Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Sea Vixen | Sea Hawk Announcement - Navy Wings

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Gary
Administrator

Sea Vixen | Sea Hawk Announcement - Navy Wings

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 am

Navy Wings Trustees have reached the difficult decision to cease work on Sea Vixen FAW2 XP924.

The Sea Vixen suffered a hydraulic failure in May 2017 resulting in a controlled wheels up landing at RNAS Yeovilton. Despite the charity’s best efforts to attract interest over the last five years, including appeals for a ‘white knight’ to fund the restoration of the Sea Vixen, we were unable to raise the considerable funds required to restore her back to flight.
As the charity is funded by public donations, Trustees must always be mindful of achieving the most cost-effective outcomes from the funds that are generously donated by our supporters. With that in mind, the decision has been taken to offer the Sea Vixen to a museum or private collection.

However, if someone was to come forward in the next month with a plan to purchase the aircraft and restore her back to flight, we would listen to any proposals seriously.
Over the same period, we have been assessing the wider feasibility of all our potential aircraft restoration projects and, as part of that process, we have concluded that the restoration of Sea Hawk FGA.6 VW908 to flight is both affordable and achievable.

The aircraft, which last displayed in 2010, has been in dehumidified storage at RAF Shawbury awaiting a decision on her future. We have now commissioned a full survey of the work required and in broad terms, it will cost about 10% of the funds that would be required to return the Sea Vixen to flight.

Therefore, the Charity is delighted to announce that the plan to restore WV908 back to flight will now commence. The aircraft has recently been transferred to our Heritage Hangar at Yeovilton and our engineers will oversee the return to flight plan, which we estimate will take about two years.

This has been a very difficult decision for the charity. We believe that this course of action is the most responsible and has by far the greatest opportunity to be successful. The Sea Hawk will make an exciting addition to the future air show circuit.

We will be providing regular updates on the Sea Hawk project via our social channels, so if you would like to support the restoration of the Sea Hawk and get restoration news first, please join us by signing up as a supporter.
https://navywings.org.uk/sea-vixen-sea- ... qcYeh47ZZU

Sad news about the Sea Vixen, but great news for the Sea Hawk.
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Sparts99

Re: Sea Vixen | Sea Hawk Announcement - Navy Wings

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 am

I think it was inevitable really. Even if it was 100% reliable the cost just to operate must be huge, jets of that era weren't built with economy of operation in mind, I suppose they couldn't be given the technology of the time. I read an article about the Sea Vixen when it was based at Bournemouth that said everytime it got air under its wheels the cost was £6k minimum. Sad though, The Sea Vixen was one of my favourites in the 60s when I was a lad, I'd love to see it flying again.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:27 am

I'm only surprised that they haven't said this earlier!

Many in the RNHF/FNHT didn't want the Vixen in the first place, so I'm not surprised hardly any fundraising has taken place...
'its a lot less bover in the hover'

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 am

For me, that's a very positive and exciting announcement. The bad news was utterly inevitable (we all knew really, didn't we...?), whereas the good news is a bit unexpected! Being small, straight-winged and single-engined, the Sea Hawk is a much more practical prospect for regular airshow appearances (even regardless of restoration costs), and I can't wait to see it back in the air!

cat1

Post by cat1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 am

Seahornet1 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 am
For me, that's a very positive and exciting announcement. The bad news was utterly inevitable (we all knew really, didn't we...?), whereas the good news is a bit unexpected! Being small, straight-winged and single-engined, the Sea Hawk is a much more practical prospect for regular airshow appearances (even regardless of restoration costs), and I can't wait to see it back in the air!
i know it was obiously coming but as a RNAS supporter its sad all the same
Cheap cameras aren't good. Good cameras aren't cheap

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:35 am

cat1 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 am
Seahornet1 wrote:
i know it was obiously coming but as a RNAS supporter its sad all the same
Don't get me wrong, I'm right with you there. I'm gutted about the Vixen, but that pain began the moment the incident happened (especially since I was sitting at Cosford waiting for it to show up at the time...!).

Supra

Post by Supra » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:48 am

Apologies if I missed it, can somebody tell me what 10% of 'X' is? This statement ref' Sea Hawk the worries me..."We have now commissioned a full survey of the work required and in broad terms, it will cost about 10% of the funds that would be required to return the Sea Vixen to flight." If 'X' is known (& commits the Sea Vixen to Non-flyer) then 'broadly 10%' should be made known as an achievable target IMO, unlike fixing the delta-wing money-pit!

POL

Post by POL » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:50 am

https://navywings.org.uk/sea-vixen-update-5/

"Just over £2m"

So Probably somewhere just over the £200k mark for the Sea Hawk.

seven

Post by seven » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am

Seahornet1 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:35 am
cat1 wrote:
Seahornet1 wrote:
(especially since I was sitting at Cosford waiting for it to show up at the time...!).
It pranged on May 27th, Cosford was 3 weeks after that..?
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Supra

Post by Supra » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:05 pm

seven wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am
Seahornet1 wrote:
cat1 wrote:

Guess 4G service in Cosford is appalling! :whistle:
Thanks EGVP. :thumb: By their reference to 'the Pandemic' I'm thinking this Sea Vixen estimate may have risen by maybe an additional 10% in the intervening period due to well known inflationary elements?
Question of the Day..... Why doesn't an aviation enthusiast ever win the Euro-millions Lottery? ;)

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:19 pm

seven wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am
Seahornet1 wrote:
cat1 wrote:

Ah, well now... There was an event at Cosford the fateful day (RAFA, maybe?). Since the Vixen was displaying at Duxford, there was a strong rumour that it might do a couple of fly-bys for us, before heading back to Yeovilton. Since it was also due to display at the Cosford show a few weeks later, the idea that the crew might want an early recce just added to the rumour. :P

seven

Post by seven » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm

A strong rumour, however strong, doesn't make fact. IIRC there was 2 shows booked that day, but neither was anywhere near Cosford. And '924 wasn't a cheap aircraft to take on cross country jaunts!

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:13 pm

...And not being a fact doesn't stop one from hoping there's some truth in the rumour! :P

Seriously though, we didn't know the details at the time, just heard the rumour. Quite clearly it was never really going to happen, because it didn't turn up. And then the next thing we heard that afternoon was that it had effectively been written off in a landing accident.... :(

seven

Post by seven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm

Tbf, as I recall, it had an issue whilst displaying at Duxford, and elected to RTB where the seriousness of the situation then arose. So even if it was due, that's why it didn't turn up.

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:39 am

History of the flight is all in here....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _03-18.pdf

The hydraulic issue appears to have been due to a mysterious "Contamination" in both the red and green systems. There doesn't seem to be any further info on what this contamination was, unless anyone knows more? :S Either way, thank goodness it didn't affect the yellow / blue systems, for the powered flying controls...!

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 am

Just being picky here! The Report referenced above clearly confirms that the Pilot had no indication of a fault prior to breaking into the circuit on RTB Yeovilton. Therefore the reasonable assumption is that the near simultaneous failure of both the Green & Red system occurred during the direct transit from Duxford to Yeovilton. There was NO change of intentions in routing via Cosford as in hindsight that would have happened before the IFE was discovered? Therefore we can be be 99.9% sure that any visit to Cosford was just wishful thinking, speculative rumour or just plain Bulls**t ! Just sayin' :whistle:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm

Totally loved the Sea Vixen when she was in the Red Bull Livery, saw it a couple of times at East Fortune, sorry to hear this news. Would love to see the Sea Hawk display.

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:51 pm

Unknown74 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm
Totally loved the Sea Vixen when she was in the Red Bull Livery, saw it a couple of times at East Fortune, sorry to hear this news. Would love to see the Sea Hawk display.
I also enjoyed the Sea Vixen in its various post-retirement schemes. Went to Swansea for the RAE Llanbedr delivery flight (Red/Yellow drone scheme) into private ownership by OC Flying Sepp Pauli. Personally I liked the Red Bull colour scheme but more particularly the deep pockets, assured maintenance & extra public displays that came with the sponsorship package! I saw the jet display at many locations, close to its home at Bournemouth, Biggin Hill, Shoreham & way over in Zeltweg (Austria) close to Red Bull's main operating base.
The lack of operating hours that came after the repaint whilst with Drilling Systems (following R B's sponsorship ending) & upon transfer to what became Navy Wings was understandable due to the costs involved & other projects. However, I realise that as with less expensive/detrimental failures in old Classic cars just sitting around with minimal working of all systems can develop unseen problems. IIRC there had been some 'recent' historic issues with failing hydraulic pumps on the flap operating system that scuppered the Channel Islands air-show attendance one year? Also a shame it never made it to RIAT Fairford, except for that pathetic single pass in that Naval Pageant thingy!
Last time I saw the Sea Hawk fly was at a Dunsfold air-show, it's a super jet but never gonna rival a Vixen flying! :(

razor23uk

Post by razor23uk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:06 am

Was this the same aircraft that was in storage at Swansea airport for a few years? I do remember seeing a Vixen there, as Supra mentioned, in the red/Yellow scheme . It was an open day or something (long tome ago!) and I remember being told by a guy who worked there that they were hoping to restore it to flight...we both had a chuckle at the notion!
Scanning daily. 3500xlt with antenna 90ft up a silo.

Supra

Post by Supra » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:13 pm

I found this whilst trawling for the accurate info' relating to the initial delivery I attended.
"G-CVIX Ex-Royal Navy Hawker Siddeley Sea Vixen FAW.2/ ex-RAE Llanbedr D.3 aircraft XP924 "Foxy Lady" on arrival at Swansea Airport on 2nd August 1996.
Flown in from RAE Llanbedr by Major Sepp Pauli for the new owners De Havilland Aviation (DHA) the aircraft eventually gained a CAA permit to fly as a civil aircraft and continues to display at airshows in the UK (at June 2014) in it's former Fleet Air Arm grey/white colour scheme and 899 NAS markings.
"

This detail above was appended to a photo by Paul Winsor & doesn't accurately respect the actual timeline IMO. The transfer to DHA at Bournemouth Airport occurred c.1999? The initial recipient at Swansea was a private person whose name was David Gwyn Jones IIRC? I can't find anything written about this history as most everything on the internet is a 'copy-paste' of the alleged story! Either way, there is a gap of around 3 years when you could well have seen this Sea Vixen in the D3 Red/Yellow scheme at Swansea. I'm also unclear as to whether the new Owner had any connection with Gower Jets Ltd which subsequently refurbished ex. military jets at Swansea? Both GJL & DHA are de-registered on Companies House.
FYI....Credit to 'Planeslides.com' :thumb:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/ ... 1491819425
Edit... Found this 'official' record which IMO is NOT correct? Any additions /correction most welcome. :S
XP924 Royal Air Force........ 16.10.63
G-CVIX De Havilland Aviation Ltd 26.02.96
G-CVIX David Gwyn Jones.... 09.01.06
G-CVIX Drilling Systems Ltd.. 18.04.06
G-CVIX DS Aviation (UK) Ltd.. 05.07.13
G-CVIX Julian Jones........... 07.03.14
G-CVIX Naval Aviation Ltd.... 01.12.14

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”