Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Recent daily flying ops/summer vacancies?

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Valley here.
Richard de Florennes

Recent daily flying ops/summer vacancies?

Post by Richard de Florennes » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello, I am considering visiting RAF Valley next week.
Looking at what is shown in adsb, they only fly with a maximum of six Hawk per day. Is it possible that only a small part of based aircraft flying are shown on adsb? or are they really flying that poor, possibly due to summer holidays of some base personell? Does anybody know if they even close down completely completely for some weeks in summer? Is there any other source for obtaining more info? Would like to avoid driving several hundred miles for nothing next week. Thanks for any help.

Red Dragon

Re: Recent daily flying ops/summer vacancies?

Post by Red Dragon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 am

There can be up to six launches per day usually between 2-6 aircraft per wave (you might see the same aircraft all day). If you only use ADSB/ FR24/ Freedar you will only see a fraction of the daily operations, 360 radar gives the best coverage for the area to give you an idea of what is airborne.

From what we can work out there won't be any "block leave" this year (if any one can confirm) due to the COVID lockdown, bad wether for the last 4-6 weeks weeks, the squadrons need to catch up.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Tarnished1

Post by Tarnished1 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:49 am

Only the 2nd texan in a 2 ship that won't show on adsb (* see footnote) other than that I've had no problems with "seeing" hawks/texans on adsb exchange. Hawks display "sporadic" tracks and based T2's will never show a callsign, and if they do it's invariably incorrect. If they go low level you wont see hawks/texans tracking. Obviously if any not "squitting" you wont be able to track them, sometimes happens with visitors on instrument approaches etc.

Hawks seen on the Valley 4/25 Sqns fltline earlier this month (14/7/20):
ZK010/FN
ZK012/C
ZK013/D
ZK014/E
ZK016/G
ZK019/J
ZK029/FE
ZK031/FG
ZK035/FK
ZK036/FL
ZK037/FM

Jupiter/Junos with 202 Sqn all show on adsb. Noted earlier this month:
ZM501/ZM518/ZM532.

Texans noted out on the fltline over 2 days (10/7+14/7)
(normally 5 aircraft out for days flying, so half the total here):
ZM323
ZM324
ZM326
ZM331
ZM332.

They have been regularly flying late afternoon like the hawks, incl last friday (24/7) where ZM325 was also flying (T/o 1703L on final sortie of day as "Anglesey 72").
* if/when formation splits then 2nd texan should show on adsb. I noticed an anomaly last fri (24/7) when ZM323 was displaying the callsign "RCKT/Rocket1" but ZM324 was showing as "Swift2"; they had departed rwy13 as a 2 ship @ 1050L. Presume one callsign from a previous pairs sortie.

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm

I know this probably doesnt mean very much but I have noticed a distinct lack of RAF valley aircraft on adsb exchange this morning. Has the base been active today?
I am coming to Angelsey tomorrow for 2 days....it will be sold law if they have all gone on holiday !!!

MTIA

John
Its gonna rain, its gonna rain till the levee breaks, a tidal wave of fear and pain washes us away, another fight into the night until nothing else remains, how do we find harbour from the Hurricane?

www.flickr.com/wickenden1967

Toefur

Post by Toefur » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi john I wouldn't panic as previously stated on this thread they dont always show up on adsb .I was in the region last week and they were flying but not showing on adsb, freedar 360.besides this there,ye behind in they're training so getting in as much flying as possible. You be lucky I'm sure .cheers toefur

Phantomwolf

Post by Phantomwolf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

For your information, flying activity at Valley seems to be consistent , if a little sporadic at times. Can see stuff in the circuit from our holiday bolthole and today I have had Texans low over the house and seven Hawks recovering way past five thirty, a three ship ,(which seem reasonably common) a two ship and two singletons.
Landing Rhosneigr end today.
Weather looking a bit iffy for the next day or two though.
Happy hunting if you manage to get up here.

johnwickenden

Post by johnwickenden » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks for this.....

So, weather has - as predicted- been completely paints for the last two days.

Will be driving back home to sunny sussex tomorrow, but am wondering what time they 'normally' start flying as I might pop over for a.couple of hours before I make the long trek south(east)?
Its gonna rain, its gonna rain till the levee breaks, a tidal wave of fear and pain washes us away, another fight into the night until nothing else remains, how do we find harbour from the Hurricane?

www.flickr.com/wickenden1967

Pi

Post by Pi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Believe 0830ish local

Return to “RAF Valley & Mona”