Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

XH558 to leave Doncaster in 2023, either dismantled or by ferry flight..

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
andygolfer

XH558 to leave Doncaster in 2023, either dismantled or by ferry flight..

Post by andygolfer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:10 am

Just had an e-mail from the Trust saying they are planning to move XH558 from Doncaster, 2 options- adismantle or ferry flight.
here's the text:

The Avro Vulcan XH558 is getting ready to take the next step in its journey as it prepares to leave Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) in June 2023.

The Vulcan to the Sky Trust (VTST), the charity behind the restoration and return to flight of XH558, have been renting space on the airfield from DSA for the aircraft following an unsuccessful fundraising campaign to build a new permanent home for the Vulcan.

John Sharman, chair of trustees at the VTST said: “We were extremely sad to hear the news regarding the strategic review of DSA and our thoughts are with the staff there who will no doubt be concerned about their futures.

“Our current agreement for parking our aircraft at DSA, together with access for our staff, volunteers, and visitors, runs until June 2023 and prior to the news about the future of DSA we had been told that the agreement would not be renewed and therefore would have to leave the site at that time.

“This is a blow to the Trust and will be very sad news for our supporters, but for some months we have been exploring options for XH558 to leave Doncaster.”

XH558 flew into the airport in March 2011 and, for a number of years, millions of supporters were able to see and hear her fly!

John added: “Since the aircraft was grounded in 2015, we’ve been working to build her the type of home that befits such an iconic piece of aviation history. Sadly, our latest fundraising appeal didn’t bring in the money needed to build a hangar and DSA have confirmed that she can only stay where she is until June 2023. Having sought assurances from the airport, we have established that their announcement doesn’t affect our timeline for leaving the airport.

“As soon as we knew that our future was likely to be away from DSA, we began the process of finding a safe and permanent home for XH558 – an important heritage aviation asset.

“We are working on two potential sites where we know we can protect her for decades to come and deliver on Robert Pleming’s vision of telling the Cold War story and the role of the V-Force and inspiring youngsters to pursue meaningful and productive careers in engineering.

“Clearly as the sites are away from Doncaster, the relocation will bring significant challenges but outcomes we believe the VTST can deliver.”

The VTST is currently exploring a number of options for a new home for Vulcan XH558 ranging from investigating the possibility of a short ferry flight to enable the aircraft to get to a new location intact or to dismantle and move and rebuild her in a dedicated permanent home.

John explained: “The option for a one-off flight demonstrates that the VTST are exploring every option. We were always told that we would not get approval for her to fly again by the CAA, however, we are now in discussion with them to explore any potential way forward as if this might be an option, it’s not one that we can ignore.

“The alternative is to dismantle the aircraft and move it to a proposed home and we have two potential locations in negotiation. While we acknowledge that it would be extremely sad to dismantle XH558 it would mean that ultimately, she will be preserved and will still be able to inform, educate and inspire future generations of engineers.

“As soon as a decision has been made regarding the final destination for XH558 we’ll be able to put the wheels in motion and we’ll keep our supporters updated throughout this process.

“We want to thank everyone for their continued support and interest in Vulcan XH558.”

Andy
admin on the sister forum, http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk
but being old and grey I like a bit of the military stuff too !

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group:

Unknown74

Re: XH558 to leave Doncaster in 2023, either dismantled or by ferry flight..

Post by Unknown74 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 am

Yorkshire, Elvington would be good, Vulcan, Nimrod taxi aircraft. Keep XH558 taxiable.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:04 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 am
Yorkshire, Elvington would be good, Vulcan, Nimrod taxi aircraft. Keep XH558 taxiable.
I would expect Elvington to be one of their two options but can't think where the other would be if they are considering a SHORT ferry flight if allowed

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group:

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 am

andygolfer wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:04 am
Unknown74 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 am
I would expect Elvington to be one of their two options but can't think where the other would be if they are considering a SHORT ferry flight if allowed
I'd have thought that Kemble or St Athan would have been in the mix. Unsure what they would define as short, if the CAA said no before then what has changed ? It would be costly and I don't think they'd raise the funds. Can't help but feel her future is in keyrings, sadly.

Rich
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:57 am

I doubt for a minute a ferry flight would be permitted, who would have the proficiency to fly it & has it properly been maintained in a flying rather than noisemaking/taxi condition.
Dismantling I suspect would be the only option but how would it be funded ?

Either way I suspect the begging bowl will be out again whilst the money previously raised toward the hangar is quietly forgotten.

My fear is after another round of begging insufficient funds will be raised & the poor old girl will be scrapped on-site.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:40 pm

Elvington has said on Faceache they are not in the running for taking 558.

I'd be amazed if they flew her out - I think best scenario would be to dismantle and move somewhere, as for where, who knows?

All the big museums already have a Vulcan, and if left outside it will get in a state if not cared for.

Doesnt look good - but I think we knew that a long time ago.

thevulcan

Post by thevulcan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm

Kemble would be a smart move other cold war jets there as well now Canberra's hunters phantoms and buccaneers. Soon to be a vampire too.
2023 Airshows

Too many to list :thumb:

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:01 pm

This is telling:
...While we acknowledge that it would be extremely sad to dismantle XH558 it would mean that ultimately, she will be preserved and will still be able to inform, educate and inspire future generations of engineers.
A clear acknowledgement that once dismantled, it could never run again...

...which, I think we all knew.

Let's face it, getting XH558 to a new location to be stuffed and mounted on static display is the best feasible outcome, because the chances of a ferry flight being granted are incredibly small. The trouble is, the chances of raising the funds to dismantle, transport and reassemble it may not be much better. Very sad.... :(

Drinkmat

Post by Drinkmat » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:30 am

If the CAA authorise a ferry flight I'll be amazed, as there are so many issues to overcome. From a practical air traffic aspect though, I'd speculate that should a flight be made, it's not as straightforward as planning to fly from A to B. Although that would be the plan, one or possibly two diversion airfields (C & D in this case) would also need to be nominated should some unforeseen emergency close the runway at the intended destination once '558 was airborne. Both airfields C & D would need to agree a potential diversionary landing, with the thought that should this very unlikely event happen, they could be saddled with a Vulcan on their airfield that may not be given authorisation for a second ferry flight by the CAA.

Aspects such as serviceable ejection seats and canopy jettison system, a gear-down flight with the obvious manual bailout issues and many others including insurance, I'll leave to others.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:20 pm

Guy Martin!

He’ll get 558 moved with a box of spanner’s & screwdrivers and a few oily rags! Channel 4 could make a programme about it too, then when 558 lands or lorrys into her new home everyone can go home in time for tea & medals! Job done!😆😆
And there's plenty more where that came from!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:30 pm

I'll settle for that if C.4 pick up the tab😃

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:21 pm

Can only see Teesside airport if a short ferry flight is granted. Not a bad home for 558 if Teesside want her.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 pm

Will be interesting to find out where Vulcan XH558 will end up, & how she gets there……?

Dreamliner2501

Post by Dreamliner2501 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:13 pm

Regarding a ferry flight, the biggest problem would be crowd control. When word gets out (and it will) of the date of a ferry flight you will probably have upwards of 100,000 people decend into the area at the end of the runway. It aint gonna happen !

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 pm

Scampton New Business Park and Museum if it gets the go ahead, just a thought.
Comfortably Numb

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:22 am

Is there a baked bean tin making factory near by? :grr:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am

plmc135 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:22 am
never seen a baked bean tin made from Aluminuim!?
Comfortably Numb

Gardenman2

Post by Gardenman2 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:42 am

Assembled sections of Vulcans were taken by road from the factory in Chadderton for final assembly and first flight at Woodford, so I would imagine it is possible to disassemble XH558 in to transportable sections but that the cost may be prohibitive. Unfortunately it will probably end up as just the nose section in the corner of a museum (better than nothing though). Perhaps the "Train Truckers" would be able to help!

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:27 am

baz1 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am
plmc135 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:22 am
never seen a baked bean tin made from Aluminuim!?
So, when you go shopping you look for an aluminium of baked beans? I think it would be a tin or can :thumbs:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:53 am

i dont shop errr indoors does that :lol: :D
Comfortably Numb

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”