?

Thanks

airman4207

Re: MCAS Miramar Air Show - Travel to the base

Post by airman4207 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Two years ago we took a taxi, there is a dedicated drop off and pick up point at the back of one of the car parks - it was silver in 2018. A little pricey from downtown San Diego but cheaper than renting a car.

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Agreed, I spent ages at the local tourist few years back researching how to get there
Sadly it all comes back to a taxi or hire car. Don't forget to visit the USS Medway for a bonus
Intake of naval aviation.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:28 pm

One word of caution, I'm currently looking at possibly visiting Pensacola later in the year, and they have announced that Uber/ Lyft etc taxis are not allowed on base, so I'd assume USMC Miramar could be the same.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:37 pm

I just did a quick check on public transport for Miramar, and this is the nearest option there is, a 90 minute journey, but still better than nothing? Starting from USS Midway to (I assume) nearest bus stop to the main gate?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/USS+Mid ... 920559!3e3
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Return to “Rest of the World Airshows”