Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Orleans-Bricy - REQ

HBHM

Orleans-Bricy - REQ

Post by HBHM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi

Our journey to our family holiday destination this summer could (with just a small detour!) take me past Orleans-Bricy, but I've been unable to find out much about what might be seen from outside there? There seems to be very little about the place on FC, or elsewhere for that matter. Is it because everything is hidden from public roads? It seems like a possible opportunity to catch up on some French transports, but no point in losing brownie points if nothing is visible or readable? Can anyone please advise on their experiences there, and if possible point to suitable locations.

TIA

Paul

raameagle

Re: Orleans-Bricy - REQ

Post by raameagle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Paul,

With a good scope most things at Orleans can be read from outside, from both ends of the airfield. Make sure you are there first or last thing so there is no haze. If you only have 10x50 binoculars (some spotters do) then I suggest you don't bother.

Regards

Mark

HBHM

Post by HBHM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks Mark.

Good point about the scope - I've got one but probably wouldn't have bothered as it's a family hol. As it is, it'll now go on the list. As for timing, I imagine late afternoon, so I'll have to hope it's not a scorcher. I don't suppose you can recall where the A400 ramp is best viewed from, as they'll be my main targets?

Paul

raameagle

Post by raameagle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:08 pm

They are best viewed from the main road on the south-west side.

Good luck!

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:29 am

Hi Paul,

When travelling south on A10/E5 come off at exit 13 for Arteney. Once you have passed the toll booths the base is signed as first exit off the roundabout. Follow the signed route via D5 to Sougy, D102 to Huetre, D502 to Bricy, then D836 which will take you to the end of runway 25. From here you will see how many A-400s are parked out. Continue along this road and as you start to pass the base accommodation blocks on your right there will be a small sports field to the left. At this point there is a gap between buildings which allows a view of some of the aircraft on the ramp. I have easily read off C-130 and C-160 from here in the past, just be discreet and briefly stop on the left (sports ground) side of the road rather than by the fence and you should be OK.
Continue along D836 to the roundabout and take the first exit onto D955. This is the main road on the south-west side. As the road bears left and heads away from the base the ramp is visible behind you, and stored C-160 are visible on the opposite side of the runway. Pulling off to the side of the road here has never caused me any issues, but be aware that the farmer tends to grow some tall crops so reading anything off could potentially be awkward.
Last June I read off the following operational frames:- 3x C160, 4x A-400, and 2x C-130. The only thing I couldn't get was one C-130 which was blocked by the other two.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and happy spotting, Steve

HBHM

Post by HBHM » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks Steve and Mark(again). Hopefully the plan will come together. At least I now know precisely where I have to head for, which will save a lot of unnecessary trial and error.

Cheers

Paul

Return to “France”