Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

MOSI Aviation Hall - Gone but not forgotten

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

MOSI Aviation Hall - Gone but not forgotten

Post by F3 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:55 pm

Having read recently about the closure of the Aviation Hall of the Manchester Mus of Science & Industry (MOSI) I felt it appropriate to post these few surviving pics of my one and only visit as a tribute. By no means a large collection it did have a few interesting exhibits such as the P.1A Lightning and the very rare Japanese Yokosuka known by the Allies as Cherry Blossom which I believe was the only jet they developed. Prob the best exhibit was the ex 8 Sqn. Shack - Dougal (my favourite Magic Roundabout character). I do have a pic of it but it has obviously been filed elsewhere. The Hall also contained a most interesting collection of aviation art and one particular example which made an impression on me is worth seeing as it features a Phantom crew in NBC kit. I understand the Shack is bound for the new Avro Museum @ Woodford when they manage to extricate it.

ImageEE P1A WG763 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageYokosuka MXY-7 Ohka11 997 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire BL614 ZD- F by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImagePainting of F-4 crew in NBC kit by Michael Britton, on Flickr

Keflavik69

Re: MOSI Aviation Hall - Gone but not forgotten

Post by Keflavik69 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:31 pm

This is a nice tribute to the MOSI Aviation Hall. I hope the P.1A Lightning found/finds a new home as well.
Arnold

Mustang531

Post by Mustang531 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:09 pm

Some nice pics, I visited it not long after it opened and again in 1999. Some of the types are owned by the RAF Museum, so were on loan, including the Shackleton. The P.1A and Avro 707A are going to the Boscombe Down collection at Old Sarum, whilst the Ohka is going further on loan to the museum at Pima.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:28 am

Hi Mick :P

Nice little set there :thumbs:

Never got that far up north myself :'(

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

F3

Post by F3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:38 am

Mustang531 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:09 pm
Some nice pics, I visited it not long after it opened and again in 1999. Some of the types are owned by the RAF Museum, so were on loan, including the Shackleton. The P.1A and Avro 707A are going to the Boscombe Down collection at Old Sarum, whilst the Ohka is going further on loan to the museum at Pima.
Thanks for the info. Old Sarum is the perfect place for those two. Another one for the bucket list. Noticed it appeared on Antiques Road Trip the other week and looked worth a visit.

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:53 pm

WG763 spotted on the A303 today, guess today must be arrival day at BDAC?

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”