Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Craig's Autumn Portfolio

Take part in the Autumn photo challenge, see the sticky thread inside on information and how to enter!
Craig

Craig's Autumn Portfolio

Post by Craig » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:05 am

Category 1 - Common aircraft types: Trainer - Tucano T.1; Fighter - F-16 (Any variant); Transport - C-17
Mildenhall 29/09/2011. Only shot I have taken of any of the common aircraft types during Autumn! Unfortunately the light was harsh and they were using the wrong end for this time of day at Mildenhall. I have desaturated the airframe and colour popped parts of it becasue I didn't like this one as shot.
IMG_2648a by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Category 2 - Close up: Close up shot with squadron insignia
Lakenheath 02/11/2011. From the open access land field near the end of the landing lights, 400mm on a crop sensor will not fit the whole aircraft in so I was aiming for this type of shot, it has only had a tidying up crop applied and was frame filling as shot.
IMG_5237 by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Category 3 - Specific angle: Head-on shot
Lakenheath 19/10/2011. The light was right down the runway in the afternoon when this was took which it is exactly half in shade and half in light. I waited for the jet to cross over the runway taxiing to the North hold so that the wheels were visible, I like this configuration with 2 tanks.
IMG_4192 by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Category 4 - Weather: Dramatic cloudscapes
Wattisham 01/11/2011. I was up the 23 approach at Wattisham taking pictures of Apaches and this Seaking in the golden light when I realised that the sky was turning and there was going to be a nice sunset so I walked along the fence line to position myself so that the helicopter would drop into the shot nicely and exposed for the sky.
IMG_4722 by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Category 5 - Editing technique: Black & White
RIAT 2011. Whilst camping at Rhymes farm we got to now the routines of the various displaying aircraft. Every time we heard the Chinook overhead from the tents we called it the 'sound of war'. With this in mind I always wanted a shot of it in Black and White, the challenge was 1/100th shutter speed and some spirited flying.
063 by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Return to “Photo Challenge - Autumn 2011”