Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF sets record first flight using synthetic fuel.

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
BOLLO

RAF sets record first flight using synthetic fuel.

Post by BOLLO » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 pm

http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

Richard B

Re: RAF sets record first flight using synthetic fuel.

Post by Richard B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:57 pm

Did not the Germans in ww2 use a lot of synthectic fuels, became targets for the production facilties by bomber command.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am

Richard B wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:57 pm
Did not the Germans in ww2 use a lot of synthectic fuels, became targets for the production facilties by bomber command.
They made a petrol substitute from coal I think.

But this is potentially very big news for GA sector and maybe automotive, especially if the fuel can be produced at a viable cost using renewable electricity sources and a direct petrol replacement with no modification to existing engines.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Porsche are investing 100's of millions in synthetic bio fuels to keep their high performance cars running with combustion engines, at least its another way forward. The idea of driving / flying around in an electric something with as much charisma as a fridge depresses me.

cat1

Post by cat1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:35 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:53 pm
Porsche are investing 100's of millions in synthetic bio fuels to keep their high performance cars running with combustion engines, at least its another way forward. The idea of driving / flying around in an electric something with as much charisma as a fridge depresses me.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheap cameras aren't good. Good cameras aren't cheap

quid21

Post by quid21 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Synthetic aviation fuel has been around for a number of years now, I seem to recall the US testing it - not sure if they ever hit the target of half and half by 2011. https://www.flightglobal.com/usaf-to-st ... 32.article

I would've thought that if we could find a way of splitting the hydrogen out cheaply and without consuming vast amounts of power, that would be good for hydrogen powered car tech too.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”