Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
RedBaron68

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by RedBaron68 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm

Thanks roughcutter, I have volume one of the new Canberra book by Ken Delve backed up to read. Ken Delve’s name attracted me to the title as he co-authored the excellent MCP Canberra book from some years ago.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:20 pm

I briefly met Ken Delve at the Marham Heritage center the other day

I purchased Marham operational history 1916 - 2019 which he wrote

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:38 am

roughcutter wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:20 pm
RIAT22; After purchasing some patches from 1st ACCS guys, my mate had a very amicable conversation with one of the aircrew members about the E-4B. The guy he spoke to was amazed at his knowledge of the aircraft and was naturally fairly guarded in his answers. However on parting, he (as an aside) tacitly hinted at a publication called "Raven Rock" by Garrett M. Graff. It is available for download on kindle for £9.99, admittedly I haven't read it myself yet, so can't comment. But, straight from the horse's mouth.... ;)
I've finished reading RAVEN ROCK a few weeks ago and while it covers a few bits and pieces concerning the E-4B NEACP it is mainly about the survivability of the US Government in times of war and/or attack. Covers lots of military and political history and it's still a good and interesting read, but it's NOT an in-depth look into the Boeing E-4B.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:24 am

awacsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:38 am
roughcutter wrote:
RIAT22; After purchasing some patches from 1st ACCS guys, my mate had a very amicable conversation with one of the aircrew members about the E-4B. The guy he spoke to was amazed at his knowledge of the aircraft and was naturally fairly guarded in his answers. However on parting, he (as an aside) tacitly hinted at a publication called "Raven Rock" by Garrett M. Graff. It is available for download on kindle for £9.99, admittedly I haven't read it myself yet, so can't comment. But, straight from the horse's mouth.... ;)
I've finished reading RAVEN ROCK a few weeks ago and while it covers a few bits and pieces concerning the E-4B NEACP it is mainly about the survivability of the US Government in times of war and/or attack. Covers lots of military and political history and it's still a good and interesting read, but it's NOT an in-depth look into the Boeing E-4B.
Ah right. I might still download a copy anyway, looks an intriguing subject, cheers. :thumb:

hanzl

Post by hanzl » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:08 am

just a few tips...
Davies,S. Red Eagles(USAF MiG sqn)
Samuel, Glory Days(Vietnam EB-66 ops)
Spooner,T Warburton's War(WW2 Malta PR 'ace')
Forsyth,F. Shadow over the Atlantic(WW2 Lw.Fw200/Ju290)
Archer,B. Super Snooper(RC-135 ops)
Kimbell,A. Think like a bird(AAC Beaver ops)
Broughton Thud Ridge(Vietnam F-105 ops)
Hayward Stopped at Stalingrad(WW2 Lw airbridge failure)
Price,A. Instruments of Darkness(WW2 electronic warfare)
to name few.... :clap:
grtz,
Hans
Last edited by hanzl on Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:57 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:24 am
awacsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:38 am
roughcutter wrote:
Ah right. I might still download a copy anyway, looks an intriguing subject, cheers. :thumb:
Just finished 'Raven Rock' a very interesting read on a subject that's just got more relevant unfortunately ...
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:17 pm

RedBaron68 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm
Thanks roughcutter, I have volume one of the new Canberra book by Ken Delve backed up to read. Ken Delve’s name attracted me to the title as he co-authored the excellent MCP Canberra book from some years ago.

Amazon is currently selling volume 2 for £33.57 (£2.80 p&p) ;)

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:45 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:17 pm
RedBaron68 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm

Amazon is currently selling volume 2 for £33.57 (£2.80 p&p) ;)
Subjected to delay - postal strike (I've since cancelled my order).

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:14 am

Third edition of Robert S Hopkins III book KC-135 - Not Just a Tanker is in circulation.

SKW100

Post by SKW100 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:28 pm

Thank you for the recommendation, I have a book voucher to use so will make this a priority.

moonstone_laura

Post by moonstone_laura » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:44 pm

To be published on March 30th 2023 by 'Air World':

A Royal Navy Cold War Buccaneer Pilot: Flying the Famous Maritime Strike Aircraft

by Simon Kershaw

"This is a vivid and powerful story of life on board the last of our great Second World War-era aircraft carriers, modernised to serve beyond its time. It is a story of the Cold War which conveys the trials and tribulations of flying one of the best-loved military aircraft in history. Steve Kershaw joined the Royal Navy in 1963. He began flying training in 1968 and progressed to the Blackburn Buccaneer - a world-class naval strike jet that was designed to fly very fast at ultra-low altitudes...In this book, Steve's story is revealed by his son, Simon, through the words of his father, drawn from a mass of letters sent by him, and the recollections of those who served alongside him."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Navy-Col ... 39904012X/

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:02 pm

Published during 2022 by Yale University Press (New Haven and London)
Spymaster - the man who saved MI6
by Helen Fry
Mainly about spying from early 1900s to after WW2, but includes aviation and rocket stuff too. Very well researched and written. Shows just how important spies and spying can be, especially in this case just one man - Thomas Kendrick.
A very good read, although perhaps slightly hard going for the early stuff.

Youdy71

Post by Youdy71 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:40 pm

Military Low-Level Flying from F-4 to F-35

‘A pictorial display of low flying in Cumbria and beyond’

A new book by Scott Rathbone featuring over 300 colour images of over 70 types of aircraft from 20 air arms between 1986 and 2022.

Much more than just images, this book contains an outline of low-level flying within the UK with details of events, eye witness accounts and examples of traffic levels throughout the period covered. The image captions provide varying details, but were known give details of exercises or other reasons why a particular aircraft was photographed at that time.

https://sites.google.com/airfighters.c ... mbria/home

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1399092782 ... 5063a98c67

BwlchAwyren

Post by BwlchAwyren » Sat May 13, 2023 11:07 am

Thanks for the recommendation on the low level flying from f4 to f35

monkeypuzzle11

Post by monkeypuzzle11 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:50 am

Low Level Flying From F-4 to F-35 is an excellent book, worth a read.

Jason Grant

Post by Jason Grant » Wed May 24, 2023 2:06 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying Experimental Test Pilot: Military Aircraft Research Flying by Chris Taylor.

Chris Taylor has, over nigh on 40 years of aviating, amassed 8500 flying hours and logged pilot time in over 400 aircraft types of virtually all classes. His first book, “Test Pilot; An Extraordinary Career Testing Civil Aircraft”, which was published a couple of years ago, was about his time as a civilian test pilot. However, that book did not focus on his military service, during which he became an operational helicopter pilot, top-rated instructor, experimental test pilot and flight test tutor with the Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS).

Link to amazon: https://amzn.eu/d/6YxG3YA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonintamworth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moonstone_laura

Post by moonstone_laura » Mon May 29, 2023 7:37 am

Due to be published by Key in the next week or so:

Israeli Air Force

Air Forces Series, Vol. 10

Celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2023, the Israeli Air Force has become a sophisticated and formidable power supported by highly trained personnel and a vast array of contemporary weaponry. Continually on alert in a regional hotspot, the Israeli Air Force has evolved to become the main pillar of defence for the nation.

The force currently has 402 aircraft at its disposal, including 290 fighter-bombers, 136 helicopters and 80 unmanned aerial vehicles for reconnaissance, surveillance and attack. Each year, the Air Force carries out hundreds of combat sorties and training missions to keep its personnel trained to a state of readiness and to protect its borders. The history of the force and its aircraft are detailed alongside the significant wars that have shaped the current Air Force.

Author: Babak Taghvaee

https://shop.keypublishing.com/products ... 7e8f&_ss=r

Bobling

Post by Bobling » Mon May 29, 2023 10:15 pm

Great thread, and suprised how many I have read!

Currently "First Light" is book at bedtime for my 12 year old and I. It's amazing how accessible it is, we're only just out of training though so things are about to get a bit heavy.

Malcolm H

Post by Malcolm H » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:04 pm

Great Thread!!
I read a lot and recommend "F4 Phantom: A Pilot's Story" by Robert Prest; "Shattered Sword" by Anthony P. Tully and Jonathan Parshall about The Battle of Midway and "Red Eagles" by Steve Davies the story of Tonopah and the exposure of pilots to Migs.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:30 pm

Robert Prest's book is excellent. Have had it for years, and it is often re-read. I have a good friend who is an ex F.4 Driver, and he has a copy also.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”