Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Previous Model Comp Builds - Gallery

Find details on our modelling competitions and how you can join in here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

jamesv9820

Re: Hawg Heaven???? A-10A Thunderbolt II

Post by jamesv9820 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 am

Guys,

A quick update as of last night; photos to follow this week:

The main element of the plane is now together; fuselage joined with Aires cockpit completed inside, weighted nose, avionics panel opened up.
The wings are now on (there is a MASSIVE gap int he wing root so careful filler is required here to fill the gaps )

Pics will follow shortly, I do have to say that I am really disappointed with the fit of this kit. It has not been the best and it has fought all the way so far. I am not sure if it is because of the fit of the cockpit inside but then again the wing roots were just as bad. Hope this one can be pulled around and look good in time.

Anyway, work calls, better get a move on!

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a photo update tonight. I am going to try and explain as much as I can here as in the lst week I have not had the camera out to take photos as I go along.

The airframe itself is nearly ready for priming and has been a :grr: to do so far. I am not sure if it is because of the for of the Airies cockpit but the nose just does not seem to fully line up. A bit of cyno-acrylic glue and activator as needed to fuse this into final position and then a little bit of filler needed around the nose to fill the existing gaps. I am not sure what filler all of you guys use but I use the old Squadron Green which is easily sand able after the filler has fully cured. For smaller gaps I use PVA glue and wipe the excess off with my finger. This sets quickly and is also flexible so if you have small gaps, give it a try if you have not already!

This is where we are as of tonight. Not the front canopy is only tacked on for the moment and I will fully sort this out prior to starting the paintwork.

First up.. the Resin avionics bay

This was a dream to install. I have not shown how this was carried out but will endeavour to describe how. The bay itself is actually marked via a panel on the side of the airframe and the resin add on is a little wider than this so you can easily cut the panel out. To do this I used a pin vice and a 1mm drill bit to mark the edges of the panel and then proceeded to drill around the edge of the panel 1mm apart. Once this has been completed you can use your scalpel to remove the excess to remove the rest of the panel. This gives great control than using a scriber or a mini saw and leaves less chance of you ruining the side of your model before you even start! The panel itself has been primed in Tamiya XF-2 (White) and is awaiting a final coat of semi gloss white (In my case Gunze Sanyo H316 Insignia White). A final coat of MIG wash will be added to extenuate the detail that this brings. The photo also shows a snippet of the cockpit wall which has been painted and washed with MIG wash which has brought up the detail. You will also see in the photo a little bit of squadron green that was needed to complete the bottom section of the fuselage.

Engines

I have included this photo to illustrate the use of Alclad II Aluminium on the turbine blades. The picture is a little blurred but it shows a nice finish to the blades. Once the internal colour has been added to these, the metallic areas will be dulled with Tamiya Smoke to make them look more worn

Cockpit

Not the best photo but hopefully you can see the detail has been picked out with Red, Yellow and two bits of blue for the dials (I might change this to clear orange after seeing the photos!) The cockpit itself has a base coat of Vallejo 050 (Grey) added, the panels have been painted in Tamiya XF-69 (NATO Black) and a final coat of wash was added to pick up the detail in the tub. I also need to fill around the front console as this is a resin add on. This will be improved a bit more before the model is finished.

Finally just a few pictures of the aircraft sitting on her legs.

More to follow soon

James

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 pm

that looks fantastic mate what did you wash the pylons with?

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm

markmarples wrote:that looks fantastic mate what did you wash the pylons with?
Mark,

It is MIG wash, Dark Wash.... £7.50 from little cars or a little cheaper from Relish MOdels. Guarentee when you use this you will never use Promodeller Wash ever again!

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:02 pm

thanks i have an order to do when the postal service starts here again so ill order some

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 am

Just caugtht up with this :unsure: Looks superb mate! :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

Ben Montgomery

Re: Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer - Finally Updated!

Post by Ben Montgomery » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Another update to come over this weekend - got the cockpit section sealed, seats made, etch added and all complete.

Hoping to get a good start on the main gear bay tonight as well :thumb:

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Ben Montgomery wrote:Another update to come over this weekend
Mate, you sound like me :lol:
Looks darn good so far, having seen that exhaust nozzle set, I think I'll get that for mine [when] I build it :thumb:
Formerly Beer Monster

Mosquito

Post by Mosquito » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Mr Montgomery is working his magic again. :Wow:

Superb mate.

Mos

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Got a bit, erm, carried away this weekend.

And ended up with this:

Not quite sure how! :lol:

I've painted all the landing gear bays and bomb bays, so will put up photos of that ASAP after I remove all that industrial amount of masking tape.

Also - STOP! Filler Time! :'(

That's the seam between the front and main fuselage sections - break out the Milliput I think!

More to come as and when :thumb:

markmarples

Re: Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer - "Update" Two.

Post by markmarples » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 am

looking good, but pleas eclean your floor! :whistle:

Ben Montgomery

Re: Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer - "Update" Two.

Post by Ben Montgomery » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:36 pm

That's what a solid weekend of modelling looks like! :lol:

Don't worry - it's much better now, back to normal.

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:46 pm

HI Guys

Another update as I seem to be cracking on with this, however saying that we do not have long left until the end of the competition!

Anyway we start with the paints and ancillaries; I find this the most important part of the build before we get going. If you see the pictures below you can see a small selection of what is used to get me to tonight’s progress.

If you have read some of my comments on here regarding paints, you probably know I have a different view of what paints I use and what I think are better to spray thorugh the brush. I have just found through experience that the Mr Hobby Gunze paints are a true dream to work with. They are also a fantastic match to the FS numbers used with most air forces so I cannot recommend them highly enough! I have included a picture of the Mr Surfacer 500 as this is excellent stuff for general filling – it is like a liquid filler which can be easily sanded back.

We start with the primer and pre shade. I used two coats of Vallejo Grey primer. It is the first time I have used this and I have to say it is a dream to work with. No thinning required, it flowed through the brush with easy and gave such a smooth finish. This was left to dry and rubbed back with the sanding sponges (pictured above) and then a final coat of primer given. Another quick rub back with the sponges was given and then left to dry for a short time.

The next stage for me is to pre shade the model. As you can see I am not the best at free handing with an airbrush but for the purpose of what I am trying to achieve it does not really matter at this point. I used Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black to pre shade the model with along all recessed panel lines as seen below:

This was again rubbed back with the sanding songes to ensure a nice smooth finish and polished back to remove any excess before the main coats of paint were added.

First was the application of H308 (FS36375) which is the main airframe colour. Thin coats of thinned paint (about 60/40 paint/thinner) mix were sprayed through the brush and again rubbed ack once the paint had dried and hardened a little. You will see from the photos that I still have a final coat to do as there are still some areas where the pre shade is too prominent but I will hopefully sort this after I have posted this on!

More to follow soon where I am hoping to post shade some of the panels before the final darker shade of grey will be added.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Coming along nicely James. The Open bay looks nice and the fit looks good as well, is there a PE frame to go with it?

Pre shading in my eyes should be just what you have done, as when have you ever seen an a/c that has weathered equally all over. Are you going to enhance the weathering with a post shade as well?

Unfortunately with positives there tends to be some negativity and I have one gripe with regards the Engine Intakes, aren't they White on the A10 :whistle:

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:18 pm

well done mate looks cool

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Cheers guys,

Engine intakes are indeed white, I have not as yet painted these as I have only sorted the Alclad for the bladesand what you are seeing is the over spray from this. I will get sorted in due course. I am also intending to post shade some of the upper panels to give a bit of contrast on what would be a very clean "paintshop" scheme! Hopefully i won't mess this up and it will look good. The Avionics Bay does not have any PE and is a bit expensive for the price but it is quite highly detailed for what you get. Certainly not up to the fantastic Verdilin set I have seen on your porevious Phantoms Scott.

Thunder wrote:Coming along nicely James. The Open bay looks nice and the fit looks good as well, is there a PE frame to go with it?

Pre shading in my eyes should be just what you have done, as when have you ever seen an a/c that has weathered equally all over. Are you going to enhance the weathering with a post shade as well?

Unfortunately with positives there tends to be some negativity and I have one gripe with regards the Engine Intakes, aren't they White on the A10 :whistle:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:39 pm

jamesv9820 wrote:Cheers guys,

Engine intakes are indeed white, I have not as yet painted these as I have only sorted the Alclad for the bladesand what you are seeing is the over spray from this. I will get sorted in due course. I am also intending to post shade some of the upper panels to give a bit of contrast on what would be a very clean "paintshop" scheme! Hopefully i won't mess this up and it will look good. The Avionics Bay does not have any PE and is a bit expensive for the price but it is quite highly detailed for what you get. Certainly not up to the fantastic Verdilin set I have seen on your porevious Phantoms Scott.

James,

I've just checked some photo references with regards the Engine Intakes, and it would appear that not all of A10's are/were White. Alot of them have a continuation of the Grey or in the case of many years ago the Green right up to the compressor faces

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbvi ... detail.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/497 ... 9233_z.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nationalcoldwarexhibition.or ... 20II_l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.reocities.com/~propilot/pictures/A-10big.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/Commerc ... s/a-10.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196 ... ight-2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check your references against the actual a/c :thumb:

What make is the Avionics bay? I found that the Verlinden one for the F-4E to be rather poor when put against the Aires ones for the RF-4, F16 and A7 ones.

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 pm

The bay is an Aires one, not too bad, quite well deatiled but made from two resin components

Thank you for the reference pics. It is also interesting to see that there is a lot of variation on the grey schemes..... Is there a standard paint scheme for the two tone grey, if that makes sense?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:19 am

The "Ghost Grey" scheme came into being around 1992, but even by 1995 this had already started to show signs of variation in the actual pattern between a/c .

I think now they all look like this, note the Darker Grey on top of the Engine Nacelles and the Lighter Grey on the Fuselage above the Wing Root also on Top of the Wing in the same area.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 779071.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 767178.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topsides

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 767370.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 766019.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 603962.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However this is one interesting variation on the Engine Nacelles

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-p ... 828042.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:23 am

Scott,

Thank you for taking the time and posting these for me. To be honest I never thought of looking on A.net for photo reference. Sometimes I can be so thick!

They have certainly helped and hopefully I can get the final coat on over the next few days.

James

Return to “FC Modelling Competition”