Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Teesside Airshow Returns - 11 June

Post your Airshow, Event, Families day's, flypast photos etc in here for all to see.
F3

Teesside Airshow Returns - 11 June

Post by F3 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:43 pm

Making a welcome return after a five year absence this event was eagerly anticipated, Sold Out, and did not disappoint.
The RAF Display Teams (Red Arrows, Typhoon and BBMF Spitfire + Hurricane) were the undoubted show highlights but the Duxford based Catalina PBY Miss Pick Up also excelled. The challenging conditions created by the remnants of Tropical Storm Alex failed to deter the participants with the exception of The Falcons who were unable to jump owing to the strength and gusty nature of the wind. At a ticket price of just £10 the event represented exceptional value, even factoring in the £5 parking fee, so it was not surprising that it attracted so many families. A lot of the youngsters were experiencing their first ever Air show and were thrilled to see the Red Arrows whose merchandising was obviously being briskly traded judging by the number of junior red flying suits on display. Altho' the Reds are operating as a seven ship this season the display has not noticeably suffered - but lets hope it's not the start of a trend which will eventually reduce them to a pair! Star of a small, but interesting, static was the Hunter Mk58 ZZ190 of HHA (still based @ Scampton) and a pair of Drakens Falcons were also on view.

ImageTeesside - JP 3 XM479 70% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Linton Badge on JP3 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Hunter mk 58 ZZ190 HHA 75% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Dassault Falcons Draken by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Dassault Falcons Draken 66% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Spitfire IX MK356 BBMF 50% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Hurricane BBMF 50% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Red Arrows 66% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside -Red Arrows creating a Tornado by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Catalina Miss Pick Up 50% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Catalina Miss Pick Up on approach 40% by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageTeesside - Typhoon display by Michael Britton, on Flickr

paddyboy

Re: Teesside Airshow Returns - 11 June

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:13 am

Hi Mick :P

Small is often best, isn’t it ;)

Worth the entrance fee just to get up close and personal with that lovely Hunter :thumbs:

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

F3

Post by F3 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 am

paddyboy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:13 am

Small is often best, isn’t it ;)

Worth the entrance fee just to get up close and personal with that lovely Hunter :thumbs:

Thanks for posting :thumb:

My thoughts exactly mate, esp when the pilot is very forthcoming with info about his experiences flying it! Have you read Rod Dean's article in the current Fly Past where he reveals how Omani Hunters bested USAF F-15s in a DACT exercise?

100arw

Post by 100arw » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:48 am

No mention of the four-hour delays, which so it seems prevented many from getting in. Or was that the local news and social media exaggerating?
P.

F3

Post by F3 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:47 pm

100arw wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:48 am
No mention of the four-hour delays, which so it seems prevented many from getting in. Or was that the local news and social media exaggerating?
P.
Fortunately I did nt experience this. I timed my arrival to coincide with the gates opening @ 1000 hrs. Did have to queue for around 30 - 45 mins but did not regard this as abnormal for a show (esp one that I knew was a Sell out). Can only assume that many arrived much later when the traffic was even more backed up. The trouble I had was getting out which took an hour just to exit the car park! My plan to leave before the end of the show was scuppered by non appearance of the Falcons. No way was I missing the Typhoon!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Certainly have read it :thumbs:

XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Return to “Airshow & Event Photography”