Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

lightroom colour profile

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Mike s

lightroom colour profile

Post by Mike s » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

hi guys what colour profile do you use?
i used to use adobe colour but i found the colours look a bit fake, so for the past year odd i have been using camera faithful and i am much happier with my colours.. until i saw my photos on my flickr using my new pc that i use only for planeplotter.the adobe colours looks much better but when i see my camera faithful photos on my phone they looks fine
that said it could just be screen colour on the laptop!
here is my comparison shots sorry the're civil planes!
abobe colour
ImageG-MAJZ ABZ 28.9.2020AD by Mike stanners, on Flickr

camera faithful
ImageG-MAJZ ABZ 28.9.2020 by Mike stanners, on Flickr

mike
Check out my pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/46921869@N02/

SBS1 PP ground station nn FR24 Feeder planefinder feeder mil mode s feeder,UBC125XLT,Canon powershot SX50,& plane plotter route updater!

Wallace

Re: lightroom colour profile

Post by Wallace » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:03 am

The AdobeRGB has a wider possible range of colours, (you'll see this referred to a a gamut,) than sRGB, so AdobeRGB is superior.
However if you are posting to the web then you may as well use sRGB as that's the profile used in the internet. AdobeRGB profile pictures are automatically down converted to sRGB when posting to the internet, any colours that are out of the gamut will look odd and out of place. AdobeRGB and other wider gamuts are better for printing applications.

You may find that you can get better colour by using a Color Checker Passport.

You mentioned Faithful, which is a Canon picture style, the colours in your camera are processed to give a flatter look, I used to use it and applying a custom colour profile to bring the colours to a more natural, "as shot" look. Another way is to use the Standard Picture Style, which gives more richer blues and reds.

(This is the bit that may surprise, even though a photo is shot in RAW, the use of a picture style applies a colour bias to the RAW picture and in some cases such as the Standard Canon style, automatic in camera sharpening, whether you want it or not. I also used to use a custom picture style, based on the Standard Style with no sharpening being applied.)

Mike s

Re: lightroom colour profile

Post by Mike s » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Thanks Wallace
i noticed that camera faithful does look a bit flat but colours look more accurate than adobe ,i use standard picture style in camera with nothing appled but a small amount of sharping,i use sRGB Through out my processing however i also use dxo's nik collection which adds more contrast and structure to the photo and takes away some of the flatness
Check out my pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/46921869@N02/

SBS1 PP ground station nn FR24 Feeder planefinder feeder mil mode s feeder,UBC125XLT,Canon powershot SX50,& plane plotter route updater!

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”