Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Valley flying hours / block leave

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Valley here.
Doughnut

Valley flying hours / block leave

Post by Doughnut » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:09 am

Has anybody any advice on RAF Valley flying hours / movements being reduced during the summer months due to base annual leave ?
Advanced planning as do not want to visit and find RAF on holiday and base closed for two weeks.

Ianto31

Re: Valley flying hours / block leave

Post by Ianto31 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:16 am

Doughnut wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:09 am
Has anybody any advice on RAF Valley flying hours / movements being reduced during the summer months due to base annual leave ?
Advanced planning as do not want to visit and find RAF on holiday and base closed for two weeks.
To my knowledge, the base is still open and active over the summer.
With regards to annual leave i'd presume it'd be the same as any other workplace and employees taking them as and when needed

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:31 pm

There is usually a block leave period, usually in August I believe, but now with majority of staff being civilian, it might be a bit more "flexible" with it's definiton of Block Leave.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:50 pm

Thankyou Red Dragon. I have read previously that flying operations can be reduced by both ground and air crew shortage due to holidays. Flight training runs in cycles so it would actually make sense to both MOD and private Contractor operators to shut down, or at least limit flight training, for a two / three week period during the summer. Just asking as would prefer to visit Anglesey when flying ops are in full swing.

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:18 pm

In all my time there has never been any 'block leave' at Valley - or at any other RAF units I have experienced, other than the Christmas break and a slightly more specific mid-season break for the display assets.

Flying training is pretty much round the clock but with reduced numbers overall there can be intensive 'phases' eg low level or medium level - not that that makes much difference to the movements at the airfield. Formation phases might make for some more interesting approaches but I should imagine it is pretty steady - albeit much less intensive than the glory days of the cold war.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:04 am

Thanks for all the responses. Glory days are in deed long gone.

Return to “RAF Valley & Mona”