Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hellenic AF photography at Chania Airport?

One-Oh-Four

Hellenic AF photography at Chania Airport?

Post by One-Oh-Four » Thu May 02, 2019 9:27 am

Hi everyone,

This summer I’ll be staying in Crete. If I understand correctly, the HAF has a unit of F-16C/D’s stationed at Chania? Are there any nice spots to photograph them taking off and landing? Do the Greeks allow that or does on get into trouble for that?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Erik.

iainpeden

Re: Hellenic AF photography at Chania Airport?

Post by iainpeden » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am

Erik
There is a good chance you could get into trouble doing that.
However, a couple of years ago I was on a cruise ship moored at Souda bay and we had someover flights by both F-16s and Greek C-130s but not worth photographing.
The CWGC site at Souda Bay is worth a visit and is easily accessible.

One-Oh-Four

Post by One-Oh-Four » Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you for the info, Iain!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri May 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Not worth the risk, if caught you will be arrested and spend some time in custody(days maybe weeks until things get sorted) and probably have your equipment confiscated as well.

It is illegal in Greece to approach, photograph or try to gain entry to any military establishment. As I’ve mentioned on here before the biggest problem for us is being seen by the local population and them then reporting it to the authorities. The Greeks very much work the land and therefore there will be people in the fields and groves around bases and as it’s illegal to be hanging around these areas we very quickly raise suspicion.

Not worth ruining your holiday for a few F16’s no matter how tempting it is.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri May 03, 2019 4:39 pm

It seems some people haven't heard about, or have forgotten about the spotters jailed in Greece back in 2001. Just Google Kalamata spotters jailed or similar and that should put you off taking the risk.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 pm

The Kalamata incident was a bit different as they went wandering when they were already on base, not sure if it was during the open days in November and I’m led to believe they forced their way into one of the hangars on base as well as being in possession of a large log of numbers :Oops:

However that incident does tell you what to expect if caught taking pictures around military establishments. There was a French women on holiday last year in Rhodes that got arrested for unwittingly(supposedly)taking photos next to a military base, think she spent a week behind bars.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 pm

That was my point. The specifics were different but the end result would be the same! Just not worth it.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 pm

The Rhodes incident was 4 years ago, how time flies

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/greece.g ... -rule/amp/

nellis6

Post by nellis6 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:44 pm

I've visited most HAF bases in recent years and on a number of occasions the sublect of 'Spotters' has come up in conversation. Let's put it this way - even having spent a day or two on base I would not then go and spend time photographing the aircraft from off base. It would not surprise me one little bit if I still had problems, even though I am known to them. When on base they can control what you shoot and have access to, off base they cannot. I also know of someone who lives in Crete and was 'detained' within the last few months for photographing F-16s at Souda. My advice would be don't do it.
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Member, IFNM Press Agency
www.ifnm.org

Member, Canon Professional Services
www.canon.co.uk

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass » Sun May 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Different base, but we had some issues with the police at Andravida. Locals reported us to the police, after which we had to come to the police station. I made pics, but put my camerabag in the bushes when we saw the police arrive. That was our luck, the police told us that if we had taken pics, we would be in trouble.

So my advice would be, don’t take any risks. They don’t understand our hobby. The police is not the biggest problem, the locals are. And they inform the police or military if they see any suspicious activities.

One-Oh-Four

Post by One-Oh-Four » Tue May 07, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks guys! I’ll limit my photos to the historic landmarks, nature and my family, then!

Cheers,
Erik.

Return to “Cyprus & Crete”