Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
GOOSE

New to Fighter Control? Introduce yourself here.

Post by GOOSE » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:15 am

One of the many feedback themes we have received is that there is no dedicated area for new members to introduce themselves.

All new and recently joined members, or those who are not so new but still wish to introduce themselves, please feel free to do so here. :thumb:

Welcome to Fighter Control. :thumb:

GOOSE

Re: New to Fighter Control? Introduce yourself here.

Post by GOOSE » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 am

Welcome Dave :thumb:

jem60

Re: New to Fighter Control? Introduce yourself here.

Post by jem60 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:01 am

Well, I'm a bit of an old hand here, having been on the Old FC and been on this one for a coupla months now. I have just turned 68, and, despite being a Driving School proprietor and Instructor for 39 years, I am still alive [!] I retired 7 years ago. Aircraft and flying have always been my passion [apart from pretty women etc.,] and my flying went right from ATC Cadet expeirience flights, through gliding, sky diving, and PPL. Love to travel, been to many shows both here and abroad, favourite country South Africa, best flight, on the flight deck of Concorde at 55, 0000 .[Someones got to do it.] Lots of life experience, frequent cruiser, married to the beautiful Teresa, who some of you might know if you are Friends of Duxford. [She works in the tea tent on show days} I tend to be a little contraversial on here at times, deliberately, because both sides have to be viewed, which is not always the case. Love the site, occupies time on dreary days. :D

radionut

Re: New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

Post by radionut » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Hello Everyone

Radionut here in the Irish Republic. Location is in North Co. Waterford.
I joined the forum a few months ago, it a fantastic source of information.
I'm a SWL since about 1970 listening to Utiliy, Amateur and Broadcast stations.
Have a scanner since about 1990 listening to mainly Aviation and Marine.
Shack includes a Fairhaven RD500, AR7030, BCT15, UBC3300XLT handheld, AIS, Radarbox and a Sony SA3ES for band 2 DX receivers.
Antennas, Wellbrook ALA-1530, Longwire, Marine band antenna, Scanmaster, 5E Triax beam for band 2.
A couple of computers some rescued from local recycling centre.
Other hobbies photography birdwatching and hillwalking.

JJ :)

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:37 pm

JJ
Very nice set up! You have it all!
Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the Worldwide Monitoring Section.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi all,
Geoff Duke, aka ArabJazzie here calling in for the third time i think!!! Currently live in Dundee with my wife n 4 kids and work at the wonderful Dundee Airport on the banks of the Tay. Can be regularly seen at Leuchars and Edinburgh with Aberdeen, Kinloss, Lossie, Glasgow, and Prestwick taken in when the mood, or movements tempts me. And i do like Civvie and Mil so can be seen over there too!

I may not be able to all the time, so will say now about the great photos ive seen on here and hope that my own can eventually match the best. The 3 threads ive put up so far have been well received so thank you all!
Arabest,
Geoff.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Nice to see you Mr D! :thumb:

Mr Marshazz

Post by Mr Marshazz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 am

Hi everyone,

Ian here from Nottinghamshire, not far from the former RAF Newton. Born into the RAF as father served for 24 years all over the world. Born at the RAF Hospital that used to be at Wroughton near Swindon. Lived at Abingdon, Akrotiri and Marham before dad left the RAF in 1977. Unfortunately I failed to get in the RAF as only wanted to fly at the time. Sometimes regret not going in doing something on the ground instead. Spent four and a half great years as an air cadet at 1936 Newton squadron flying mostly in the based Chipmunks and gliders at Syerston, including doing the basic gliding course and going solo. Also had memorable visits to Finningley flying in a Dominie and Hereford in an AAC Westland Scout. The later involved 4 of us sitting on the floor in the back with just a bungy round us to stop us sliding out the open doors - Great fun. The only recent flying I've done was in a Piper PA38 at Tollerton as a birthday present last year which brough back a lot of memories from flying with cadets.

Main interest is in military aircraft, particularly modern era but generally interested in most things to do with aviation. Like taking photos at airshows etc but by no means and expert and don't have the equipment to really do it justice. Unfortunately haven't been able to attend many shows recently but my forum photo of a Harrier GR9 was taken the last time I went to a show at the 2009 Wittering Families day with my Kodak Z700.

Cheers

Ian

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:17 am

I'm liking this thread - it's nice to actually find out who the hell we're talking to! Hope everyone will add a post in due course. I know lots of the folks on here know me already but I might as well add my bit:-

I'm an aviation obsessive as it's been my only real interest ever since I was a teeny kid. I have evidence of this with a picture of me taken at the age of four, holding a (Frog) Vulcan model! I didn't really have much contact with aeroplanes though when I was a youngster, the only time I did was the annual trip to Finningley's air show which I first went to in 1966 I believe, and never missed one after that. The only other aeroplanes I saw were during the annual holiday in Mablethorpe as RAF Strubby was just down the road and Theddlethorpe bombing range was virtually overhead. Scampton, Coningsby and Waddington could be seen on the way there and back too! It was only in the mid-1970s that my family started holidaying next to RAF St.Mawgan and that was when I really got obsessed, spending weeks at a time just sat at the end of the runway all day, watching the activity.

When I left school I went into all sorts of jobs as I had no real career aspirations. I drifted into aerospace publishing by accident really but one project led to another until writing books and magazine features became my main pastime. I never did the work for the money (I'd earn more at McDonalds probably) but it was an easy way to scrounge joyrides and that was all I wanted to do! Thankfully I got over that obsession and I take a more relaxed view of book writing these days but I'm still doing 'em. My books and magazine articles are to be found all over the place. Although I write under my name "Tim McLelland" a lot of people seem genuinely confused by the fact that much of my older work is credited to "Tim Laming". The reason is actually perfectly simple - I changed my surname many years ago (because of a family saga, nothing mysterious). The only other work-related saga that often interests or amuses people is when I worked for Channel 4 as a stills photographer. I spent the summer chasing Anneka Rice around the country whilst filming the various "Treasure Hunt" series (we did a spin-off called "Interceptor" after that but it was rubbish). It was good fun and well paid, and I got plenty of free lifts in the two helicopters which was fun - the pilots were both ex-Culdrose!

I used to be a keen visitor to air shows and a keen "spotter" (if standing around taking the odd snap counts as "spotting"). But having been brought-up on "real" aeroplanes (the days of Greenham Common IAT, Mildenhall, etc), today's shows hardly seem worth the effort, so I rarely visit shows now (didn't go to any this year) nor do I do much plane spotting. I suspect a lot of this is because sites like FC provide me with a regular diet of news and great images, so I can happily look at other people's efforts without venturing beyond the front door!

Anyway, despite the fact that I've earned quite a reputation for being an abrasive and argumentative character on the internet, I should assure everyone that I'm actually a nice guy and always enjoy chatting to anyone who's around, if I happen to be out and about. Not that I am out and about much, although I do want to try and get to the IPMS model show in Telford next month - as do quite a few other FC members I suspect!

rattler

Post by rattler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:01 am

Reading the posts from Jem 60 and Tim has prompted me to add my "CV".

At 67 years old, I thought I'd be the oldest guy on the forum, but it looks as though Jem might have that honour. Tim, you probably won't remember, but I can remember spending an afternoon with you in the Media enclosure at St Mawgan air show many years ago where you were telling me of your plans to be an aviation writer.

My first airshow was at RAF Pershore in 1948 where I sat in a Mosquito and from that point on I was hooked. I still have my old spotting logs from the late 50s when the skies around here were filled with military aircraft. Types logged include C-47, F-100, Provost T1, C-121, Jet Provost, Bristol 170, Marathon, Brigand, B-36, Anson, Whirlwind, KB-50, B-47, Vampire, Varsity T1, Vulcan, Lincoln, Chipmunck,Hunter, KC-97, Sea Fury, Javelin, Shackleton, RB-66, Valiant, Victor, Gannet, Hastings, Canberra, Firefly, Meteor, Mosquito, C-124, Beverly, Sycamore, Pembroke, B-52, Devon plus many "one off" sightings such as Banshee, Tracker, F-84 etc. It made going to school a pleasure, sitting by the window watching all this traffic, though it did not add much to my education.

Living in the Vale of Evesham, we were surrounded by military airfields. Pershore, Gaydon, Little Rissington, Fairford, Upper Heyford and Brize all provided a lot of traffic.

When I left school my interest in aircraft took a back seat and my energy was used (if not sapped) with a new passion - chasing young ladies. My interest was re-kindled after I married and we had our son Stuart (who a lot of you know) when I joined the ROC. Had some great times and did some flying also in such types as the Hasings, Andover and VC-10. Later on I was involved with the Skyfame Museum as Vice President of the Supporters Society. Many of the aircraft you now see at the IWM Museum at Duxford were originally saved by the Syfame Museum. The Supporters Society raised enough money to buy a Hastings from the RAF and I'm really proud to see it take pride of place in the Airspace Museum at Duxford.

I was later involved with RIAT as a volunteer for about 6 years before getting involved with Fighter Control (Mk.1) writing articles. I'm presently involved with Stuart and five Dutch friends with the Touchdown-aviation website. Though the skies around here are quite compared to the "good old days", my passion for miltary aviation is as strong as ever.

Cheers,

Mick F

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:14 am

Hi, Rattler. I notice the lack of a flying B.45 Tornado in your list. Like you, I have seen all the others fly, but am I unique in being the only lucky s.d to have seen a B.45 in the air?? Regards. Oldies had the best days :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

rattler

Post by rattler » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Jem,

Yes, I did see the odd RB-45 (presumably, out of Sculthorpe), but they were very much a rarity in these parts. Another type I forgot to mention that was quite common was the C-133...what a lovely sound . You could hear them miles away.

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:58 am

I can barely remember talking to anyone back in the old press pen at St.Mawgan Rattler but no doubt I did - keeping my mouth shut has never been easy! Would be so nice to go back and do it all again with a better camera, although you did at least have the good sense to keep your photographs - many of which I still stare-at on a regular basis!

Never saw a B-45 flying, the closest I ever got to one was in a museum. The oldest machine I can vaguely remember must be a Voodoo leaving one of Finningley's air shows although being a mere child at the time I was always far too obsessed with looking at the Vulcans. I guess my memories are from a slightly later era. I still vividly remember standing next to the runway as a Belfast lumbered off along the concrete (and almost disappeared before it got airborne) and now it all seems so very long ago (it was probably 1976 actually). But I do remember being driven past Coningsby shortly after they received their Phantoms. They were all lined up in two long ranks (must have been thirty at least) and I'm guessing that must have been 1969-70?

pikey01

Post by pikey01 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 am

Well i'll join in :P My name is Graham and im 32, married, no kids (as yet) My interest in this hobby started when my dad took me to an airshow in Gibraltar around 1984ish and I remember seeing a German Starfighter...I was really impressed at how it was halfway round the Rock again before I could even hear it :lol: I also remember seeing the Vulcan gate guard arrive, doing flypasts with a pair of jags and bucc's.

Although Ive always had an interest in aircraft, I only really started getting into photography around 2005, although I must confess im finding myself more interested in Heli's these days. Anyway, I can normally be found around the Brize fence especially in the summer months. In case anyone is wondering where the Pikey name comes from, I work on a mobile home site next to Brize runway doing maintenance. I believe it was Shaggie who suggested my callsign should be pikey01 and it just stuck :lol: :lol:

NGAutoArt

Post by NGAutoArt » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 am

Hi all :)

My name is Neil, i'm 34, from Melton Mowbray in lovely Leicestershire, 6ft tall, 14st 8lbs, inside leg is... Nope, you don't need that! :halo:

Anyway, my history is nowhere near as interesting as the peeps above, but basically i've had a passion for aircraft and motor cars since i could talk. If i'm honest, i lean more towards cars ( please don't shoot me! ), but i think i enjoy myself more at airshows than motor-races, which confuses me somewhat!

Photography is a recent addition to my list of hobbies, but i'm right at the bottom of the learning curve and very much looking forward to the big climb! You guys who post in the monthly competition section have me in awe of your skills and vision!

In April of this year i attended a Beginners Drawing and Sketching evening class, run by a professional artist friend of mine. With her help, i've been able to get to a standard whereby people actually want to pay me for sketching their vehicles and a month ago i set up my own website to help get me going. This is something that i now want to make a career of, as working in a factory, wiring control panels for elevators isn't really my thing, although i do enjoy making pretty looms! :blush:

A sketch i did of the XH558 for my grandad in September is now being placed on the wall in the Plough pub in Bruntingthorpe, where he enjoyed many a pint of a friday evening with my dad. Grandad sadly passed away 3 weeks ago and i think he'd enjoy seeing his picture next to the lovely photos of Vulcans and Lightnings in that lovely public house.

I'm currently living with my long suffering wife to be, Karen. We have a cat ( Jess ) but none of those screaming things with two arms and legs. Yet.

Hope i made at least one of you smile!

Neil :)
Automotive and Aviation Art.
http://www.ngautoart.co.uk

zeebra3

Post by zeebra3 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi everyone, firstly just to say what an excellent board this is :thumb:

My name is Jason, I have lived in Stockport since 98, but I am originally from Carlisle. First became intersted in military aviation at about the age of 5, one of earliest childhood memories being attending Woodford airshow in '75. Wanted to be a pilot from then on. Joined ATC in 83 until 88 (more about that in separate thread). Completed RAF Flying Scholarship ay Tayside Flying Club in 88, went to OASC to apply for aircrew proper, but came up a short in part 2 of the selection process (leadership). Obviously disappointed, but had to be philosophical, so pursued alternative career in IT where I am now a senior IT systems manager.

My interest in avaition waned somewhat after not making it into the forces, but still find it an inspiring sight when a military jet blasts over. One of my friends suggested going to RAF Cosford airshow earlier this year, even though the weather turned grotty, I really enjoyed the show, and it re-kindled my interest.

My folks still live up in Carlisle, so if I go up to visit and its as part of annual leave, we always try and have a trip to Spadeadam EW range (anybody remember Tactical Air Meet 86?!). Really like it up there, you have to go with an open mind though, as it might be ok, but you may not see anything.

Which brings me to why I found this board. Was up in Carlisle in September and Joint Warrior was mentioned in the local paper and said Spadeadam would be active, so had a search to see if I could find any more detailed information, and found FC. That opened a world of excellent photos and information. :thumbs: . Am a bit time constrined to go spotting, so this helps me keep in touch with what's happening.

Cheers

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:38 pm

A warm welcome to all out recent new friends :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BostonSwing

Post by BostonSwing » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi Rattler.
Both you and Jem are young ones yet. I shall be 76 in Feb but my friend - who is also a member of FC is over 80 :thumbs: although he doesn't post on the forums. It was him that first introduced me to the "old" FC.
Canon 7DII
Canon 40D
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-f5.6 IS USM
Uniden UBC 3500XLT

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Young or not so young Sir, you are still a valued member! :thumb:

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 am

Bostonswing.
Thankgoodness for that!.
I didn't really want to be the oldest!!. Come on then, regale us with aircraft you've seen fly that Rattler and I haven't. I suspect Hornets and things may spring up. Regards.

Return to “The Newbie Forum”