Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Canon 90D or 6D MkII

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Starbuck

Canon 90D or 6D MkII

Post by Starbuck » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,

for shooting moving jets, any thoughts on either a 6D MkII or a 90D?

Nighthawke

Re: Canon 90D or 6D MkII

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:19 pm

Can't help with personal experience but first question would be do you want full frame (6D) or crop sensor (90D)?

Secondly is this an upgrade - i.e. do you have existing lenses, as the 6D is EF mount only whereas the 90D also takes EF-S lenses.

I see that the 90D does 11fps compared to only 6.5 on the 6D. Just one of several comparisons on the web if you haven't already researched:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Cano ... 6D-Mark-II

Hope this helps start you off.

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:19 pm
Can't help with personal experience but first question would be do you want full frame (6D) or crop sensor (90D)?

Secondly is this an upgrade - i.e. do you have existing lenses, as the 6D is EF mount only whereas the 90D also takes EF-S lenses.

I see that the 90D does 11fps compared to only 6.5 on the 6D. Just one of several comparisons on the web if you haven't already researched:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Cano ... 6D-Mark-II

Hope this helps start you off.
In the grand scheme does it make much of a difference between a full frame and crop?

I'm upgrading from a 1200D so luckily got EF lenses,

Done a bit of research, not too bothered by the ISO on both models as it's more than what I've got at the moment.

davem

Post by davem » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:36 pm

The 90D is a newer camera and from the comparisons looks to have more AF points so unless you're wanting the FF for any particular reason (the 90D will have the same crop sensor as you're used to in the 1200D so lenses will perform the same albeit with the benefit of a much more modern sensor and more MP) then perhaps consider the 90D ahead of the 6D2?

As for the difference between a cropped sensor and FF, over the years I've moved from a 40D (1.6x crop) to a 1Dmk3 (1.3x crop) then 1D mk4 (1.3x crop) to a 1DX (FF) and have to admit I could definitely see the difference in image quality between them even with a comparatively low MP count although the technology used in them all was progressing as they went along so I guess progression is to be expected.

I bought my better half a 750D as an excuse to get backup body for me and even with EF lenses the difference between the 750D (24MP 1.6x crop) image output quality and 1DX (18MP FF) is huge despite shooting them both in RAW and doing the same RAW processing in Lightroom, in fact I'd probably not bother with it as a backup body unless in a dire emergency!

Hope this helps a bit!

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm

Starbuck wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm

I'm upgrading from a 1200D so luckily got EF lenses,

EF or EF-S? The 1200 can take both, as can the 90D, but the 6DMk2 can only take EF. I've only shot with the 6DMk2 out of these and it's an excellent camera but specifically for aviation photography and if you're not needing exceptional ISO performance the 90D might be a better option in this case

benji1867

Post by benji1867 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:12 am

I can only comment for the 6d2 as i own it and absolutely love it. I bought it as a 2nd body to the 7d2 and eventually sold the 7d2 as i tended to always reach for the 6d2. Quality is superb, and my initial worries about AF and the speed of it was unfounded.

hope that helps
Ben
Ben - UP THE OWLS

Instagram - @benji1867

flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/benji1867/

gnirtS

Post by gnirtS » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:53 pm

I know its an old thread but i can throw something in here.
I've got a 90D (upgraded from 70D) and its a decent camera but with a few caveats.

The high resolution is nice but it means its very pixel dense. The net result is it out resolves some of the cheaper EF-S type lenses to the point you wont get a sharp image unless you downsize. Not really an issue on the Ls but it can be on kit type and others. Some work better than others.
Im not overly happy with the AF tracking for moving subjects. Its on part roughly with my 70D but not as good as a 7D2 and so on. It works for sure but it not amazing.

Its a decent piece of kit but maybe worth renting one to try first. I havent tried a 6D2 to compare.

ukaviation

Post by ukaviation » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:32 pm

I know this is an old post but which one you decide on in the end? 3 years later and I’m faced with a similar dilemma, only to add the R7 in the mix.

ukaviation

Post by ukaviation » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:32 pm

I know this is an old post but which one you decide on in the end? 3 years later and I’m faced with a similar dilemma, only to add the R7 in the mix.

bvdbogaert

Post by bvdbogaert » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:46 am

Although your looking for a specific reply I would still like to throw in a couple of considerations:
- My personal opinion is that the quality of a fullframe easily outweighs the lack of a crop factor (but these things are always very personal).
- I still see a lot of people investing in DSLR camera's I really do question if this is the way to go. Obviously development of DSLR camera's is winding down. Mirrorless is the future; an investment in a DSLR camera probably means you have to invest in old type lenses in the coming years as well. They can usually work on a mirrorless camera with an adapter, but why stick with 'obsolete' technique? Again very personal, but I switched to mirrorless about 2 years ago and would not even consider going back. Don't know anything about the R7 as I have never used that.

Good luck

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”