Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

MacRobert's Reply decals?

Any questions on modelling techniques? Post your query here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

CosmonautX

MacRobert's Reply decals?

Post by CosmonautX » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi, all

I recently picked up the 1/72 Revell Tornado GR.1 kit as a reintroduction to modelling. I'm thinking about converting it to a GR.4, and I'd like to build it up as the current MacRobert's Reply, ZA602. Before I start down that route though, I wondered if anyone knows if there are any decal sets including the XV tail lettering and tartan strip available or if I'd have to look at doing something custom myself.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Unknown74

Re: MacRobert's Reply decals?

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:55 pm

I had initially thought about the MacRoberts Reply Scheme but when I couldn't find it I decided on the Dambusters 70th Anniversary Scheme.

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 pm

That's a nice scheme too. I'm quite keen on doing the Reply scheme, so if I can't find anything suitable I'll be considering whether I can make a custom decal set myself or whether I can paint something appropriate. If that doesn't look like a goer, then I'll have a hunt through alternate schemes. Cheers!

TS010

Post by TS010 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 am

The only decals I have seen for MacRoberts Reply in GR4 form is the now out of print Mark One Guide decal sheet which included markings for 12 Tornado's including the one you are after. Hannants have Modeldecal sheet MD075 which has a 15 Sqn GR1 MacRoberts Reply from 1984 at Laarbruch.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD075

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:31 pm

TS010 wrote:The only decals I have seen for MacRoberts Reply in GR4 form is the now out of print Mark One Guide decal sheet which included markings for 12 Tornado's including the one you are after. Hannants have Modeldecal sheet MD075 which has a 15 Sqn GR1 MacRoberts Reply from 1984 at Laarbruch.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD075
Thanks for that. I had a nosy and I found the set I think you're referring to - the Mark I "Dozen" set - but as you say, it looks to be long out-of-print and I suspect trying to find a copy will be a challenge. Certainly looks as though it will have to be a custom job then, so I'll have to see if my (very rusty!) abilities are up to that. It will also likely mean at least a few trips to Lossie to get some reference photos of the jet itself, but that's no hardship... :)

billyboy

Post by billyboy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi There
I have the Mark One 1/72 Tornado decals there yours if you send me your address I will pop them in the post for you.

Kind Regards

Craig

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:20 pm

billyboy wrote:Hi There
I have the Mark One 1/72 Tornado decals there yours if you send me your address I will pop them in the post for you.

Kind Regards

Craig
Hi, Craig

That's brilliant, thanks! I'll send you a PM in the morning (off for dinner just now!) with my details. Much appreciated!

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:58 am

Well, thanks to Craig it looks like I'll be making ZA559 in the MacRobert's Reply scheme now. It will likely be a slow build, but hopefully I'll have something to share at FC later in the year. Thanks again for the decals, and for the reference images!

Return to “Technical - Tools and Tips/Walkrounds”