Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The difference between a Full Frame & CMOS sensors?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Starbuck

The difference between a Full Frame & CMOS sensors?

Post by Starbuck » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm into my tech but don't really understand cameras,

I currently use a Canon EOS 1200D and looking to upgrade to something like a 5 or 6D.

I've noticed whilst looking about other cameras have a CMOS sensor but I don't really understand the difference between that a full frame.

I'd like to ask for any advice and what the differences are.

Thanks

Starbuck (Yes I have a love of coffee :lol: )

Malcolm

Re: The difference between a Full Frame & CMOS sensors?

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 pm

I think all sensors are CMOS. It refers to the semiconductor technology used to manufacture the sensor - Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor.

Full frame refers to the size of the sensor with respect to the old 35mm film standard. A full frame sensor will be 35mm wide and 24 mm tall ( or very close to that)- the same as a 35mm slide/negative. The pixels of the digital sensor will be spread evenly across that area, so if the sensor has a resolution of (say) 3500 x 2400, there will be 100 pixels per mm.

A non full frame sensor will have a different (usually smaller) sensor. Your EOS1200D sensor is 22.3mm x 14.9mm. It therefore only covers (approximately) 62.5% of the width and height of the full frame sensor. The effect of this is that it effectively crops what would be a full frame image and produces an image of the centre 62.5%. If it had the same pixel density as the full frame sensor (100 pix/mm) then the resolution would be 2230 x 1490 (versus 3500x2400 for the full frame).

However, sensor resolutions (pixels per mm) have been rising over the years, and have gone from 4Mpixels to 50+Mpixels. The problem is that as you pack more and more pixels into the same space they can start to interfere with each other, causing noise and soft images. So more pixels isn't always a good thing, not to mention that more pixels means less images fit on a memory card, and require more storage space on your PC.

You also need to factor in the quality of your lenses. No point in having a sensor that can resolve 10000 pixels per mm if you put a milk bottle in front of it that can only focus to a resolution of 100 pixels per mm. So stop wasting your money on overpriced coffee and save up for some better glass :roll: :D

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 pm
I think all sensors are CMOS. It refers to the semiconductor technology used to manufacture the sensor - Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor.

Full frame refers to the size of the sensor with respect to the old 35mm film standard. A full frame sensor will be 35mm wide and 24 mm tall ( or very close to that)- the same as a 35mm slide/negative. The pixels of the digital sensor will be spread evenly across that area, so if the sensor has a resolution of (say) 3500 x 2400, there will be 100 pixels per mm.

A non full frame sensor will have a different (usually smaller) sensor. Your EOS1200D sensor is 22.3mm x 14.9mm. It therefore only covers (approximately) 62.5% of the width and height of the full frame sensor. The effect of this is that it effectively crops what would be a full frame image and produces an image of the centre 62.5%. If it had the same pixel density as the full frame sensor (100 pix/mm) then the resolution would be 2230 x 1490 (versus 3500x2400 for the full frame).

However, sensor resolutions (pixels per mm) have been rising over the years, and have gone from 4Mpixels to 50+Mpixels. The problem is that as you pack more and more pixels into the same space they can start to interfere with each other, causing noise and soft images. So more pixels isn't always a good thing, not to mention that more pixels means less images fit on a memory card, and require more storage space on your PC.

You also need to factor in the quality of your lenses. No point in having a sensor that can resolve 10000 pixels per mm if you put a milk bottle in front of it that can only focus to a resolution of 100 pixels per mm. So stop wasting your money on overpriced coffee and save up for some better glass :roll: :D
Weirdly I don't tend to buy the overpriced stuff, I much prefer the proper fresh stuff :lol: :lol:

But thank you for replying with an answer to my question :thumbs:

I'm looking at said mentioned cameras and something like a Canon 100-400 Mk2 and an extender or a Sigma 150-600. :thumbs:

Uncle Fester Adams

Post by Uncle Fester Adams » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:55 am

The Canon 100-400 Mk2 is far better than the Sigma 150-600.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”