Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Mirrorless or not?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Mawgan4

Re: Mirrorless or not?

Post by Mawgan4 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:00 am

You might like to also read this review.

https://www.wildimages-phototours.com/s ... -wildlife/

It's by a wildlife photographer, not a camera techie. He left his Canon DSLR kit at home and instead took Sony's top of the range camera and long lens to Antarctica. No popping back home to get his old kit if he didn't like the Sony! It's an interesting read. OK, most of us can't afford the cost of the equipment he took with him, but the capabilities of the professional level equipment today will surely filter down to the enthusiast cameras in a few years time.

For me, the switch to mirrorless is inevitable, it's a matter of when not if.

Alisdair

Tooks

Re: Mirrorless or not?

Post by Tooks » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 am

I’ve been using mirrorless cameras for a few years now, and was having mixed results with them, although I was enjoying the lighter weight and smaller kit.

I was getting a bit disillusioned with the mirrorless thing until I gave the Sony eco system a go with a cheap A6000 and 70-300 Lens. I was immediately shocked by how good the AF was, and the general speed of the system.

Wildlife is my main subject nowadays, and I’m currently using a Sony A7R II with a Sony 200-600 Lens. The AF isn’t the latest generation anymore, but it’s still miles ahead of any mirrorless system I’ve used before and even exceeds my old Nikon DSLRs for the photography I do.

Sony sensors are in lots of cameras these days, but the AF is the main thing for me. On larger targets like aircraft that might not be such a critical thing, but the speed and tracking can really make life easier.

I wouldn’t go back to a DSLR now, and mirrorless is the way most brands are going anyway.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”