Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Vulcan memories

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
johnhowe

Re: Vulcan memories

Post by johnhowe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:37 am

http://blog.adsgroup.org.uk/countdown-f ... rrel-roll/ After Roly left Farnborough he looped his Vulcan over his home factory, I think it was Chadderton/Woodford

My personal experiences of the Vulcan apart from Airshows was seeing it on the East Coast Ranges RAF Cowden, RAF Theddlethorpe St Helens, RAF North Coates.

But probably the greatest thrill was seeing the Vulcan recently at Spadeadam whilst transitting up to Leuchars. This was probably on a par with one friday afternoon
when a B2 turned up out of the blue.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Romeo Bravo.
My late father-in-law, Tom Davies, may well have taught you? :S
Charlie :roll:
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

gary616

Post by gary616 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm

The first aircraft I ever saw was a white Vulcan doing it's display at RAF St. Athan in 1963 when I was 5 years old, I was in absolute awe of it & still am to this day. Fast forward to 1981 or 82, maybe someone reading this will recall this & correct me with the a/c serial number. A group of about 12 of us went to St.Athan at home day & we were all waiting for the Vulcan to display & having a few drinks to keep us cool, we seemed to have hotter longer summers in those days. The time came for the Vulcan & it was doing a brilliant display with the ground & our bodies shaking with the sound of the engines. As we were watching it come back around it seemed to be quite low & coming straight for us over the crowd. I thought he's over cooked this & we were going to get a hair cut from it, the engines screamed into the loudest roar I've ever heard in my life, women & children were scattering as he came right over us & powered up into the sky. I grabbed my camera as quick as I could & took a picture, I thought I'll never be this close to a flying Vulcan again. It certainly got the adrenalin running to say the least & everyone was talking about it. We heard later the Station Commander summoned the pilot for a severe reprimand, I thought wow what a display !!!
Gary616

one1938

Post by one1938 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Remember seeing one on fire and crashing

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:40 am

John Howe, was that a B-2, or B-1 around 15 years- came over my works nr Kendal at around 1500ft heading into the Lakes.

rj.mad

Post by rj.mad » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Aarhus44 wrote:I grew up with the Vulcan B2 from the early 70's till today. Akrotiri, Waddington as a child then 1989-1990 as an Airman. I worked opposite the hangar where 558 was housed.

50 Sqn used to do the best displays, often flying so low they would on occasion clip the tops of trees in Wellington Square by No 66 where I lived. Another time I saw a 9 Sqn one go off the end of runway by the A15 and bury itself in the mud. My father towed it out.
I wish i could say wellington square still saw these spectacles today. The final waddington vulcan display 2 weekends ago however was a beauty and the best spot was the gravel track at the bottom of wellington square !!

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Having lived only 3 miles from RAF Scampton during the 70's & 80's. I used to see the Vulcans & Hastings flying everyday and remember the Vulcan engine runs late at night. Also
Seeing the Vulcans at RAF Waddington doing practise scrambles & solo displays and formation flypasts with Phantoms on Sliver Jubilee Good times!!

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”