Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
JonathanSchirmeister

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by JonathanSchirmeister » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:04 pm

read it, really liked it

114PM

Post by 114PM » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:07 am

Hello,

I have a question about the following books:

1) From Jet Provost to Strikemaster, David Watkins
2) The Jet Provost, Martyn Chorlton

I am especially interested in the Strikemaster and have the following somewhat older book:

"Jet Provost: The Little Plane with the Big History" by Bob Clarke

My question now:

Is it worth to buy one or both of the newer books, regarding new and/or more informations about the Strikemaster?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards
Marcus

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Curse of the Nuclear Cloud Fliers - Joe Pasquini A veteran pilot's very compelling account of flying Canberras with 76Sqn, during the Operation Grapple H Bomb tests off Christmas Island in the late 1950's. He describes his task of flying through the nuclear cloud to take air samples and years later the consequential effect on his health. And he also exposes the shockingly contemptable attitude of the MOD towards the many service men (guinea pigs) who were drafted in for the tests.
Last edited by roughcutter on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Apologies for the slightly commercial nature of this post. Mods please feel free to delete if it breaches any rules. However, it is relevant to BPAG (see below) and all profits are going to charity- Captain Tom Foundation and BOB Memorial Trust have already received donations from pre-orders and SSAFA are next in line.

Our friend and associate Dave Gledhill is the author of a new publication ‘Groundcrew Boys’ which details the engineering efforts of the unsung heroes of the Cold War, the hard working technicians of the UK’s armed forces who kept the RAF and FAA aircraft aloft during a tense time in world history. The book also includes a chapter detailing some of the BPAG’s work to extract XV582 ‘Black Mike’ from RAF Leuchars in 2016/17.

Published by Grub Street Publishing on 30th June. More details here- https://grubstreet.co.uk/product/groundcrew-boys

Web- https://bpag.co.uk
Facebook/Twitter- BPAGofficial

Fibrous Freddie

Post by Fibrous Freddie » Sat May 22, 2021 11:13 am

My Secret War
Richard S Drury
Flying A1's in Laos/Vietnam... a different view of the war from that of the fast jets, but similar views on management/organisation. A good read for a couple of evenings.
Seemed hard to source cheaply; I got a copy second-hand from the USA for less than £6.50 inc. postage.

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:56 am

The official launch of 'Groundcrew Boys' is now confirmed as being at Newark Air Museum on 3rd July, as part of the Aeroboot event. Come along and meet the authors and grab yourself a signed copy. More details here- http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Aeroboot ... Guide_2021
BPAG wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm
Apologies for the slightly commercial nature of this post. Mods please feel free to delete if it breaches any rules. However, it is relevant to BPAG (see below) and all profits are going to charity- Captain Tom Foundation and BOB Memorial Trust have already received donations from pre-orders and SSAFA are next in line.

Our friend and associate Dave Gledhill is the author of a new publication ‘Groundcrew Boys’ which details the engineering efforts of the unsung heroes of the Cold War, the hard working technicians of the UK’s armed forces who kept the RAF and FAA aircraft aloft during a tense time in world history. The book also includes a chapter detailing some of the BPAG’s work to extract XV582 ‘Black Mike’ from RAF Leuchars in 2016/17.

Published by Grub Street Publishing on 30th June. More details here- https://grubstreet.co.uk/product/groundcrew-boys

Web- https://bpag.co.uk
Facebook/Twitter- BPAGofficial

quid21

Post by quid21 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 am

Tornado by John Nichol is a good read https://www.amazon.co.uk/TORNADO-HA/dp/1471180522

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Just (luckily) managed to land a copy of North American B-45 Tornado by Geoffrey Hays. It's been murder trying to get this one as it keeps selling out. Looks very promising.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:52 am

😷
“THE CREW” by David Price

A moving tribute to the sacrifice and bravery of the fliers of RAF Bomber Command.
The Crew, based on interviews with Ken Cook, the crew's sole surviving member, recounts the wartime exploits of the members of an Avro Lancaster crew between 1942 and the war's end. Gloucestershire-born bomb aimer Ken Cook, hard-bitten Australian pilot Jim Comans, Navigator Don Bowes, Upper Gunner George Widdis, Tail Gunner 'Jock' Bolland, Flight Engineer Ken Randle and Radio Operator Roy Woollford were seven ordinary young men living in extraordinary times, risking their lives in freedom's cause in the dark skies above Hitler's Reich.
From their earliest beginnings in places as far apart as a Cotswold village and the suburbs of Sydney through the adventure of training in North America and the dread and danger of the forty-five bombing raids they flew with 97 Squadron, David Price describes the crew's wartime experiences with human sympathy allied to a secure technical understanding of one of the RAF's most iconic aircraft. The drama and anxiety of individual missions to Kassel, Munich and Augsburg as well as Berlin is evoked with thrilling immediacy; while the military events and strategic decisions that drove the RAF's area bombing campaign against Nazi Germany are interwoven deftly with the narrative of the crew's operational careers.

Lots of background of the stations and history of a crew that started as airmen and progressed to Pathfinders
Stay safe
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:28 am

There is a couple of books here I've written, originally as 'in-house' only publications for the air & ground crews. Admins, please remove if not appropriate.

'Royal Navy Aggressors-736 Naval Air Squadron';
With the Hawk T.1 soon to be a distant memory, this little book I put together using an article I'd written for Airforces Monthly, as well as extra words giving a fuller background of the Hawk with FRADU. I spent about 18 months with the squadron during the change from FRADU to 736, both at Yeovilton & Culdrose, and there is almost 100 photographs.
https://www.blurb.co.uk/b/5861273

'Commando Helicopter Force-Clockwork 2014 & Junglie Merlin Transition';
This second book again was putting together two article I'd written, one for AFM and one for Aviation News. Again with expanded history. This book covers exercise Clockwork in Norway, and I visited Bardufoss back in March 2014 when the Sea King HC.4 made its last trip to Norway, alongside the Merlin HC.3 of the then owners, 28 (AC) Sqn RAF. The book also follows the first year or so of the Merlin in RN CHF service and includes the return of 846 Naval Air Squadron to Yeovilton as well as reports from exercises in America and aboard HMS Ocean. This also has around 100 photographs.
https://www.blurb.co.uk/b/8939435

My Sea Vixen XP924 book is available from Navy Wings website here; https://shop.navywings.org.uk/products/ ... sKEALw_wcB

Thanks for looking and I hope these might be of some interest.
'its a lot less bover in the hover'

moonstone_laura

Post by moonstone_laura » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:09 pm

I’ve just finished Osprey Combat Aircraft #49: IRANIAN F-14 TOMCAT UNITS IN COMBAT by Tom Cooper & Farzad Bishop. Over the last few years I’ve read quite a few of these Osprey titles; some are better than others but, I have to be honest, and say that this is one of the best ones I’ve come across. It’s quite a gripping read and makes a mockery of those western sources who claimed that the air campaign during the Iran-Iraq War was neither ‘intensive’ nor ‘interesting’ nor the US Navy’s belief that the IRIAF could still even deploy the F-14s bought during the Shah’s tenure. Well, they could! Yes, it was a struggle and by the end of the war the spare parts shortage was so chronic that only a handful of aircraft were serviceable. But, in the final analysis, the Tomcats and their Iranian pilots performed brilliantly, claiming over 130 aerial kills. Great book!

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon May 02, 2022 10:45 am

US Navy Squadron Histories; From Bats to Rangers, Pictorial History of Electronic Counter Measures Squadron 2 (Ecmron-2)/Fleet Air Recconaisance Squadron 2 (VQ-2) by Angelo Romano.
A very interesting and tempting title to read, but I'm put off by the price tag (£60+). Has anyone on the forum read this publication, is it worth the expense?

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Mon May 02, 2022 3:19 pm

In the dim and distant past my local library used to get me books from Norwich Library where the 8th Air Force Collection was based (forgive me if it was the wrong name, it was 30+ years ago).
They had an amazing collection of rare titles, I use the past tense because Norwich Library famously had a BIG fire and much of it was lost.
However I just had a quick Google and found this

https://www.americanlibrary.uk/

I know nothing about it but it appears to be something that’s risen from the ashes of the earlier collection. Good luck.

Fibrous Freddie

Post by Fibrous Freddie » Sat May 14, 2022 2:39 pm

gyvespa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:19 pm
In the dim and distant past my local library used to get me books from Norwich Library where the 8th Air Force Collection was based (forgive me if it was the wrong name, it was 30+ years ago).
They had an amazing collection of rare titles, I use the past tense because Norwich Library famously had a BIG fire and much of it was lost.
However I just had a quick Google and found this

https://www.americanlibrary.uk/

I know nothing about it but it appears to be something that’s risen from the ashes of the earlier collection. Good luck.
Yes, the USAAF section of the old library was fantastic... Some truly fabulous literature and records amongst the memorials. The 1994? fire was a very sad event on Esperanto Way (I think now Will Kemp Way)!

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Tue May 17, 2022 4:33 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:45 am
US Navy Squadron Histories; From Bats to Rangers, Pictorial History of Electronic Counter Measures Squadron 2 (Ecmron-2)/Fleet Air Recconaisance Squadron 2 (VQ-2) by Angelo Romano.
A very interesting and tempting title to read, but I'm put off by the price tag (£60+). Has anyone on the forum read this publication, is it worth the expense?
Got this off eBay for less than the £60 quoted, am half way through it’s excellent, lots of rare photos and access to official Navy records. A must for anyone interested in this subject.
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Thu May 19, 2022 4:52 am

xkekeith wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:33 pm
roughcutter wrote:
Got this off eBay for less than the £60 quoted, am half way through it’s excellent, lots of rare photos and access to official Navy records. A must for anyone interested in this subject.
Must say I am very tempted by this book (and quite a few of his other titles), I'll likely succumb in the end. Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am

roughcutter wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:52 am
xkekeith wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:33 pm
roughcutter wrote:
Must say I am very tempted by this book (and quite a few of his other titles), I'll likely succumb in the end. Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

Wow, can't believe it! I've just bagged a (used) copy on Amazon for £32.20 :Wow:

RedBaron68

Post by RedBaron68 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:17 pm

New member to the forum with a serious book buying addiction!
Can I recommend recently published "USAFE Tactical Units in the United Kingdom in the Cold War 1950-1992" by Doug Gordon. A serious work of research with a wealth of images. Great to read about UK bases before my time, Chelveston, Shepherds Grove etc.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:20 pm

RIAT22; After purchasing some patches from 1st ACCS guys, my mate had a very amicable conversation with one of the aircrew members about the E-4B. The guy he spoke to was amazed at his knowledge of the aircraft and was naturally fairly guarded in his answers. However on parting, he (as an aside) tacitly hinted at a publication called "Raven Rock" by Garrett M. Graff. It is available for download on kindle for £9.99, admittedly I haven't read it myself yet, so can't comment. But, straight from the horse's mouth.... ;)

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:51 pm

RedBaron68 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:17 pm
New member to the forum with a serious book buying addiction!
Can I recommend recently published "USAFE Tactical Units in the United Kingdom in the Cold War 1950-1992" by Doug Gordon. A serious work of research with a wealth of images. Great to read about UK bases before my time, Chelveston, Shepherds Grove etc.
Welcome aboard RB68 :thumb:
Yeah, I've invested in a copy of this promising book myself, not read yet, I'm saving it for the long cold nights. I'll tell you what Fonthill Press have an extraordinary selection of titles. Those two Canberra publications look very tempting ;)

https://www.fonthill.media/collections/aviation

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”