Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
roughcutter

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by roughcutter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:02 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:14 pm
This looks to be a very promising book in the pipeline by a great author : https://www.fonthill.media/products/sup ... eing-c-135
Super Snoopers (Bob Archer) is now available on amazon :thumb:

stevedrews

Post by stevedrews » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:11 am

Hi There
What were the years he was at Coltishall on the OCU please ?
Thanks in advance
Steve A

blackhandgang17 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Rate of Climb by Rick Peacock Edwards is a good read dealing with his time on Lightning’s in Germany,instructing on Lightning’s at Coltishall and Gnats at valley as well as Phantoms on 111Sqn and introduction of the Tornado F2/F3 as OC of the OCU and then Station Commander at Leeming before GW1 and Air Attaché tour in Washington and director of Flight Safety

Cost me £14 from the small South American river onlne

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:53 pm

Fighter Pilot:The life of Battle of Britain Ace Bob Doe by Helen Doe (his daughter) is well worth a read. I remember seeing him pop up as a talking head on quite a few BofB documentaries in the early noughties and always thought he came across as a decent, working class matter of fact bloke, and the book backs that up. He also flew both Spitfires and Hurricanes and unlike many, he is very complimentary to both. The book also includes his time running an Indian Airforce squadron In the Burma campaign, something I had not read about before.

Also for those who Like a bit of fiction, but still based around real aviation events, I can highly recommend a series of novels written by Mark Berent, the first being Rolling Thunder. He was a decorated pilot in Vietnam, and not surprisingly his novels are based on 3 main characters, with one being a F-100 pilot (who moves to Phantoms in the later novels), another being a FAC pilot, and the third being a special forces officer. There are not many fiction novels that I read more than once, but I still own all my Mark Berent books, and have just re-read Rolling Thunder for the 3rd time. love it!

Geoff Dreft

Post by Geoff Dreft » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Bob Archer's Super Snoopers should be on everyone's bookshelf. I can't believe Amazon are discounting it so soon after publication.

It is well written, good balance between text and images, professionally produced and steers a confident course between spotting memories and technical jargon, with just enough of each. Having only just acquired "KC-135 - more than a tanker" by Robert Hopkins, I wasn't sure there was much more that could be written about the Boeing classic but I was wrong. I have been reading the author's output since I joined BARG in the early 1970s and this must rate as his best work of all time and judging by the way it is written, he must have enjoyed producing every page.

offsetmil

Post by offsetmil » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:50 pm

""Flying The Line" by Jay Lacklan a series of now four books about first his days as a B52 pilot with SAC then his time as a C5 pilot with the Air National Guard. And as previously mentioned Chickenhawk - certainly read it more than once

Fibrous Freddie

Post by Fibrous Freddie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Challenge in the Air: A Spitfire Pilot Remembers
by M.A. Liskutin

Firebirds! Flying the Typhoon in Action
by Charles Demoulin

Both WW2 and well worth a few hours of your time.

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:06 pm

I finally and just ordered Bob Archer's SUPER SNOOPER directly from the publisher... I have a few *C-135 related books on my bookshelf, including "KC-135... more than just a tanker" (the first and original edition) as well as the C-135 Stratotanker Series by Schiffer Publishing, and am looking forward to Bob Archer's book.

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:43 am

http://flitetime.net/nickel.html Throw a nickel on the grass, save a pilots ass

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 am

Max Hasting's new book on the Dam Buster operation was very enlightening. Called 'Operation Chastise.' It exploded a few myths!!!. Picked it up in paper back form in Sainsburys for £5.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Geoff Dreft wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm
Bob Archer's Super Snoopers should be on everyone's bookshelf. I can't believe Amazon are discounting it so soon after publication.

It is well written, good balance between text and images, professionally produced and steers a confident course between spotting memories and technical jargon, with just enough of each. Having only just acquired "KC-135 - more than a tanker" by Robert Hopkins, I wasn't sure there was much more that could be written about the Boeing classic but I was wrong. I have been reading the author's output since I joined BARG in the early 1970s and this must rate as his best work of all time and judging by the way it is written, he must have enjoyed producing every page.
Now on Kindle £16.99 :thumb:

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:03 pm

SUPER SNOOPER just arrived today and I won't mind a rainy weekend now :thumbs:
I don't do that Kindle stuff... I need the feel and smell of a book... buying straight from the publisher was considerably cheaper than buying it from the big south American river.

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:49 am

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of Steve Hill’s Good Old Days Vol. 2? I saw it on bookshop stalls at both RIAT and Legends last year, but can’t recall who the sellers were. You can buy direct from Blurb but it seems to be about £20 more than I recall seeing it for with these sellers last year. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Dan

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:39 am

DanBeeden wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:49 am
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of Steve Hill’s Good Old Days Vol. 2? I saw it on bookshop stalls at both RIAT and Legends last year, but can’t recall who the sellers were. You can buy direct from Blurb but it seems to be about £20 more than I recall seeing it for with these sellers last year. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Dan
Email sent :thumb:

Cheers

Paul :thumb:

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am

Just picked up Buccaneer - Haynes Workshop Manual for £5 (reduced from £7!) at The Works (Widnes) ;)

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:54 pm

"An Officer not a Gentleman" The inspirational journey of a female fighter pilot ( Tucano, Hawk Tornado GR 4 ) + Boscombe Down Testing.
by Mandy Hickson lots of setbacks but eventually achieves her aim to fly jets in The RAF. Printed in Great Britain by Amazon £9.99p

https://www.aircrewinterview.tv/#/mandyhickson-part1/ Here is the author, herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsPg2LcndpE Part2.

airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Post by airfixpilot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:52 am

Morning Guys.
I am in the process of collecting volumes of avation books/magazines. I have now collected the full set of World Airpower Journal, and finishing it off with the one off books by aerospace publishing.

I now have secured all volumes of Take Off Magazine in binders, with thanks to a FC member, Tim. I am now looking to collect International Airpower Review by airtime publishing, but before I start , I would like to know how many volumes were issued?. If anyone has a copy/full set please let Me know.

I have just now put a post on the Wanted / Sales post, for International Airpower Review.

Thanks for reading
Airfixpilot, David :pop:
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Just finished reading " A Higher Call ". I like to read personal accounts from people who have been involved in conflicts. The book tells the story of a luftwaffe ace and a B-17 pilot who had an unusual meeting over Germany which affected them for the rest of their lives. Also gives a insight into how much the luftwaffe despised the Nazis, something I wasn't aware of.

Sid.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Sid-104 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:41 pm
Just finished reading " A Higher Call ". I like to read personal accounts from people who have been involved in conflicts. The book tells the story of a luftwaffe ace and a B-17 pilot who had an unusual meeting over Germany which affected them for the rest of their lives. Also gives a insight into how much the luftwaffe despised the Nazis, something I wasn't aware of.

Sid.
Read it myself, good book :thumb:

tornado17

Post by tornado17 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:33 am

RAF Aircraft of the Cold War 1970-1990 Air to Air Images by Tony Paxton.

Published by Key Publishing at £17.99. Subscribers to Combat Aircraft, Air Forces Monthly or Aviation News receive a £2 discount.

Those of us of a certain age will know the name of Tony Paxton. Well known for his images during his time as an RAF frontline fighter pilot. This book is an easy and enjoyable read. It is an historical pictorial rather than a reference to his time in the RAF. It has a text at the beginning of each chapter giving a brief history of that subject and has 128 pages with lots of images, all colour with many full page, of the halcyon days of multiple different airctaft types. I read the book from front to back in a couple of hours but have also looked through it muliple times, brings back memories of the 'good ol' days' and my time in the RAF!!

markranger

Post by markranger » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:51 am

roughcutter wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Sid-104 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Sid.
Read it myself, good book :thumb:
Its a superb read.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”