Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Paint help please

Any questions on modelling techniques? Post your query here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

Discodaz

Paint help please

Post by Discodaz » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:26 pm

Hi guys. Looking for paint advice if possible.
I have done many model kits over the years but tbh mostly revell kits as I have a bit of a soft spot for them.
I've always airbrushed with enamels but feel I need to make the transition to acrylics.
Now, my query is, I have recently bought a italeri a10 blacksnakes kit. It's my first ever italeri kit so I'm totally unfamiliar with their paints.
I obviously have the paint codes needed in the instructions but I have never seen italeri paints for sale other than on the Internet.
So.. Do I convert them to another brand if so where can I get italeri conversion charts.
What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance
Daz

Nighthawke

Re: Paint help please

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:37 pm

I am not a modeller but I did just Google "Italeri conversion chart" and several links come up to choose from.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:39 pm

First of all I doubt that the Italeri paints are matched to the Federal Standards colours you need ... probably more “close enough “

For acrylic (I brush paint) I use Humbrol and Xtracrylic from Hannants; both probably easier to get than Italeri. I also must admit I am not a fan of the Revell paints, except basic colours like black,white, red, yellow etc.

If you need exact colours check on Britmodeller.

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:10 pm

thanks for your help guys..

I'm not wanting an absolute perfect colour match, the colours specified in the instructions are good enough for me.

i spent an hour earlier converting them to Tamia colour as these are readily available locally. all sourced and purchased today :thumb: well, with the exception of olive drab.

Daz

raffaroo

Post by raffaroo » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi Daz,
there is also an app called 'Hobby Color Converter' which you can look at any paint brand that you want and you pick any colour and it will give you the nearest colours to the shade that you want, hope this helps :thumb:
"I love the sound of NAPALM in the morning"

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:46 pm

raffaroo wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:52 pm
Hi Daz,
there is also an app called 'Hobby Color Converter' which you can look at any paint brand that you want and you pick any colour and it will give you the nearest colours to the shade that you want, hope this helps :thumb:
That's really helpful raffaroo, and thank you. I will download it :thumbs:

Daz

raffaroo

Post by raffaroo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:04 pm

no worries buddy :thumb:
"I love the sound of NAPALM in the morning"

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm

Discodaz wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:10 pm

I'm not wanting an absolute perfect colour match, the colours specified in the instructions are good enough for me.

i spent an hour earlier converting them to Tamia colour as these are readily available locally. all sourced and purchased today :thumb: well, with the exception of olive drab.

Daz
Daz,
I airbrush with acrylics and have a good selection of Tamiya, but before my mojo got kicked into touch last year, i started using Hataka and cannot fault them at all. I think Seamus who put up his 2021 selection on here uses one version of Hataka (i use red labeled and Seamus Orange maybe?) and you just have to look there to see what can be achieved.

Just in case you didnt know, Tamiya work best with their own thinner as they are lacquer based acrylics rather than true water based acrylics.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 pm

ArabJazzie wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm
Discodaz wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Daz
Daz,
I airbrush with acrylics and have a good selection of Tamiya, but before my mojo got kicked into touch last year, i started using Hataka and cannot fault them at all. I think Seamus who put up his 2021 selection on here uses one version of Hataka (i use red labeled and Seamus Orange maybe?) and you just have to look there to see what can be achieved.

Just in case you didnt know, Tamiya work best with their own thinner as they are lacquer based acrylics rather than true water based acrylics.
Arabest,
Geoff.
i didnt know but thank you for your help geoff. i used the app that rafaroo suggested and as a result am using various brands to try to get the best match to the originals as possible. vallejo seems to be the better match for the italleri paints so far although the two main body colours look way off what google images of the same plane appear to be. ie, flat medium grey seems too dark and gull grey seems too light.
all i can do is trust the manufacturers guide and go for it.as i said,im not looking for perfection.

daz

Return to “Technical - Tools and Tips/Walkrounds”