Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Chateaudun Storage Facility

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
fatherfaff

Chateaudun Storage Facility

Post by fatherfaff » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 pm

I was looking at my 1978 Farnborough log and noted Mirage F.1B c/n 10/F-ZJTJ there in desert camo. Apparently this then went to the Moroccan Air Force but further research says it was preserved at Chateaudun in 1995 coded "12-ZD". I had never heard of Chateaudun but apparently it is a huge aircraft store for the French Air Force.

Does anyone know anything about this place and whether anything is publicly accessible or whether there are public tours or whether you can "spot" from outside. And how do the French treat English aircraft spotters!?

Blackcat1

Re: Chateaudun Storage Facility

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:33 pm

Went to Chateaudun in 2001 with my late Uncle and a couple of friends. The French were quite friendly but we're Welsh , not sure how friendly they are if you're English?? But I doubt you would have trouble 😊 They didn't like us spotting at the end of the runway at Evereux airbase as the police turned up ! but my Uncle could speak French so we ended up having a conversation about the Rugby! And they then left us to enjoy! Our trip to Chateaudun was an organised trip by a friend, not sure how accessible it is these days though.
Last edited by Blackcat1 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:35 pm

It used to house hundreds of Magisters, Mirage 3/4/5, Jags, Transalls - basically anything and everything the FrAF had retired. It was relatively open, and you could see a lot from the outside. The Gendarmes though could be a bit on the hostile side - certainly in the 80's and 90's hanging around for any length of time would result in blue flashing lights.

Kind of irrelevant now though - the place has been cleared and the base is closed. A few preserved frames survive, but it's not what it once was.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:41 pm

If you type Chateaudun in the search box at the top-right then you'll find loads of other discussions & logs regarding it.
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:20 pm

India bought 40 Mirage 2000’s as spares source last summer. That helped emptying Chateaudun a fair bit.

Alf

Post by Alf » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:07 am

Just the museum left, the base closed for good not long ago.

Andy Marden

Post by Andy Marden » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:52 am

fatherfaff wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 pm
I was looking at my 1978 Farnborough log and noted Mirage F.1B c/n 10/F-ZJTJ there in desert camo. Apparently this then went to the Moroccan Air Force but further research says it was preserved at Chateaudun in 1995 coded "12-ZD".
F-ZJTJ was Libyan, it became 205. Also, this was "c/n" 5.
"c/n" 10 at FBO 78 was F-ZJTK, which became Libya 510.
Morocco has never operated tw-seat Mirage F1s.
Don't mix these up with French Mirage F1s with the same "c/n". 10/12-ZD preserved at Chateuadun has nothing to do with the Farnborough aircraft.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”