Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scanned Images - How much unsharp mask ?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Doughnut

Scanned Images - How much unsharp mask ?

Post by Doughnut » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi All,
Just got a new scanner and so far really pleased with the results.
From reading other helpful website it seem best advise is a basic scan with the ICE on and all colour balance and sharpening OFF.
I think it is normal to expect a certain amount of expose / colour correction, but what about sharpness ?
I am using Photoshop unsharp mask at between 100% and 200%
Is there any difference between sharpening 100%, saving and sharpening again 100% or sharpening at 200% ie is the sharping scale logarithmic
and why does the picture image appear "more grainy" after I save and reopen than what it seemed to appear within Photoshop ?
regards
Paul

pooroldedgarderby

Re: Scanned Images - How much unsharp mask ?

Post by pooroldedgarderby » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:52 pm

That sounds like a lot of sharpening to me but I'm far from being an expert. Personally, I use about 70 - 80% and only once. I also use the 'lasso' tool to select the area to sharpen, ie. just the part of the photo which is in focus.

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:13 pm

I cannot recommend using ICE enough as my original scanner didn't have it and I would use less rather than more sharpening. A rule of thumb - work on the scan / digital image and then don't look at it for 24 hours, then open it up a fresh and form a new view on how it looks.....
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

alanp

Post by alanp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 pm

I found this PDF very useful in understanding how much sharpening to apply, it's certainly improved my output:
http://www.photoshopforphotographers.co ... /pdfs.html - scroll down a fair bit to sharpening scanned images.

I now use the presharpening and edge sharpening technique, which takes a bit of getting used to but once you've done it a few times becomes a lot quicker. At it's best it can feel almost digital - click through for full res:

ImageALAN_POTTS_X5_19830612_0009 by ALAN POTTS, on Flickr
Shameless self promotion on Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/spuggs

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”