Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Airfix 2022 Releases

For general modelling chat and discussion.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

reaper493

Airfix 2022 Releases

Post by reaper493 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 pm

Highlight is by far the re tooled 1/48 Bucc, but there are some nice bits on there.

https://uk.airfix.com/shop/new-range-20 ... y=8&page=1

Buccaneer, Victor and Sabre will be on my list.

Mike

Sparts99

Re: Airfix 2022 Releases

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm

I would say the Buccaneer but at that price I don't think so.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm

Blimey Charlie! :Wow:

They're not exactly cheap, are they? :whistle:

I must have given Airfix a small fortune in my younger days, my favourite build of all was their 1/72nd RAF C-130K when it first came out - it took ages to get the white area above the cockpit exactly right!
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Their prices are certainly on the up, but the cost of that Buccaneer is less than the going rate for the original on eBay.
I'm sure some places will have it cheaper.

seven

Post by seven » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Unfortunately due to costs involved in producing kits the prices are skyrocketing, then comes the shipping.. And its only going to get worse. Its all well and good waiting for the price to drop, or looking for the cheapest price, but that doesn't pay the shops bills. And with companies like Hornby doing nothing to support the shopfront businesses, before long the are going to be no more.
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:47 am

Cripes :Wow:

When I bought my first Airfix kit (1/72 SR53 in white) prices were:
Series 1; 2/-
Series 2; 3/-
Series 3; 4/6
Series 4; 6/-
Series 5; 7/6
Series 6; 10/6

Just call me Methuselah :lol:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:59 am

I remember being able to pick one up for 2.99 (eg the F-5) from the GT news or Costcutter down the road...

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:18 am

Costs are rising hugely!!. I build 1/144 Airliners [I know, sad isn't} Recently built an Airbus 350/100 costing £28 pounds 6 months ago. Recently bought a Boeing 747 SP in the same scale for £100 pounds!!!!! To compound my horror, it's one of the worst kits I have built [Russian firm Eastern Express.] :(

seven

Post by seven » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:25 pm

In all fairness, Eastern Express have long been known for questionable(putting it lightly) quality. But they have MASSIVELY upped their game of late, and I'd go as far as saying they are probably the leading manufacturer of modern kits of airliners. But you have to do your research before buying! And yes the costs from them are high, I have 2 of the Saudi 747SP's. I just can't work out how you get a 1/144 747 in a box the same size as an Airfix Me-262! The Zvezda A350 you mention is a lovely kit, and are priced well, but be warned they too are going up shortly!
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:31 pm

I can understand Airfix making the back-catalogue work for the company in the form of new toolings, especially in what are very challenging times, but I do worry that the company is treading water and will (if it hasn't already) earn a 'same old, same old' reputation. It seems to me that they've been looking at what subjects attract strong prices on eBay auctions, e.g. Anson, Beaver, Buccaneer and Whirlwind, and have decided to 'upgrade' those subjects. That's all vey well, and I wish the company well re. sales in 2022, but to me this retro strategy stifles originality by playing safe with the familiar. I'll be a happy bunny when Airfix starts to look forward with some all-new subject matter - how about a 1/72 Avro Manchester, 1/48 Fairey Firefly and 1/24 EE Lightning for starters? Probably just wishful thinking...

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:15 pm

Called in at Hannants yesterday whilst finishing a Dancing week-end on the East Coast.. On entering the office there, behold, a delightful sight that you military guys will love.] The girls were packing 1/72 R.A.F Transport Command Comet 3/4's into boxes. Kit by Mach 1. Used not to be the best, but looking into the transparent packaging they looked absolutely terrific. I didn't inquire the price tho'........ A hell of a kit of a beautiful aircraft!!!. I envy you building those!!.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:29 pm

mustang5861 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:31 pm
I can understand Airfix making the back-catalogue work for the company in the form of new toolings, especially in what are very challenging times, but I do worry that the company is treading water and will (if it hasn't already) earn a 'same old, same old' reputation. It seems to me that they've been looking at what subjects attract strong prices on eBay auctions, e.g. Anson, Beaver, Buccaneer and Whirlwind, and have decided to 'upgrade' those subjects. That's all vey well, and I wish the company well re. sales in 2022, but to me this retro strategy stifles originality by playing safe with the familiar. I'll be a happy bunny when Airfix starts to look forward with some all-new subject matter - how about a 1/72 Avro Manchester, 1/48 Fairey Firefly and 1/24 EE Lightning for starters? Probably just wishful thinking...
Please accept my apologies if i have misunderstood you good buddy, but i am not sure you have a proper handle on the releases this year.

I think the 'same old, same old' reputation you talk of is part of what has got the whole Hornby group to where they are and i think there are people there who are now trying to find a new balance for a better way forward, and to make money.

I think Airfix have proper nailed it this year with their new tools, and you are right that in the case of the 1/48th Buccaneer that im sure prices the old and worn out kit is making, matched to wish list research has told them its time for a New Tool. To me, a New Tool 1/48th Anson is a bit of a gamble, and while im one where this is not my scale, im gonna have one if the detail lives up to what is shown in the CAD pictures, so maybe they will be onto a winner if there are others like myself. With the 1/48th F-86F-40 Sabre, the RAF Sabre must have sold well, and it may be possible with the roar of "what the world needs is a slat winged Sabre" when that came out that Airfix are about to try to see if that is true.

With all the money that goes on R&D these days, there has to be a balance between making an entirely New Tool(Anson), retiring old moulds with New Tools(Buccaneer) and making a wee bit more from their stash of Old Tool moulds sitting in storage, and to me, they are doing the right thing with the Vintage range by cleaning things up and hopefully making a wee bit of money from some golden oldies, like the Beaver and P-80 i will buy, and the Whirlwind that has a strong following elsewhere.

As long as they keep hitting the right spots with their releases, Airfix im sure will keep churning out the New Tools we all desire, and i want a Jaguar, Tornado GR and F, but i have doubts you will see a Manchester, but i hope i am wrong. For your Firefly, i will raise you an Albacore and think with the Airfix design team frequenting Yeovilton, they will come, but we need to be buying what they supply just now to fund it all.
Stay Safe,
Geoff.

Return to “Modelling Community”