Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Please look after yourself overseas

GOOSE

Please look after yourself overseas

Post by GOOSE » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Ladies and Gents, not all overseas authorities understand our hobby.

Photography and the taking of serials is very often misunderstood.

Please be careful on your travels. :)

urkles

Re: Please look after yourself overseas

Post by urkles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:01 am

I can only re-iterate what Goose states, always try to get prior permission before you go ahead with photography/logging, etc.., and its always good to have someone with you who speaks the local language as they can explain alot better than you can! You will be surprised what you can get when you ask, even if its turning up unannounced at a gate!

Northsky

Post by Northsky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:12 pm

A list of place where spotters have been arrested India - those guys who locked themselves in their room for a few days at a hotel with an SBS box!! Egypt something similar but poolside .

I heard about an Aussie being arrested in Malaysia for taking photos. Thailand- confiscation of telescope and police stopping photography on the outside of Don Muang airport and detaining spotters at a mil base. Never take a photo of the kings plane .

China theft of camera bag by passing motorcycle thieves . East Germany after fall of the cold war shots being fired overhead !!

Dave

Northsky

Post by Northsky » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:51 pm

[mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Last edited by Northsky on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

urkles

Post by urkles » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Dave, I was going to reply to you privately this morning to your e mail but as you have know put your concerns publicily I feel I have to reply.

Have you noticed that my log from U Tapoa contains only a small number of what is there, the reason for that was because I only went to areas I was allowed to.

I was at the Royal Thai Navy museum the day before and got on very well with an english speaking officer there and I told him of my own experience of being in the Royal Navy and Sea Harriers in particular, so he called someone up to see if I could have a look at the AV8s there, as you know they are parked with the A7s. The person he spoke to could not meet me but would inform the gate I would be coming, and I was told just ask when I got there. The officer in charge of the Cessna 337 hangar allowed me to take notes and look at a short distance of the parked aircraft, and he did say that be descreet if I want photos, said I could not of the Cessnas, but a few shots of the parked aircraft from the car would be ok but for only personal use, and I will abide by his wishes.

Service personnel were very friendly to me and a polite no was met at everywhere else except the Dornier hangar, where again I was allowed to take notes. In fact most places the guys wanted a photo of me with them, especially at the restaurant where the Dak is, and had a hard time getting away from having to stop for lunch with them as I had to get back to Bangkok!

I have apolgised because I did not want to upset anyone and would not like to think my advice would get people into trouble, and re-reading what I wrote I should have been more specific. As it was I did get seen by one person taking a shot from the car, but he was polite and did not know I had an informal permission to do this, I felt silly getting seen, and not wanting to put the guys at the Cessna hangar into trouble I said sorry and left, so yes I did make a mistake, and dont condone my actions in anyway, another reason I have apologised.

My advice to everyone going to Thailand is the same as before - always ask and abide by what you are told by authorities.

Mark

brewerybod

Post by brewerybod » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:16 pm

[quote]So how come you decided to Chance your arm this time. Desperation ?? i hope you dont post photo`s from Utapao on here.quote]

See what happens when you don't know all the facts :whistle:
Bentwaters Cold War Museum, Suffolk

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:51 pm

brewerybod wrote:
So how come you decided to Chance your arm this time. Desperation ?? i hope you dont post photo`s from Utapao on here.
See what happens when you don't know all the facts :whistle:
Indeed. Assumption is the mother...

Northsky

Post by Northsky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am

Last edited by Northsky on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

urkles

Post by urkles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 am

Dave,

You seem to be a bigger deal about this than needs be, at Lop Buri I asked at the gate to look at the museum, no problem, I asked to look at other wrecks and relics, no problem, in fact I make a point of asking people before I do anything, which why I was shown around the TH300C hangar, and why at the Air Force base at Lop Buri I was given ramp access and a tour by the crew of a visiting 461 Sqn BT67, which included me sitting in the cockpit of the BT67.

Its why also I spent the morning with KASET at Khlong Luang with the ground crew, and why now I have a small network of contacts in the Thai armed forces who have told me next time I come to Thailand a visit around the respective base should be no problem.

I did not want to go on like this, as it seems like boasting, but it seems you have given me no choice.

Mark

brewerybod

Post by brewerybod » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Received this message in my inbox from daveb2 - 'ok smartarse so now we know but what he has posted in the airshow section is open on the wide world web for anybody to see including people whose intentions might not be harmless!!'

I am not abit interested in your opinions so please keep them to yourself :grr:

urkles

Post by urkles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Seems a bit harsh! I apologised when I made a mistake, seems others just delete there posts :)

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:57 pm

How old are you guys, take this off-board and stop posting rubbish all over this otherwise excellent forum!

urkles

Post by urkles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:16 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Dingus is correct. Thread locked.

Return to “Rest of the World”