Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Mildenhall Air Fete Book

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
johnwickenden

Re: Mildenhall Air Fete Book

Post by johnwickenden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:05 pm

OK...will add you to the list. Once we have the books, I'll come back to you for address and how to pay
Its gonna rain, its gonna rain till the levee breaks, a tidal wave of fear and pain washes us away, another fight into the night until nothing else remains, how do we find harbour from the Hurricane?

www.flickr.com/wickenden1967

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi John ,can you add me to your list please.

Philwinward

Post by Philwinward » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Can you pls add me to your list for the Mildenhall show book
thanks

dragonchaser

Post by dragonchaser » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:18 pm

John could you please add me to the list also, many thanks.

Mike Bridge

Post by Mike Bridge » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Can you add me to the list of people wanting a copy please John

J8501254

Post by J8501254 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi Sir, please could I request a copy. I did try to send a request via twitter...but not sure if it worked (my fault entirely). Many thanks. Tim

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:25 am

Tim

I've added you to the list. Not sure if there will be enough copies in the first print run to accomodate you but I will be ordering another run imminently
Its gonna rain, its gonna rain till the levee breaks, a tidal wave of fear and pain washes us away, another fight into the night until nothing else remains, how do we find harbour from the Hurricane?

timliu00

Post by timliu00 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 am

Hi John. Could you please add me to your list

f-4

Post by f-4 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:31 am

J8501254

Post by J8501254 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 am

johnwickenden wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:25 am
Tim

I've added you to the list. Not sure if there will be enough copies in the first print run to accomodate you but I will be ordering another run imminently
Thank you sir, much appreciated.

Have a good day

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi John. Could you please add me to your list

Tim

Yes will do. As of now people ordering may not get their ook until I get a second batch from the printers

Sparky 119

Post by Sparky 119 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Hello John, could I add myself to the list please.

Steve Bartlett

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 pm

so then folks....

back in May last year Mick (F3) and I got together (in the ether) to discuss the practicality of writing a book on Air Fete. We floated it on this here forum and I have to say I was mightily encouraged by the response and goodwill we received. We decided to have a go at producing the thing.

A number of forumites answered my pleas for photographs and boy - did you guys step up to the plate ! I won't mention names but you know who you are and I have to say a HUGE thank you from Mick and myself....we couldnt have done this without you ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

There have been some bumps along the way, like when our publisher told us the book was too amateurish and they weren't sure what market we were aiming at by using enthusiasts to provide the photos ( err.....the enthusiast market?....its a book by a bunch of enthusiasts FOR enthusiasts!!!)...I won't name any names but thanks for nothing Key Publishing !

Anyway...we have finally gotten there. Having looked at the finished product I am hugely impressed by it and I am very proud to have been associated with it. Mick has been an absolute LEGEND throughout this and I hope he feels every bit as proud as I do.....

As we have had to self fund the publication and printing costs ourselves the books are being delivered to us in batches that we can afford (we have to pay up front and then recoup our outlay from the sales....covering costs (I've never had any intention of keeping any proceeds - they will be going to charity). This does mean that they are slow coming through so if you do want a copy please bear with us as we may be in between print batches !

So - without any further ado......a book that was inspired by the good folks of Fighter Control itself - may be the first Fighter control book??....... I give you....

ImageBOOK COVER by Jon Wickenden, on Flickr

PS:- Don't worry....it looks better in real life than this dodgy photo of the front cover !!!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

F3

Post by F3 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 pm

Hear, hear. John and I could nt have done it w/out Gary Parsons @ f4 Publishing who stepped up to the plate when KEY dumped us and has basically smashed it out of the park. Altho it is my photo (from the '82 event) on the cover the inspiration was using the stars and bars as a backdrop which provides max impact. I'd like to echo John's thanks to all of you who contributed their cherished pics. As he says 'you know who you are' so take a bow. We could nt have done it w/out you too.
Shame to think KEY have such a poor opinion of the enthusiasts who buy their mags and keep them in business. As they have a monopoly of the aviation mag market we have no option but I for one will never be buying any of their books because I'm convinced they don't have their finger on the pulse - or to put it another way, there certainly is nt a pulse in the part of the anatomy where they do have their finger. Resentful - moi?

nhoenich

Post by nhoenich » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:57 pm

What is the current status of the book, will it be available for Christmas, and where can it be purchased.
Thanks
Nh

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:55 am

Mick and I are both receiving batches from the printers and we are also taking orders via the Facebook page. Mick may have some that are available and can let you have one. Other than that two shops are currently stocking the book - The Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells and East Anglia Books based near Stansted

F3

Post by F3 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:04 am

nhoenich wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:57 pm
What is the current status of the book, will it be available for Christmas, and where can it be purchased.
Thanks
Nh
I'm expecting a consignment this week and will defo be able to dispatch in time for Crimble. Message me for instructions on ordering.

chrisov

Post by chrisov » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:35 pm

Thank you for the updates, appreciate you are doing all this off your own backs and have other day jobs to do but would be great if its possible to send email/pm when dispatched?
Otherwise I will just have to stalk our Postie.
Thanks

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 am

Chris

I'm still waiting for you to give me your address mate ! Sent you a PM about it a few days ago

John

chrisov

Post by chrisov » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:30 pm

Sorry about that John.
Just PMed you with my address.
Cheers
Chris

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”