Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Previous Model Comp Builds - Gallery

Find details on our modelling competitions and how you can join in here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

markmarples

Re: Hawg Heaven???? A-10A Thunderbolt II

Post by markmarples » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:54 pm

i would like to know how you do the weathering with pastels ive never done that

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:13 pm

I'll cover that in the final installment. To be honest the majority of what you see in the pictures has been achieved just with one shade of mig wash!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 pm

jamesv9820 wrote:The aircraft itself is 999% completed as of tonight.
Geez, didn't realise there was so much work in it :lol:

Looking mighty fine there mate, you've done a great job on it and a great build to finish off the year with(unless of course you have something up your sleeve) :thumb:

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 pm

thank you Scott! I do have this strike eagle to complete but i think finishing that in 2010 is too much to ask! Will give it a go. Really enjoyed building this kit. I'M sure if you did one it'd be tonnes better than mine!

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:33 am

Hi Guys,

I think that I am finally there with this kit now, apart from the base board of course! I really have enjoyed building this model and I hope that I have done it justice!

I am trying to retrace my steps since my last review; there is so much involved from getting a model kit to look more realistic and with this final part of the review I hope I can give some pointers and illustrate how I did this.

There are several elements covered here:

• Mig Wash
• Varnish
• Pastels
• Tinting the Front Canopy

We first start with the remainder of the MIG wash on the air frame. I always use their Dark Wash as it is all you really need to get into the recessed panel lines of the air frame. To make the wash work to its full potential and to avoid any problems with the wash staining the paint, you need to ensure the paint on the model is smooth. A couple of coats of gloss varnish over the decals will not only ensure the wash flows freely, but seals the decals. If the surface is not smooth the wash tends to not flow over the surface (through capillary action) but will just sink and soak into the paint (speaking from personal experience!).

To apply the wash, a long thin brush (pointy tip) is idea as it holds a lot of wash in the bristles and you have the control to place it in the smallest of gaps. I do like using the MIG wash as I find it is easily to remove the excess off the surface once dried.

The result of the MIG wash takes the model from this:

To this:

As you can see there is little difference so far but that will soon change with few more processes

At this point the navigation lights were added to the wing tips. Rather than painting the whole clear part, to replicate the bulb inside I used a 0.8mm drill bit and filled the hole inside with Clear Red & Blue (for each wing tip). The result is a lot more subtle effect.

After the wash was added and rubbed back, a couple of coats of Xtracrylics Flat Varnish. This stuff really does work a treat! Once it is dried, the surfaces are rubbed back with a polishing sanding stick to ensure the surface is smooth! I hope you can see the model is starting to look a bit more realistic now.

Some detail of the front cockpit section… The seat was also completed at this point with PE belts and washed in MIG wash

The final element of the process is to pastel the panel lines. For this I use just standard chalk pastels available from any newsagents, art shops etc, and use a standard paint brush. The key with the brush is to chop nearly all the bristles off so there is about 2mm of bristles showing. This is enough to scrap the pastels from the stick and gives maximum control when dry brushing the surface. Before the brush goes anywhere near the surface of the aircraft I always rub the excess off on my hand to to ensure the minimum goes on the airframe. This way you can build your layers up slowly; you will soon find out that once this stuff is on, it is a *** to get off, so just go as carefully as you can!

Once the pastels were added, the final elements of the kit were finally fixed; undercarriage, final weapons etc…. The canopy was also tinted with Johnsons Klear with a few drops of Tamiya Smoke added to the mix to give it a grey tinted appearance. Unfortunately this cannot really be seen in the pictures, but it is there!

I hope you can see from the final results how the model has transformed since the last main update. I have really enjoyed building this one! Hope you like!

Staining around the APU…

Sorry for the amount of pictures!!!!!

deerhunter

Re: Hawg Heaven???? A-10A Thunderbolt II - COMPLETED!

Post by deerhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:46 am

Absolute stunner, :Wow: makes my mediocre efforts look.......................well..............mediocre
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

xl426painter

Post by xl426painter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:06 am

that is lovely thanks for the how to james it gives a different perspective to the model finish simon

http://www.mainlymilitary.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 am

Beautiful build and great finshing to the a/c James one to be proud of :thumbs: .

The only thing I would pick on is the lack of detail on the weapons/stores, an area so often over looked by modellers.

That aside great result

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 am

Cheers guys,

Scott, when you mean detail, are we talking, wash/dry brushing?

Wasnt too sure what to do here to be honest. the decals supplied with the Hobbybobbs kit were not great. Any tips/pointers you can give would be great.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:13 am

It's very unusual to see Ordnance that is the same colour of Green from tip to toe as to speak.

The GBU's for are made up of a standard Mk82/84 free fall bomb with a guidance kit on the front and deployable fin kit on the rear. Therefore they tend to be different shades of Green between the 3 main components, and more commonly seen today are Grey componenets. There is also a Brown section where the front fins are, and this is common to 95% of NATO GBU's.

On the MK 82/84 bomb it's self you will find an identiy stripe which denotes the type of weapon such as Yellow for "Live", Blue for "Inert", Bronze for "Drill"(In a lot of cases the complete bomb unit is Blue on Inert weapons).

The bomb units themselves tend to be stored outside so weather and fade with the sun and rain, where as the guidance/tail units are stored in boxes inside

Here are some links that show the variations .

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusr ... gbu-10.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/smart-bomb-8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusr ... gbu-12.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://attach.high-g.net/attachments/gbu12.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://home.scarlet.be/~jansensa/GBU12.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://images.military.com/EQGpics/EQG_ampaveway_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Scott,

Cheers for the links. Its a bit too late to change it now but something to definately refere to in the future.

ATB for Christmas

Ben Montgomery

Re: Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer - "Update" Two.

Post by Ben Montgomery » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Well - went to get the kit filled the other day, and all my filler is rock hard, which is odd, especially as it's two part epoxy and was fine the other day! :S

As the shops are not open till Tuesday, I doubt I'll get this finished in time :unsure:

However, I'll do my best and get the kit finished, even if it's past the deadline!

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:29 am

Ah sorry to hear its not going to get done on time Ben! But looking forward to the progress! :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

nick197

Post by nick197 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:42 am

Thats looking really good mate :thumb:

MarkG

Re: Zvezda 1/144 TU 160 'Blackjack'

Post by MarkG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:53 pm

I reckon I'll have my Tu-22 finished before we ever see this Blackjack :lol: :lol: :thumb:
Formerly Beer Monster

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Well I've spent a while tonight fillering and sanding the gaps, and its starting to look decent now - although I need to stock up on some finer grade wet and dry in town tomorrow.

Photos to come at some point. :)

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:19 am

Morning all! Iv just finished work and come home to the Internet! :clap: :clap: Here is a couple of shots of the 160 as she sits now! :thumb: I have some progress shots to dig out!

Beer Monster wrote:I reckon I'll have my Tu-22 finished before we ever see this Blackjack :lol: :lol: :thumb:
Beat you!! :P :P :P :lol:

EDIT - Having looked properly you beat me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:14 am

Dude, that is impressive :thumbs:

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Another quick update :thumb: I have added all the shades of paint now :thumb:

What do you think? :unsure:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 pm

looks good mate are you going to make the deadline?

Return to “FC Modelling Competition”