Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Which is noisier?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
andygolfer

Re: Which is noisier?

Post by andygolfer » Thu May 19, 2022 4:39 pm

podge wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:38 am
I took my Jack Russel to Marham for the Tornado farewell.

He didn’t bat an eye lid with all the Tornado’s departing but when an F-35 went up he absolutely s**t himself.
I hope you had a poo bag then - if it had been me and my dog I might have needed one for the dog and one for me :lol: I'd certainly say the F35 is the louder and certainly 'shakes' me more.

I wonder if position relative to the aircraft makes much difference to the volume of noise though/
Andy
admin on the sister forum, http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk
but being old and grey I like a bit of the military stuff too !

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Thu May 19, 2022 6:00 pm

Four Vulcan scrambles topped the lot!
Andy, as for the aspect of the aircraft, maybe ask the group caught by the B-1 at Cottesmore.

ARFA

Post by ARFA » Thu May 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Good debate,I talked to a German guy at Coningsby about whether 4 Saudi Tornados were louder than 4 Phantoms--when our ears stopped ringing! The f35b is loud-for a "stealth " aircraft,the last pass at Linton with everything lit drew comments from from very senior brass there!

kenskyhawk

Post by kenskyhawk » Fri May 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Did anyone ever experience the XB-70 take off on full burner. That's one bird I would have loved to see fly.
Surely it must have been the noisiest ever?
6 X J.93's @ 28000lb/thrust each.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Talking of Aircraft being loud or noiser does anyone remember the Year the USAF B-1B took off to display at Leuchars and you could hear it from the South of Scotland or somewhere? Also I do remember in 2013 my Pa and I were leaving or had already left Leuchars and there was an almighty roar and we were nowhere near the base and we wondered what it was? Turned out it was the Saab Viggen.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:26 pm

F-35 of all variants are loud but in my opinion the F-15E is louder. When standing near the barn area past the viewing area adjacent to the 24 eor at Lakenheath, the Echo models are in my opinion quite painful when going to full afterburner especially when a four ship is also lining up from the north side.

The most earsplitting experience for me was during a visit to Homestead AFB one year when an FM F-16 started up, similar to the euro F-16 line up at Mildenhall airshow in days gone by, the high pitch of the of the engine led to taking pictures one handed while the other hand was trying to save one ear for the future!

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:40 pm

Sound is very strange. If you have say, twenty Phantoms running up to full power, the noise does NOT magnify by more than about 4 aircraft at full power It's very odd!. At Oshkosh once, twenty five P.51 Mustangs were lined up abreast on a taxi-way, and all were instructed to start up, and, once T's and-P's were fine, they were all run up to high power. It was all a bit of a waste of time, because whilst the crowd, me included, expected to hear one Merlin magnified 25 times, it didn't seriously sound particularly impressive. Living opposite me is a lovely lady called Rosalind, who just happens to be a seriously qualified Audio expert [she attends Environment Conferences etc as an Expert Witness]. I queried this sort of question re noise magnification with increased numbers, and she explained it [very technically]. I must raise it with her again, unless anyone here knows the theory. She is in Zimbabwe at a Noise Conference at this moment, so I will try her again on her return.. :)

Plane enthuiast

Post by Plane enthuiast » Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 pm

When I stood in Johns Field with the WC-135 at Mildenhall on the runway 10 underrun found that very loud indeed especially when it spooled up and took off.

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:46 pm

I had my first experience of the F35,s at Lakenheath last week, both take offs and landing. I had warned my missus that the F35 was going to be much louder, but actually neither of us thought there was any real difference in sound, and I would actually say the F15 is still louder on take off.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Sat May 21, 2022 5:26 am

Kenskyhawk. Anyone seeing and hearing the XB70 fly would have been. Like you, I wish I had seen it fly, though I have seen it on the ground IMPRESSIVE!!!. It retired in 1969. There was once an F84 Thunderstreak fitted with a large turbo-prop with an equally large propeller which at the time, was regarded as the noisiest aircraft ever [?] and was nicknamed the 'Thunderscreech'.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”