Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Heliops Seakings Portland

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
111blackmike

Heliops Seakings Portland

Post by 111blackmike » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:42 pm

Does anyone know if the seakings owned by Heliops are still flying out of Portland?. I will be on holiday next week and will be staying only 30 minutes away from Portland so I was hoping to pop over one day to try and catch one of them as its been ages since I have seen one.

Freeman Lowell

Re: Heliops Seakings Portland

Post by Freeman Lowell » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:35 pm

Mike,
Yes. Damien XV666 was flying around the Purbecks whilst we were out walking on Wednesday last.
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

111blackmike

Post by 111blackmike » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Freeman Lowell wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:35 pm
Mike,
Yes. Damien XV666 was flying around the Purbecks whilst we were out walking on Wednesday last.
Freeman
Thank you Freeman, Thats great news, I will make sure to leave a day for Portland to try and see them.

jag56

Post by jag56 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:46 pm

On this matter , where is the best / safest place to view them as I am in that area next week on holiday.

jag56

Post by jag56 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:57 pm

On this matter , where is the best / safest place to view them as I am in that area next week on holiday.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 pm

jag,
Take a look at the media tab on the Portland HeliOperations Supporters Facebook page (you don't need to be a Facebook user) to see a wide variety of photos taken of the helipad users on Portland. Depending on what shots you are looking for, that will help you choose your vantage point. The car park off Mulberry Avenue might be a good starting point though.
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

jag56

Post by jag56 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks for the information will check out locations on face book. Thanks again for info.

nellis6

Post by nellis6 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:20 am

There's a public car park adjacent to the facility. It's easy to see on Google Maps. Park there and walk up the mound in the car park and it gives you a clear view of the facility
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Member, IFNM Press Agency
www.ifnm.org

Member, Canon Professional Services
www.canon.co.uk

jag56

Post by jag56 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up fingers crossed weather Wednesday / Thursday next week is better!

111blackmike

Post by 111blackmike » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:08 pm

jag56 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:37 pm
Thanks for the heads up fingers crossed weather Wednesday / Thursday next week is better!
If you go to the Monthly competition for September I have posted one of my images from when I went a two weeks ago. It was taken from the mound that's next to the car park Freeman and Nellis are taking about, if you click on the image it will take you to flickr and it will show you the settings is used and also the lens.

jag56

Post by jag56 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:34 pm

Excellent photo of Sea King, great detail ! Thanks for the pointers, weather looks better Wednesday onwards !

100arw

Post by 100arw » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Via BBC (5/11)

Proposals to expand a heliport site on the Dorset coast have been given the go-ahead.

The operators of the site at Osprey Quay on Portland submitted plans for a new hangar and crew accommodation.

Dorset County Council approved the planning application despite concerns raised about noise and pollution.

The heliport insisted there would be no increase in flights resulting from the development which would provide 40 jobs.

The site was part of the former Portland Naval Base and was used by search and rescue helicopters until June 2017.

The new facilities will include overnight accommodation, training rooms, a winch simulator and equipment stores

The heliport, now run by HeliOperations, provides training for UK and foreign search and rescue crews as well as maintenance and engineering work.

The new facilities would include overnight crew accommodation, training rooms, a winch simulator and equipment stores.

About 30 objections were received, many citing increased noise and potential environmental health issues, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Portland Town Council said it was worried about noise and fumes from the operation.

Return to “South West England”