Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
POL

Re: New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

Post by POL » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:13 am

WillowMan wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 am
I will submit more about me once I have mastered the site , been looking at how to submit a post for a answer , I can't see a drop down or page like this page I'm on now to send . Can some kind person help , might be an age thing
Go to the section you want to post it in, and then click the "New Topic" button in the top left corner :)

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:59 am

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum all of you :thumbs:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

WillowMan

New kid on the bloc.

Post by WillowMan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi all , approaching late 60's been

been a spotting nut since 12 years old . Spent allot of time at the old QE2 building at Heathrow using Ian Allen's aircraft books . Soon got bug for photography thanks to a teacher at school who showed me how to develope photos from negs as there was a camera club he ran. One of my claims to fame was meeting Graham Hill who I was photographing his think Piper N_____y ? Had my photo taken with him from my Kodak Brownie , sadly lost photo and camera gone now , priceless !
On leaving school only one path , joined a airline which got me the travel bug and access to the hobby . World of glamour , yes was privilege to meet many VIP's , had an experience of a freebie on Concord to NYC and seated next to David Frost and across the aisle from the retired Mayor of New York (cant remember his name , but what a wonderful man) .
I got hooked on military planes once Connies and the TWA C119 demised from the Row , who recalls the Packet on its regular run from LHR to PAR ? started travelling by train from Liverpool Street Stn to Ely and then on to Shippea Hill for Arthur and his clapped out old coach would take you to the Hall on meeting the train . He would take his coach airline and do a self conducted tour of the base , around the Globes , Cargos , Connies etc before dropping you off at the Bird in the Hand Pub , wonderful stuff, Arthur is a legend . Soon found out I was missing out on all that wonderful piston engine machines , so used the airline for freebies to see wonderful airline and mil aircraft in Europe and States . Started to find woman more interesting than planes but didn't distract me from the hobby , was blessed to meet a great bunch of guys and formed a group called The 1% , we organised many a van trip in Europe to visit these foreign air bases , Arthur (coach driver) taught me well on covert operations and how to blag yourself into places and be discreet as he would at the Hall. Long before the terrorist situation we have now , there was no such thing as security in my mind , just use your head and not make yourself obvious no one stopped you . Could ramble on about so many places got into on the inside track , not now thou , think would have been locked up and had key thrown away .
Got married too a Laker girl , now for 41years and she has been brilliant never ever stopped me from running around logging numbers and photography aircraft around the world . Hobby went off track early 2002 , had fantastic trip to States after the issues with 9/11 , unfortunately lost a good pal and partner in crime . Always kept eye on things but lost touch with old spotting friends . Can't believe how easy you guys can see things now , all this technology you have on phones etc . I relied on inside info from mates in ATC do could be in the right place at right time , certainly spotting is easier but now with being looked at as a potential terrorist do all take care and make sure you don't upset the security . Got to Fairford last year and shot the MT buffs , was a happy chappy . Previous year before the virus was glad to have seen all the wonderful Daks at Duxford . Well got the bug again so that's me for now

WillowMan

OTT

Post by WillowMan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 am

Question for someone, was looking on flight radar and noted a A319 coming into UK airspace , had N/A info against details . So looked on ADSB to find it was showing RAAF and serial VH VCJ , it landed at STN , think it left STN same day and headed North . Think this was on Monday 10th , would appreciate update on why no info on this aircraft on radar

POL

Post by POL » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:06 am

Flight Radar block information for a lot of aircraft at the owners wishes. Departure and/or destination may show NA if FlightRadar24 don't know where it departed from or where it's going to.

Also VH-VCJ is nothing to do with the RAAF, I think they leased it for a few months a while back but it's now owned by Skytraders.

WillowMan

Post by WillowMan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 am

Thanks EGVP , I'm just getting my act together been along absent time 20yrs allot things have changed in spotting .
Got another question if you can help . I'm blessed with my location , close to Alconbury , central enough for flight paths. I've seen many a P8 with AE____ call signs is the anyway of tieing serials up if I see one again , would anyone on OTT section have the means

Sleader

Post by Sleader » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:53 am

Welcome to the forum Willowman, just like myself joined this week. We must be near neighbours as I’m near Alconbury as well, just in Sawtry and in a good area for flightpaths, had the pleasure of two B1s earlier in the week straight over the house.

POL

Post by POL » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:17 am

WillowMan wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 am
I've seen many a P8 with AE____ call signs is the anyway of tieing serials up if I see one again , would anyone on OTT section have the means
If you put the hex code in the search box in the top right it'll being up any posts with that in it, if someone identified the airframe you'll be able to find it that way.

Porter750

Post by Porter750 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi to all,
I have recently moved to near Mildenhall ((inside its circuit,Accidentally not on purpose!) love sitting in the garden watching the C130’s and K 135’ overhead with the occasional V22 as well.
My wife has a suspicion the move here was purposefully done????
I’m looking forward to more aircraft movements and exploring this site as well.
Regards, Dennis

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:09 am

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum :thumbs:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

GeordieSteve

Post by GeordieSteve » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi Guys...

I am new to the forum, but i've been an enthusiast since I was about 13... i'm 56 now!

I don't get to airfields anywhere near as much as i used to, but i still have a passion for aircraft.
However, I do get to RIAT every year, apart from the last 2 years obviously!
I live in Kent now and would love to get up to the Suffolk and Lincolnshire bases, but i need to have a heads up on any deployments to make the journey worthwhile as i still work full time.
I'm happy to share some of the photos i have, and i posted a message about some software i found recently that has been exactly what I have been looking for, for ages. i'm always happy to share ideas, info and photos with fellow enthusiasts, so give me a shout!
Cheers, GeordieSteve

Phantom1

Post by Phantom1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Good Evening......Another Newbie! Thanks for letting me join - I've heard loads of people talking about FC, so have "stalked" the forum as far as I could for a number of years, but finally thought I'd "man-up" and join!
I'm a keen enthusiast and take photos for my own enjoyment, mainly Valley and The Loop although I have just had a week at Lakenheath, Marham and Mildenhall! What a great trip that was. Saw the Seymour Johnson F15's departing which was superb.....maybe a shot of those may be my first photo post!!
Anyway, thanks again for allowing me to join the "friendly forum", I hope my contributions will increase steadily over the years to come :)
James

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:33 am

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum Steve and James :thumbs:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

ks_avphotography

Post by ks_avphotography » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 am

Hi everyone, my name's Kyle, I'm new to fighter control and my main airfield to spot at is RAF Fairford. Occasionally I make a trip out to Lakenheath and Mildenhall but also enjoy some togging in Wales to spot some aircraft in the wild. I have an Instagram page named the same as my account on fighter control should you be interested!! 😁

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:48 am

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum Kyle :thumbs:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Topcat002

Post by Topcat002 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Just joined your forum today, thanks for adding me.

I’ve been spotting since the mid 1970’s as a teenager and worked in the airline/aviation industry for 44 years until I retired
early.
In June i moved house and now live within easy reach of Mildenhall, Lakenheath & Marham.
I’ve traveled the world any times over and seen things I never dreamed I would. Life is for living folks, you don’t get another chance.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 am

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum :thumbs:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Topcat002

Post by Topcat002 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am

Thank you Paddyboy 👍

leroythewlis

Post by leroythewlis » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi guys, Leroy here, age 15.

I'm a newbie to FighterControl and indeed planespotting...got into it at the beginning of lockdown which was anything but a great time to start, what with travel facing huge restrictions. I live in Liverpool so am a regular down at John Lennon watching all the boring stuff and then going home, looking at The Aviators youtube channel and finding out that back in 2018 LPL used to get A340s, visiting Typhoons, Lancs and Spits for the Southport Airshow and...yeah I got into planespotting a couple of years too late.
However, I've been given an awesome introduction to it, what with LPL having about 10 visits from various RAF Atlas A400Ms, but still very much a newbie in terms of the list of planes that I have actually set eyes upon.
I've been to a few of the major UK RAF bases: Coningsby (made the stupid mistake of going during the day on night flying week - saw nothing), Brize Norton (runway was damaged so only got takeoffs but did see 'the big 4'), Lakenheath and Mildenhall (had an absolutely incredible trip there - got a USAF Rivet Joint...highlight of my year) and a couple of others. As you all can see...I have a very active jinx when it comes to military spotting. Now would be a great time to mention that Air Force 1 came over at 20,000ft (taking a strange routing from Mildenhall to Newquay for the G7) and it was just inside a very dense cloud...yes my jinx struck again and I didn't see it.
All in all, I'm just a bit inexperienced with planespotting but I'm climbing the ladder and come a few years time my bucket list will hopefully be mostly ticked off.

Cheers

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:44 am

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum, Leroy :thumbs:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Return to “The Newbie Forum”