Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Israeli AF visitors Waddington 2001

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
3Greens

Israeli AF visitors Waddington 2001

Post by 3Greens » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:42 am

Station organisers of the 2001 Air Day at Waddington certainly could award themselves 10/10 for the invitation made to the Israeli AF. What would have seemed impossible due to their usual security plus the distance actually transpired. The KC707's supported the F-15I but returned straight home returning again for the collection on the Monday after the show. I seem to remember that the F-15I solo practise on the Friday created rather a stir when the pilot ejected a spray of flares during his climbout. They didn't fly on the Saturday due to the Sabbath, but performed another spectacular solo on the Sunday minus flares.

Hope you enjoyed them

dragonchaser

Re: Israeli AF visitors Waddington 2001

Post by dragonchaser » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:11 pm

Great post, certainly makes a very pleasant change from the usual, some rare birds there.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:29 pm

very nice brings back memories they didnt do a display as sutch but a show of Israeli airpower
Comfortably Numb

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Lovely set. One of the rarest aircraft I've seen in this country....oh apart from the Singapore Skyhawks also at Waddo 😁

Thunderbolt II

Post by Thunderbolt II » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:35 pm

The Friday practice was pretty epic, viewed from the enormous gravel pile that used to be between the WAVE and the approach. I remember the flares well!

Evergreen 44

Post by Evergreen 44 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 pm

Yes, remember it well
The commentator asked what his display would cover
The IDF spokesperson quickly pointed out that it was a 'Capability Demonstration'
A pertinent and professonal response neatly summarised the philosophy

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 pm

Was the infamous practice on the Friday, I could swear it was the Thursday or even Wednesday? Probably one of the best shows out with IAT/RIAT to have been held in the UK, which due to my work at the time I managed to get unrestricted access airside from Tuesday evening through to Saturday evening, eventually ended up driving the display pilots around and helping in marshalling a/c in and out, an experience never to be forgotten.

Just racking my brains and I'm sure the "flares" didn't happen on the Friday as Park and View would've been open and from memory it wasn't, although it was 21 years ago :O :O

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 am

Hi Keith :P

Rarer than rocking horse p@@, those :lol:

Thanks for a great post :thumbs:

Best regards ;)

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Mustang531

Post by Mustang531 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:26 am

I remember these coming over, sadly I was unable to attend due to my wife deciding that going shopping for new furniture was more important. I think she understands better now. Great shots by the way, thanks for sharing these.

KeBul

Post by KeBul » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:02 am

Awesome post, thanks for sharing...

Never got to see them, what a treat in that colour scheme, F-15 is one of my favourites as well.

Kev

Thunderbolt II

Post by Thunderbolt II » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 am

Thunder wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 pm
Was the infamous practice on the Friday, I could swear it was the Thursday or even Wednesday? Probably one of the best shows out with IAT/RIAT to have been held in the UK, which due to my work at the time I managed to get unrestricted access airside from Tuesday evening through to Saturday evening, eventually ended up driving the display pilots around and helping in marshalling a/c in and out, an experience never to be forgotten.

Just racking my brains and I'm sure the "flares" didn't happen on the Friday as Park and View would've been open and from memory it wasn't, although it was 21 years ago :O :O
Hmm. That's got me thinking, I assumed it was Friday but I remember we parked in the actual WAVE car park, so you may well be right. Sure someone on here will know.

Keflavik69

Post by Keflavik69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 am

Thanks a lot for posting these interesting images because it brings back good memories. I visited the show on Saturday and drove back to France to visit the Luxeuil open day that Sunday. When I met a Dutch friend there he asked if I had stopped at Metz for some Alpha Jets. He called me stupid (yes, we Dutch know how to behave) for not stopping there. But you should have seen his face when I told him I photographed Israeli F-15's the day before at Waddington.
Kind regards,
Arnold

3Greens

Post by 3Greens » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:07 pm

Keflavik69 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 am
Thanks a lot for posting these interesting images because it brings back good memories. I visited the show on Saturday and drove back to France to visit the Luxeuil open day that Sunday. When I met a Dutch friend there he asked if I had stopped at Metz for some Alpha Jets. He called me stupid (yes, we Dutch know how to behave) for not stopping there. But you should have seen his face when I told him I photographed Israeli F-15's the day before at Waddington.
Kind regards,
Arnold
Thanks for comments from all, .. pleased that these brought such good memories back. Great story Arnold :thumbs: you were certainly busy that weekend.

In my log book I have the quite alot of detail (c/signs etc) but not a confirmation of the day but hey we got to see flares :Wow: .. would just have loved to have seen the faces on the staff in the tower when they launched :O
I hope that you were able to have your camera with you Thunder with so much time air side for the event
Thanks again
3Greens :thumb:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:38 pm

Camera in hand all the time, but half way through the Israeli practice I put it down. It was one of those moments that you need to just stand there and take it in that I was actually witnessing an Israeli jet put on one of, if not the best display I’ve seen. To make it even more surreal, I was standing with the other Israeli pilots and ground crew, including the 69 Sqn Commander. From memory the flares landed in the glass across from Charlie Dispersal, causing several small fires. I’m also starting to think that the Israelis put in a practice on both Wednesday and the Thursday. All photos are in print form, i’ll need to get them scanned and up on here.

I’ve done a bit of digging and it turns out that they didn’t fly on the Friday, however they flew twice on the Thursday am with flares then told to revalidate without flares in the afternoon. Still looking to see about Wednesday.

BOLLO

Post by BOLLO » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Got that weekend on video some place
http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

Supra

Post by Supra » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am

Thunderbolt II wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 am
Thunder wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 pm

Hmm. That's got me thinking, I assumed it was Friday but I remember we parked in the actual WAVE car park, so you may well be right. Sure someone on here will know.
Great Shots & many memories! It was indeed the Thursday IMO as from my recollection the Israeli F-15 was ripping-up the Waddo' skies & chucking flares at around 10am. Once again IIRC we were on-base Thursday afternoon for the Media Call & the Welcome Briefing by the station Commander was taking an eternity, whilst the Israeli F-15 was starting-up to fly the second validation without flares! We bolted out of the Reception to get a good spot for the t/o rotation-point. Brilliant!
Can't lay my hands on my shots right now, but I'm sure it flew without auxiliary tanks & carried 6 large dummy dayglo orange bombs each side in 3 x 2 wide attachments. I remember feeling sorry for the Saturday Show attendees as they had NOT factored in 'Shabbat' ( the Jewish Sabbath) which precluded the jet from flying that day! :O :Oops:

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:01 am

I could be wrong :unsure:

We were there both days, as always, and I seem to recall the Thunder gave 2 displays on the Sunday :S

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:58 am

paddyboy wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:01 am
I could be wrong :unsure:

We were there both days, as always, and I seem to recall the Thunder gave 2 displays on the Sunday :S
You’re completely wrong Paddy, I was travelling back up North on the Sunday 😂or at least I think I was. Reason I think I was is I looked at my photos from the show late last night and I’ve got a shot of the Israeli taxing back in with a car park full of cars in the background 🤷‍♂️.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:50 am

Thanks, Scott :thumb:

Not the first time I’ve been wrong, and it won’t be the last :whistle:

Just wishful thinking on my part :lol:

Paddyboy :clap:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Sheps