Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Sensor cleaning

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Richard B

Re: Sensor cleaning

Post by Richard B » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:42 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:36 pm
I took a few pictures in the garden but a morning at an airfield will be a proper test
Try it on the fridge at f22, this will show if you have missed any, like ive put thou.
If you tend to shoot in aperture mode for aircraft in the F8 area you tend not to see it, unless you have some big spots.

Problem shows up more with going into shutter mode and setting slow speeds like 250th and below for prop blur etc on a bright day. This tends to up the aperture to double figures. This tends to then show dust spots.

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:50 pm

Pune wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:19 am
Black Mike wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:47 pm
I've been cleaning my own sensors for 10 years. Scary the first few times you do it but quite easy once you get the hang of it. Just watch the many videos on YouTube.
Thanks Mike, what is your chosen method?
Sorry, I have been away in Slogen country for a few days.

I never found the so called self cleaning mode to be of any use whatsoever with both Sony and Nikon bodies.

Multi stage:
Take reference shot to show the dust. Plain white or light coloured wall, f22.
Use air puffer first and check with another shot, compare with reference image.
If still problematic, I use a fine hair artist brush, I think 12mm wide to gently brush to the sides, this sometimes works but doesn't really remove it, just shoves it to the edges of the sensor which might be OK as most often cropped out in LR. I often skip this step especially if it looks bad. Take another image to compare.
Last option is a wet clean using sensor swabs and Eclipse fluid. Again take an image to check. Repeat as required until it is clean. It may take 2 or 3 attempts. Never reuse a swab, always use a fresh one.

There are many wet clean videos on YouTube. I only use 2 drops of fluid, Amy.more and it leaves wet lines and you need to use a fresh swab to do it again.

Best of luck.

Pune

Post by Pune » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:27 pm

Thanks Mike,
No need for apologies, lovely information, I'll give it some more thought.
Your help has been invaluable.
Thanks again.
Paul
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Pune

Post by Pune » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:52 pm

Thanks to all for advice and guidance, I really do appreciate your information.
Cheers
Pune
:thumb:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:41 am

Wasn't my advice any help 😁

The technique I used on the previous page using proprietary Swabs worked for me - from research I would never recommend using any form of air BRUSH :Wow: on the sensor : it says that on the instructions that come with the swabs.

Dust is probably a misnomer - the spots are more likely to be grease or oil spots generated over time by shutter mechanism.

When I compare my two reference shots there is a huge improvement. My 'Dust' spots were only apparent in blue skies.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:55 am

slogen51 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:41 am
Wasn't my advice any help 😁

The technique I used on the previous page using proprietary Swabs worked for me - from research I would never recommend using any form of air BRUSH :Wow: on the sensor : it says that on the instructions that come with the swabs.

Dust is probably a misnomer - the spots are more likely to be grease or oil spots generated over time by shutter mechanism.

When I compare my two reference shots there is a huge improvement. My 'Dust' spots were only apparent in blue skies.
Air blowers are ok, i have used air lines at work that have a static elimination built in to de static charge parts we made. As long its not to high a pressure that fine. Those air pressure aerosols can blowers are not to be used the co2 propellant does damage.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:56 am

Air blowers but not with the brush attachment

No brushes allowed on my sensor

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:57 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:56 am

Yep, Rocket blower being the best.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:59 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:56 am

Yep, Rocket blower being the best.

Focal_Plane

Post by Focal_Plane » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:13 am

Just bumping this old thread as I`ve recently had a camera returned from Nikon after a shutter replacement and it came back with a mark on the sensor.

It`s supposed to have had a "professional" clean but I guess in transit a particle of dust has got on the sensor. Because it`s such a long time to-and-fro Nikon to get this re-done I`ve tried to remove it with a sensor swab kit and, whilst the offending mark`s been removed, the cleaning kit (Pig Iron - Pixel Polishers), is leaving a residue on the sensor which I can see at f11 and upwards. I`ve made several attempts using varying amounts of fluid so as not to flood the sensor, but I still get a residue resulting in tiny dots when viewed at 100%.

Does anyone have a direct recommendation of a cleaning kit that won`t do this?

MTIA

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 pm

VSGO works for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124500349055 ... media=COPY

Confirmed self sensor cleaner here.

General comment - I use dust delete data too in the camera and it’s effective, just need to remember to re set it every time the lens is changed.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:49 am

Okay, where to start? I'm a dedicated self-sensor-cleaner of Canon APS-C, APS-H & FF. Sensors. Random list of equipment & requirements I use coming -up!

1] Be confident & careful. Use extra light, a LedLenser headtorch in my case. :thumb:

2] Don't use pressurised can air-blowers, they damage your bypass filter (& pollute the mirror on SLR bodies) + push dust up into the prism where you can't clean without a complete camera stripdown. :O

Use a Rocket blower with the open camera aperture facing down! Ensure the Mirror is clear of dust as this will go straight onto the sensor next time you actuate the shutter.

3] Consider an illuminated Loupe for examining the Sensor to see the extent of the problem. Bear in mind the Dust Bunny that looks like a Flak Burst on your image is only thousandths of a millimetre long! Great if your eyesight ain't what it was!
4] With an SLR the said Dust Bunny that's in the top right of your picture IS ON the bottom left off your sensor! ;) Examine the artifact to identify if it's loose or possibly 'burnt-on' over an extended period of NOT cleaning it?

5] I use an Arctic Butterfly Brush to clear loose static dust. Yes, they're expensive, BUT they work. Don't be a numbnuts & switch it on inside the body. :grr: It works by static charging the brush by rotation outside the body. Dab lightly on the sensor filter & withdraw to rotate to clear the debris & recharge. Avoid touching the area surrounding the sensor or oil will get on the brush. Potentially tragic, but I use contact cleaner to clean the bristles periodically ways away from the camera!

6] There are swabs & SWABS. Some are so crap they put more artifacts in! Pay the right money for quality items manufactured in a 'clean-room' not, a chicken shed. Use for one swipe per side & throw away. ( it hurts to do it but the alternative of scratching the bypass filter hurts more!) :(

7] I use 'Eclipse' fluid for 'wet-cleaning' any unlikely stubborn artifacts I have. A single drop (yes Drop!) on the centre of the swab edge is sufficient to 'wet' that edge for the full width. (we are not swimming pool cleaning!) Ideally after each front & rear swab pas there should be NO liquid seen, Just a very light haze that dries immediately. :whistle:

8] Buy the swab width that suits your Sensor height precisely & swipe once in one action from one side to the other. Starting at the sensor edge at about 60 degrees with constant pressure to the other side of the sensor, avoiding the sensor frame where lubricant lurks! Reverse the swab & repeat in reverse. ( Reminder....Throw away!) :'(

9]Re-check with the Loupe to ensure all artifacts are gone. Shoot a white subject full-frame @ f.22 to check results, (or the predominantly white cloudscape in the UK') Reset your 'Dust Delete Setting' regularly between cleans. Ensure your camera is set to 'clean' sensor when turned-on & off! If you change your lens in the field always turn the Camera off. Keep Body Cap & Rear Lens Cap in place whilst equipment is not in use. Dust on an unprotected rear lens goes straight on the sensor the minute you point the lens skyward!

10] I believe the Canon system does work, at least sufficiently for me to get away with the DRY Static Cleans. Bear in mind that a Dust Artifact is actually a micro spade-full of dirt. Wet it & rub it harshly & it's like sandpaper! This is the way I've done well over 100 sensor cleans, BUT you do it how YOU want! ;)

11] Of course, you could avoid the Dust Bunnies appearing by keeping to f.8 or greater, you could also turn the auto-ISO off & set it to 50 ISO to get lower shutter speeds on Tv for Props & Rotors. You could rely on the 'Dust Delete' data to clear the majority of artifacts during the copious post-processing that most people do these days....or you could just clean the soddin' camera? :lol: :halo:

Focal_Plane

Post by Focal_Plane » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 pm

XWP29 / Supra,

Thank you very much for your replies. The cleaning method is very useful, even though many moons ago I did use to clean my own sensor I feel very out of practise. That was when I had a Fuji S2 which, at the time, was way out ahead of both Canon and Nikon with a 12 MP sensor. How times have changed.

I`ve taken on board the advice and will do some more searching on the camera forums as well. The swabs I have, although supposedly for a full frame Nikon sensor, seem rather tight in the recess to me and I think that`s causing me issues when trying to make a nice clean sweep of the sensor; that and controlling the fluid out of the little bottle (it doesn`t have a dispensing nozzle), on to the swab.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”