Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Boeing Offers P-8 multi role pod

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Ghost from above

Boeing Offers P-8 multi role pod

Post by Ghost from above » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:41 am

Boeing is showcasing a pod at the Dubai Airshow for the center line weapon point to allow fitting of additional sensors.This allows development by each operator of different mission equipment to expand the P-8's role.

This further development seems to have been borne out of the success of the development of the AN/APS-154 AAS pod which showed that the P-8 could be a multi role platform.

Gives further thought on why the UK reduced the number of E-7 airframes and based them at Lossiemouth.

Full article here.
https://aviationweek.com/shownews/dubai ... onal-sales
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

Unknown74

Re: Boeing Offers P-8 multi role pod

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:49 am

Would this also some how explain the decision to retire the Sentinel?

scorpont

Post by scorpont » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Unknown74 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:49 am
Likely, I know the official stance is that the P8 is to fill the role of the Sentinel - the Sentinel itself filled the gap left by Nimrod (R1). I'd imagine the Boeing Airseeker R.1 and Boeing Poseidon MRA.1 could both fill the gaps in the ISTAR fleet we have now.

Bluetail

Post by Bluetail » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:54 pm

scorpont wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:26 pm
Unknown74 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:49 am
Likely, I know the official stance is that the P8 is to fill the role of the Sentinel - the Sentinel itself filled the gap left by Nimrod (R1). I'd imagine the Boeing Airseeker R.1 and Boeing Poseidon MRA.1 could both fill the gaps in the ISTAR fleet we have now.
The Nimrod R.1 was a pure SIGINT Platform, but the Sentinel was a JSTARS type platform with essentially only an overland role, hence its use in supporting the Army, and totally different from the R.1. The RAF RC-135s (Airseeker was only the program name and is not the name of the aircraft) replaced the Nimrod R.1s completely as a SIGINT platform. The Poseidon platform has been purchased for Maritime Ops (hence MRA) to fill the gap left with the cancellation of the Nimrod MRA.4. Any plans to use Poseidons as an overland reconnaissance is pure speculation because there are lots of roles still to be fulfilled in the near future for maritime ops, such as an SAR Role, before any overland role is developed. And just to complete the story, Shadow was procured under a UOR to replace the secondary overland role the Nimrod MR.2 had at the end of its life.
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!!
WEBSITE... http://3adpictures.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:03 am

scorpont wrote:
I'm not sure that's correct, the P8 replaced the gap left by the Nimrod MR2/4. The Sentinel was a new requriement for a stand-off radar similar to the USAF J-Stars E-8 aircraft. It has been said and proposed that the P8 could, with the correct equipment, perform its prime ASW/Maritime role and also a stand-off radar role.

scorpont

Post by scorpont » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Agent K wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:03 am
scorpont wrote:
I'm not sure that's correct, the P8 replaced the gap left by the Nimrod MR2/4. The Sentinel was a new requriement for a stand-off radar similar to the USAF J-Stars E-8 aircraft. It has been said and proposed that the P8 could, with the correct equipment, perform its prime ASW/Maritime role and also a stand-off radar role.
You're right - I had completely duff gen on that. Done some more research on the topic and concluded I need to stop listening to speculation haha :Oops:

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 pm

scorpont wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Agent K wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:03 am
scorpont wrote:
You're right - I had completely duff gen on that. Done some more research on the topic and concluded I need to stop listening to speculation haha :Oops:
It’s a learning place for all of us here at times, I’ve learnt a lot and I work in aviation!, speculation can catch us all out! it’s good also to have the humility to recognise that.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”