Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Die Cast Collections - Post yours here.

An area to show all your in progress models.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

tc2324

Re: Die Cast Collections - Post yours here.

Post by tc2324 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Unknown74 wrote:Has anybody got any collections of the Corgi Fit The Box Aircraft or Matchbox Skybusters along with others in that size? These are the size I've had to resort to collecting due to financial and space reasons - am really pleased with my collection which I am sorting out into an Air Force and Airline. Would really love to know if Corgi or Matchbox or any one else are planning to release a Nimrod MR.2 from Kinloss, TSR.2 or Hawker Hunter in that small size?
As a 1/72 diecast collector I can`t really help answer your question. :( However if you go to DAF there are plenty of people on there that can help.... ;)

http://forums.diecast-aviation.eu/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:49 pm

I had the chance to play around with the metal and Photobucket today and thought I`d post the results for your entertainment..... :D

Cold War Defenders

Eastern Front 1945

Spitfire Summer

Berlin, here we come......

Tiger, Tiger!

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 am

Those pictures are great,

Thanks for sharing them :thumb:

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Two bits of metal landed at my door today. Both are from Hobbymaster, a SEAC Skyraider and the new mould F-22 Raptor. :thumbs:

The Skyraider has a problem. During construction it seems the glue they used at the factory has `fogged` up the front windscreen. This has happened to all the models, and at a guess, it would be far too expensive for HM to recall all the shipments. HM have a great reputation with their diecast so you can`t really complain.

So tonight I got a small brush and some standard model thinner and cleared it all up..... ;)

Before......

After......

Turned out well in the end......

No problems with the Raptor though... :thumb:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Four new additions landed at my doorstep today. :thumb:

The new GA Spitfire, (furthest from camera), next to the old version. Notice that they have improved the `green` from the earlier release.

New Corgi FW 190, (nearest camera), with an old`ish Dragon release for comparison.

New Corgi Army Lynx. Navy version is on the way soon.

And last but not least, the new Corgi F.6 Lightning in 74 Sqn markings with an old F.1 version to the rear.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:17 am

Two more additions arrived today, a Canberra and Me 262B. A certain diecast retailer was holding a 50% off sale, so these were impulse purchases. I have always held off from getting a Corgi Canberra due to the fact that they are `tail sitters` and I was hopeing that `The Hound` might release a PR.9 version at some point, but alas, it might be a very long wait. So when this model popped up at £26, I bit the bullet and got it. Another hole in my collection filled. The Me 262B was £18 and a bit of a bargain and too good to pass up. Both have good limited edition numbers, ie, not many made, so I`m pretty pleased all round.

The wifes eyes rolled skyward when these arrived, but the promise of a slap up meal to celebrate my new job tonight should make her forget the six bits of metal that turned up this week...!

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:47 am

I thought I`d get to that particular job I had been putting off for a while, reorganising my display shelves.... :whistle:

Space was reaching breaking point, so a lot of thought had to go into squeezing as much room out of my shelves as possible. While I managed to empty a shelf ready for that ever important pre-order release list , the down side is that the rest of the shelves are pretty compact. :roll: My display now reminds me of the main display hangar at Duxford.... :lol:

RAF Bomber Command

WW2 SEAC (with the odd Ruskie)

RAF 50`s to the Noughties

WW2 USN and RN

RAF Fighter Command 1940`s

RAF/RN/AAC - Falklands, 91 Gulf War and Afganistan 2003

Korea and Vietnam

Luftwaffe 1940`s

USAAC/USAF WW2

Cold War

USN 1950`s to Today

And lastly, my 74 shelves with diecast at the bottom and 74 `what if`s` on top...:D

Tiger, Tiger!

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 am

Superb mate!!! :thumb: :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Flyingmonster wrote:Superb mate!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers Jamie.

Had a couple of Skymax models turn up today. First the latest release of the Bearcat. Very nice scheme and why I waited to get this one.

And next I caught up with the first release of the F-84 Thnderjet. Mainly due to the fact I waited for the price to drop before I got it.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Latest addition came through today. Here are some pics and close ups of the artwork on the new Corgi C-47.

Tiger, Tiger!

benyboy

Post by benyboy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 am

The collection is looking realy good :thumb:
You must have spent some brass but well worth it I`m sure :D

Ben

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 pm

benyboy wrote: You must have spent some brass but well worth it I`m sure :D
Ben, you have no idea.... :lol:

Problem is, `er indoors` also knows the rough value, so I always get the cat to sample my food everyday.... :lol:

Off to RIAT on sunday so will no doubt came back with something else... :roll:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:08 pm

tc2324 wrote:
Off to RIAT on sunday so will no doubt came back with something else... :roll:
And I did..... :roll:

Not known as the best bit of diecast from Corgi, mind you, at £10 it`s a bit of a bargin and fills yet another hole in my collection.... :thumb:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:46 pm

`Code 3` Hawk.

Been looking forward to this arriving from Tiger Hobbies.:) Number 14 or 25 and a great gap filler for my 74 Sqn collection.:) Very pleased with the result and really looking forward to the next `code 3` project.;)

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Returning to my `first love` and having a break from `whiffing`, today I had a delivery of metal. :thumbs: One is a release from a few months ago and the other is a release from a week or so ago. (My supplier is saving my orders up to save on P+P... :whistle: ;) :thumb: )

First up is the Hobbymaster 74 Sqn F-4J(UK). This really is a nice piece and really shows up how outdated the Corgi version is. (If I get time tomorrow I may have a go at a comparision report... :whistle:)
My 74 Sqn collection continues to grow....!!

Second is the new release of the Spitfire Mk1 as delivered to 19 Sqn RAF in 1939. Corgi have improved their models in recent years IMPO with some nice bits of detail. On this particular model they have included the protrusion of two of the .303 MG`s on the leading edges of the wing which was a feature of this mark. It`s a nice touch and shows that they are working at getting their act together and listening to the collectors when researching their models prior to production. :thumb:

Anyway, on with the pics...... :pop:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Ok, got round to taking a few pics of the Corgi and Hobbymaster F-4`s representing 74 Sqn so I can show you how far Diecast has come in the last 12 years or so.

First pic up is of both the models together with the Corgi version at the rear. First thing that strikes you is the difference in colour schemes. However IIRC the Corgi version is supposed to represent the colour scheme that 74`s F-4`s were delivered in. Apparently the yanks couldn`t mix the paint correctly to that specified by the RAF and they were collected in this semi duck egg blue colour. Corgi have captured that colour very well. The Hobbymaster version is of the aircraft in the correct colour scheme after being flown back to blighty and visiting the paintshop at Wattisham for a repaint.

Next two shot are of the cockpit areas. As you can see from the first picture, being the Corgi version, the detail is very sparce in both metal and decals. The weapons on the Hobbymaster model are superior and also notice that the DECM`s on the intakes are the correct size on the Hobbymaster version.

Next up is the tail section. The Corgi version in the first picture is again sparce in detail with aerials missing, fuel dump vain missing and detail in the airframe itself.

Having said all this, you have to remember that the Corgi version is at least 9 years older than the Hobbymaster version and for many years was the only `party in town` when it came to RAF Phantom squadrons be represented in diecast. I still like my Corgi F-4J(UK) and it will still hold a place in my 74 Sqn collection. :thumb:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks to Mark, (Beer Monster) who kindly gave me a Corgi 74 Sqn Spitfire, I had a crack at doing a bit of a `code 3` on it.

Did a bit of research and thought it might be a nice idea to do a toned down version. In April 1939 Instruction AMO A154/39 decreed that all fighter marking should be toned down and 74 Sqn like most RAF fighter sqn`s started to replace their regular markings with the B Type which were smaller and just the red and blue. Also at that time 74 Sqn carried the `JH` codes and replaced them with the `ZP` codes in September 1939.

So this is how it went and please remember to be gentle with the C+C. It was my first time after all.... :whistle: :blush:

First up was how the original model looked with my `code 3` at the rear after removing the stencils.

Next up was a quick repaint of the dark green. The flash of the camera makes it look a lot lighter than it is.

Next with the new decals applied......,

And then straight into the display cabinet on gas mark 4.... :lol:

Something a bit different and adds a unique scheme to my 74 collection. Hope you liked. ;)

Tiger, Tiger!

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:27 pm

Blimey mate, that was quick! I'm really impressed with it :thumb: ..and I note you've found an aerial mast :lol:
What did you use to get the old decals off?
Formerly Beer Monster

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Beer Monster wrote:Blimey mate, that was quick! I'm really impressed with it :thumb: ..and I note you've found an aerial mast :lol:
What did you use to get the old decals off?
That first sentence sounded just like my wife.... :lol: I`m not happy with the green, :grr: , so I`m working darken it a tad and will re-shoot the model. As for removing the stencils, just used my missus acatone free nail varnish remover and the mast was from the spares box.... :thumb:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Post by tc2324 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Added a matt cote to see if I could get the green to darken and this is the result. Much better I think.:unsure:

Tiger, Tiger!

Return to “Work In Progress”