Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Group build chat

Moderator: Flyingmonster

Thunder

Re: Group build chat

Post by Thunder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

I've also noticed that none of the suggested GB's(exception being the Harrier) have so far reached the necessary numbers.

Why?? As there seems to be enough members on here that I would expect 15 names per GB

Are people on here not interested in Group Builds as it seems to be the same names appearing over and over again in each suggestion. Are people put off by the fact that GB's tie you to a particular subject or do people feel that some subjects are just outwith their interest or maybe it's the time factor? Maybe (and it's only a suggestion that) those members sitting on the sidelines put forward their views. The GB's will only succeed if members join in, if not then you may will lose them.

Hopefully with Christmas and the New Year now out of the way, more modellers will come out of the shadows and join in.

Phill318

Post by Phill318 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:58 pm

For me it's the fact that they tie you to a particular subject. I've got a few models now that I would like to do and none of these would fit into the proposals that are being put forward. Don't get me wrong the ideas are good and mark is doing a good job its just I can't justify buying a kit just so I can participate in the group builds. If one comes up that fits anything I have then I will gladly join in (for example the large scale one).
Blue Moon!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Phill318 wrote:For me it's the fact that they tie you to a particular subject. I've got a few models now that I would like to do and none of these would fit into the proposals that are being put forward. Don't get me wrong the ideas are good and mark is doing a good job its just I can't justify buying a kit just so I can participate in the group builds. If one comes up that fits anything I have then I will gladly join in (for example the large scale one).

What kits do you have available? Have you thought about AM decals which could allow you to join in without the expense of a kit.

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:51 pm

ok where do i start

point 1

numbers, the initial decision was for 10 but, at present we struggle to get numbers this being a new section and we are not a dedicated modelling forum so to get things going we decided to lower the numbers (as it states earlier in this thread) if we as a team don't make the effort to get GB's running and show others what we are about they will never take off, so by not running as we cant get 10 participants what do we active.

point 2

you WILL NOT loose the GB's viper monster and me are committed to keeping them running no mater what

point 3

if any member wants to suggest a GB i will gladly help propose it

point 4

i am aware that not all of us have interests in certain models or have the cash to keep buying, i know i dont personally im lucky when i had cash i made a good stash but that wont last

out of interest this week i have had several PM's asking about GB's and how to join them,from non regular modelling members, im not going to presure anyone to do anything this is ment to be a fun hobby! we the team are looking at ways of helping our members out, shaun as you know has run the comp and is looking at new ventures coming soon!

if anyone has any problems with the GB's please contact me direct via Pm or any member of the modelling team any suggestions will be gladly received

Phill318

Post by Phill318 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 pm

At the moment I think my builds for 2011 are going to be
1/32 Hunter for large scale gb
1/72 Nimrod XW664
and then I'll see what time I have between Uni work and exams. I will have a think. I could possibly do my Wyvern for a FAA build but then I think its just the time constraints aswell. If my hunter wasnt going to be for the GB I would have started it by now. I also only really like one kit on the go at a time.
Blue Moon!

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Sorry to butt in here Phill :blush:

I would like to add to what Mark wrote,

The group builds are there purely for peoples enjoyment, they are not mandatory. If there is one you fancy doing then bung your name on that thread for one of the team to add to the list. If you dont see one you like then as Mark says you are more than welcome to propose it. No one needs to go out and buy something especially for the builds but I do know there are some people who enjoy doing just that. Nothing is set in stone so if people need more time to acquire kits/decals then that is cool.

No one needs to be excluded, if kits are hard to get for whatever reason then Im sure someone will be able to help

For decals there is always the decal swap scheme which I am trying to grow, this is free to use for members. and I am hoping to be getting some interesting new sheets soon.

So all I will now say is enjoy

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 pm

phil i cant wait to see the hunter i want one of them at some point!

Phill318

Post by Phill318 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm

markmarples wrote:phil i cant wait to see the hunter i want one of them at some point!
I have a little surprise in store for the hunter mark :ninja:
Blue Moon!

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 pm

you cant do that to me! i need to know, i must know now tell me!!!!

Phill318

Post by Phill318 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:25 pm

there's no evil laughter smiley otherwise I would use it :P
Blue Moon!

POL

Post by POL » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Phill318 wrote:there's no evil laughter smiley otherwise I would use it :P

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 pm

lol!!

but i still want to know!!!!! :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Phill go on tell us :Wow: :pop: :pop:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

xl426painter

Post by xl426painter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

hi do not hassle the poor man i hope it is not the same as my one i have ready for paint finally
simon

http://www.mainlymilitary.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

for some reason i cant add a new post on this thread - works computer

please can we have all the discussions re GB's in here rather than hijacking threads

thanks

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:15 am

ladies and gents

can we return to using the Chat (GB) section for debates on GB's its not fair to hijack members proposals to discuss ideas

if you want to join please feel free to add your name and build choice ect, to anything else can we confine it to the chat threas as thats whats its for

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm

well the GB's seem to be going well, but we need more surgestions for them and more participants, the modelling section is growing so we want you to join! :thumbs: :thumbs:

mapo

Post by mapo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:52 am

Hey guys

Anybody thought about starting an Amatuer/novice GB, brush painted only, Out of the box only etc etc

I've always been abit shy towards group builds mainly due to the high quality of builds especially when some have scratch built or aftermarket parts on them it sometimes scares people away.

Catering for these modellers may help expand the group builds

Pete

davedubya

Post by davedubya » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:32 am

mapo wrote:Hey guys

Anybody thought about starting an Amatuer/novice GB, brush painted only, Out of the box only etc etc

I've always been abit shy towards group builds mainly due to the high quality of builds especially when some have scratch built or aftermarket parts on them it sometimes scares people away.

Catering for these modellers may help expand the group builds

Pete
I like the idea. The proposed "speed build" coming up is the nearest I've seen to that sort of level (which is why I put my name down for it).

Perhap some particular model group builds would be good - everyone buys and builds a 1/72 Typhoon, for example. It'd help the novices pick up tips and ideas as the build went along and, hopefully, the more experienced could still get some fun out of it (and build to their higher quality level if they wanted).

mapo

Post by mapo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am

Pete[/quote]
I like the idea. The proposed "speed build" coming up is the nearest I've seen to that sort of level (which is why I put my name down for it).

Perhap some particular model group builds would be good - everyone buys and builds a 1/72 Typhoon, for example. It'd help the novices pick up tips and ideas as the build went along and, hopefully, the more experienced could still get some fun out of it (and build to their higher quality level if they wanted).[/quote]

To be honest
im still an amateur myself, i've never scratch built a part used any aftermarket decals or parts and up until xmas i'd never used an airbrush. i think thats how i know what it feels like when you come onto some aircraft moddelling sites and the quality is that good your worried about showcasing your own incase somebody takes one look and laughs.

so onwards and upwards for an Amatuer GB i need some ideas. 1:72 for the scale should be deffinate, the idea of the Typhoon is great, might be nice to throw in a Hawk and/or Harrier to give people a bit more freedom as well

all suggestions welcome

Pete

Return to “Group Builds”