Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Camera and optics insurance

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
robw210

Camera and optics insurance

Post by robw210 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:19 am

What insurance companies are recommended for covering all camera kit and optical equipment ?.

Shocked at how much it would cost to replace my go to equipment , Off to USA soon , think I need to cover it all for the unthinkable .

Thank you

Dave Smith

Re: Camera and optics insurance

Post by Dave Smith » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 am

Can't you et them covered under our house insurance?

davem

Post by davem » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:43 pm

I get all mine covered on the all-risks part of my contents insurance with NFU - covers accidental damage as well up to an agreed single item limit (which I can choose) - obvs affects premium the higher unit item you choose but better be safe than sorry.

ms190876

Post by ms190876 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:21 pm

I have mine covered on my house insurance, with a couple of the more expensive items specified. Added very little to the overall premium

Also had to claim a few years ago after I dropped my 70-200 lens from about 5 feet - repairable, and all handled very efficiently

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:42 am

The only financially viable way to insure your whole camera kit is by selecting a Home Contents Insurance Company which offers extended cover for "Unspecified items below (say) £1500 outside of the Home" which covers your Bag only, smaller lens & Teleconverters & cheaper bodies. Anything over that is a "Specified Item " which must be registered under the Serial # with your value stated! Clearly under-insuring is unwise, however you should be aware that the stated values are 'indexed' annually & you can end up paying for inflated item values. " You pays your money & takes your choice!". I personally insure everything for a worst case event of total loss "All Risks / Worldwide" based on replacing used gear with used gear! I cannot personally justify the insurance premium on a "New for Old" basis! :)
I've had about 6 claims over 30 years & they've always paid-up. These days the claim goes through a professional Loss-Adjuster to ensure there are no dishonest or fraudulent claims that would raise every-ones' premium! :roll:

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”