Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Lake District Low Level.

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
John flightpath

Lake District Low Level.

Post by John flightpath » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:15 pm

I know about Dunmail Rise,but has anyone had any luck along the Kirkstone Pass. Just interested because I did a brief tour of the area this week. So I will be coming back up sometime with just me and the camera.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

H.A.Bucken

Re: Lake District Low Level.

Post by H.A.Bucken » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:06 am

I doubt owt flies through Kirkstone; your other option is the Lune Gorge, parking on the B road from the A685 at Grayrigg Hause then walk round the top of the hill- farmers permitting.
Roger, Kendal

Neil D

Post by Neil D » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:40 am

They do fly through the Kirkstone pass. Same as any other place you just have to sit and wait.

Neil

verreli

Post by verreli » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:46 am

They use the Kirkstone pass when routing towards Ulswater. That's far less used than the traditional South North route through LFA17. Recently though there's been a flurry of paraglider notam's around Thirlmere and the Northern Lakes and I've seen a fall off in traffic. I've also noticed more traffic routing around Coniston and Langdale. You can get some great days but it's more miss than hit these days.

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:41 pm

Getting a bit out of touch now, and there is a LOT less low flying everywhere, but we did go that way several times. It is a good bit higher over that pass than elsewhere, eg Dunamil, so often not passable due to weather, which means it is less likely to be planned unless you know it is going to be good.

I think the main rule about LL photography is that wherever you are, they will be in the other valley!

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Yes, you need some patience nowadays to get pictures low level in the Lake District.

I’ve done a few full days there recently, and got very little in return.

I was at Ullswater last week, saw a couple of Hawk Passes after coming down the Kirkstone Pass.

As has been mentioned, Paraglider NOTAMs have put paid to a lot of traffic through Dunmail and Thirlmere, although rotary traffic still routes through with some regularity.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Was in Ambleside last Tuesday and saw 2f15s with 2 f16s then abut later in the evening a single osprey passed think they all went over grasmere and through fun mail.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”